Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 AM

5,858 posts, read 11,873,334 times

Advertisements

Gearing up for the holiday shopping, I ran across the promotion for supporting local businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I was going to start a thread a few days back and ask for inputs on favorite local stores. Now there is even more of a reason! Also, American Express is running a promo where you get a $25 credit if you spend $25 or more at a local business.

I visited A-Town on Burnet Rd the other day. It has some interesting items. I also like Austin Gift Company in the Target shopping center at Ben White and S Lamar. Gold Creations on S Lamar has an eclectic selection of jewelry besides being a great place to have jewelry work done. So, what are your favorite local stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,630,975 times
Moonies is my fav local place! lol

Old 11-15-2011, 06:08 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,077,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Gearing up for the holiday shopping, I ran across the promotion for supporting local businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I was going to start a thread a few days back and ask for inputs on favorite local stores. Now there is even more of a reason! Also, American Express is running a promo where you get a $25 credit if you spend $25 or more at a local business.

I visited A-Town on Burnet Rd the other day. It has some interesting items. I also like Austin Gift Company in the Target shopping center at Ben White and S Lamar. Gold Creations on S Lamar has an eclectic selection of jewelry besides being a great place to have jewelry work done. So, what are your favorite local stores?
I dont shop much, but my wife seems to buy a lot of stuff at baby coco and terra toys

Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,491,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Moonies is my fav local place! lol
+1 for Moonies

I'll hit the ACE Hardware(locally owned and same strip center as the original Moonies) and The Gun Store in Cedar Park. Bicycle Sport Shop(Parmer) and Tomlinson's(for the Scottie-girl) are also nearby. Might also visit Red's Indoor Range in Pf-ville and Turquoise Trading Post on Burnet. Sportsman's Finest if I find myself near Bee Cave Rd.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:33 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,055,061 times
Terra Toys, Tomlinson's Pets, Bookpeople, Ten Thousand Villages, Toy Joy, Parts & Labor, Kendra Scott, By George, Breed & Co., Lambs Candy, Waterloo Records: these are my standbys for Christmas gifts along with the Travis Heights Art Trail and Etsy!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM

15,254 posts, read 35,513,232 times
I get supporting your local businesses, but also check to see if you can buy stuff that is also made in-country or, at the least, in a country with comparable environmental and safety standards. I would rather buy American-made at Target rather than Chinese-made at Breed and Co.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,055,061 times
Man, at the prices you have to pay at Breed & Co, it better not be made in PRC! ouch.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 PM

15,254 posts, read 35,513,232 times
Well, you just have to be 'careful' - local or not, everyone is out to make money, and if you do have a supply of cheaper items that you can sell at a huge mark-up amongst the more expensive U.S. made items, you might just make a tidy profit. B&Co was just an example, though, I still can't afford to shop there :P.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

5,858 posts, read 11,873,334 times
I haven't been to Ten Thousand Villages here - I went to the one in Winter park, FL. They are not "local" per se, but I love their mission of bringing handmade pieces from developing countries and fair trade practices.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,828,340 times
Breed & Company stocks a lot of locally-made products. However, they also carry all sorts of popular kitchen items and hardware items people expect... and some of those things are obviously going to be made in China. That's not their fault. You can't buy a light bulb (CFL) that isn't made in China. Same with a lot of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin