Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM

5 posts, read 10,850 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband has just been offered a transfer from Boston area to Austin area (Manchaca Rd?). We are in touch with a real estate agent, but I wanted to get some opinons from all you great people who actually LIVE there!! I have done a little research on here and have come up with some conflicting info. ... Heres my situation and hopefully (maybe!) someone can offer me some insight!

We really like the idea of a master planned community (I know, I know.. may seem cookie cutter to some..but we like the idea!) and in the price range of $140-$175 ish ..originally we had been looking North of Austin (Round Rock etc) but have been told my a number of people that the commute can be pretty hairy.. so we have been given a number of listings in Plum Creek. It looks beautiful online and of course we do plan to visit, but what is the commute like? What is the area around it like? (outside of Plum Creek ?) We have also been given some listings that we like in Bunton Creek? Any thoughts?

Would it be wise to stay in Southwest Austin in the Olympic Heights neighborhood?

Your thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated. We have limited time to come visit and sort of want to narrow our search down to a reasonable area. We do have small kids, so schools are important. Thank you! thank you! thank you! in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Commuting up 35 wouldn't be much better than from RR. If you do leave early (on 35 @ 7am) it's not horrible (30-40min). I did that 5 years ago so it's probably worse now. Olympic Heights causes you to commute up Brodie which is pretty bad but relatively easy if you leave before 7. I do the Brodie commute right now and I hit the Frate Barker light, where OH is, at about 6:55 and it's usually 25 minutes to get to Barton Skyway from there. Hitting that spot at 7:15 and it's 45+ minutes.

You do have the option of Manchaca to Lamar to get downtown but Manchaca to 290 will take 30-40 minutes leaving at 7am. I do this to take my wife to work when we drop off her car for oil changes at the Lugnuts on Manchaca. Traffic isn't too heavy but you hit light after light after light.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:00 PM

29 posts, read 111,183 times
I live in Plum Creek and it's been a wonderful experience. I can go on-and-on about this neighborhood, but that would probably be boring. I will say that with the detached garages/alleys, white picket fences, and large variety of house designs, Plum Creek's not your typical cookie-cutter Master Planned Community.

Manchaca Rd is an easy commute from here without ever getting on IH 35 (FM 2770 to FM 1626 to Manchaca Rd). My sister-in-law lives in the Olympic Heights area so we make that drive quite a bit and it's no more than a 20 minute drive, no matter the time of day.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
I misread the above post. I'm sure antennaball means 20 minutes from Olympic Heights not Plum Creek. At rush hour, it will not be 20 minutes from Olympic Heights. If that was the case all the Brodie traffic would be traveling up Manchaca Rd instead.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,719 times
Plum Creek is a nice little community. It's imperative that you're ok with being part of an HOA though.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM

36 posts, read 145,876 times
The schools that Olympic is zoned for are not that great. Plum Creek is nice but you don't have a privacy fence in the backyard. Only a small white picket fence. I don't know if that matters to you but something to think about. Waterleaf is on the east side of 35 and is a master planned community. It's a pretty nice subdivision.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
If your husband's job location is Mancheca Road, there is no reason whatsoever that you should live north of Austin.

There are lots of choices in South and Southwest Austin that would make the commute much easier.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,850 times
Thanks so much everyone for the info! Are there any other suggestions for master planned communities in the south/southwest areas? We do want somewhere with excellant schools and under $170k! Any advice, suggestions/ideas are so greatly appreciated!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:58 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
I don't know where you decided to live. But Plum Creek is really a wonderful family community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin