Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM

170 posts, read 826,694 times

Advertisements

Time for another question for the expert forum!

I've been looking for a lab puppy for quite a while. Yesterday I found a family in Round Rock that has a litter or cute little babies ready to be adopted. The babies and the parents look happy and healthy, and they're so cute! But before bringing one home, I'd like to have her checked out by a vet to make sure she's healthy.

The reason I want to do this is that a few of the puppies (there were nine in total!) have little small scabs. Not all the babies have this, but I think four or five out of the nine have them. And it isn't all over, but those four or five might have one or two little scabs each. I asked the "human parents" about it, and they said that it's just from the puppies playing, biting, and scratching each other, and she assured me that the puppies are healthy. I'm a nursing student, so I have "some" experience and education with microbiology, parasites, bacterial infections, etc. And from what I can tell, the dogs don't have fleas or ticks, and I don't think it's mange or lyme disease. The little scabs don't look infected, in fact they don't seem to be bleeding at all, they just like little crusty brown scabs, and again, it's just a few dogs that have maybe one or two each. They otherwise appear to be very healthy, happy, and playful. And the parents also look extremely healthy, have good tempers, etc.

The point I'm making is, regardless, I'd like to take one of them to get checked out before choosing to bring her home to my house which has another dog and two cats. These puppies are cute and I'm not really worried that they're sick, but if they are, I don't want it spreading to my other pets. So, I'm looking for recommendations on a vet that would accept a walk-in general health checkup in Round Rock, and potentially be able to do a skin scrape on-site to be able to tell me what those little scabs are exactly.

The family lives off of exit 251 in Round Rock, just north of 45. There is a Petsmart with an on-site vet, and they accept walk-ins but told me they're pretty busy today so I should expect a long wait. Do any of you have any other tips or recommendations? I'd want something near where they live in Round Rock. I live in South Austin, so there are a bunch of options, but I want the puppy to be checked out today, near where they live, before I pay the owners and take her home permanently.

Thanks guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:02 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
If you're not going to rescue a dog, then I would only consider getting a puppy from a licensed breeder. Doesn't sound like these folks are - just some people who happen to have puppies. Do they have their lineage and are willing to give you a copy? Are the dame and sire registered? Have you met the dame and sire? Do they offer any kind of health guarantee or guarantee on their hips?

The fact that you have any concerns should be your clue to look elsewhere. Don't be blinded by the fact that they are cute. All puppies are cute.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:36 AM

307 posts, read 721,560 times
really well put! An old girlfriend did what the poster is about to do, get a cute pup from some private people who recently had a litter. Dog had lots of problems for their entire (short) life...
I have two rescued dogs and they are the best dogs I've ever owned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
If you're not going to rescue a dog, then I would only consider getting a puppy from a licensed breeder. Doesn't sound like these folks are - just some people who happen to have puppies. Do they have their lineage and are willing to give you a copy? Are the dame and sire registered? Have you met the dame and sire? Do they offer any kind of health guarantee or guarantee on their hips?

The fact that you have any concerns should be your clue to look elsewhere. Don't be blinded by the fact that they are cute. All puppies are cute.

Last edited by bpvarian; 11-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: mis-spellings

Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,708 times
Forest Creek Animal Hospital on Red Bud Lane. Great prices, loving service.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,281 times
Go to the pound and save a dog - the best thing you could do! At least they all have had medical check-ups and shots already. All you pay is for the adoption fees.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:49 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
If your heart is set on a lab, check out Heart of Texas Lab Rescue.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:57 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
This is not an answer to the question you asked but it would be well worth it for you to read through these questions before you commit to this breeder. The scabs sound very suspect to me.

Choosing a Dog Breeder

This is not a small decision and a dog is not a dog is not a dog when it comes to a new family member that you should be committing to for the long haul.

As far as rescues go...it all depends on how much experience you have with dogs and whether or not that dog will be around small children, etc. Unfortunately a clueless new dog owner and a traumatized pup do not always make the best mix and said pup often ends up back in rescue even more traumatized. Rescue is not for everyone.

That being said, make sure you choose a reputable breeder as not to reward those who truly don't care about bettering the breed of the dog they own. Temperament and health issues are bred down the line. When we got our Golden it was like an FBI interview on the breeder's end. That pup was not going to just any old family and the breeder who has been doing it for 30 years made sure we had the right personality pup for our family. You wouldn't think it matters but it truly does. We asked all the hard questions about lineage, etc. and she was able to provide proper documentation on health and temperament for generations of the line. We played with the mother and the aunt of our dog as well as a pup from another litter of hers and spent over 3 hours with the breeder observing our kids with the dogs. The pups had seen a vet several times as well and she had all shot records for us. That's how a good breeder behaves.

Good luck with whatever you decide and taking the pup to the vet first is a really good idea!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:04 PM

437 posts, read 792,492 times
Do not buy this dog without her being checked by a Vet. This could be a very expensive problem that you can avoid. You may want to revisit the site and check around. Puppies with scabs is a red flag of several types problems. Call and make an appointment. And BTW, there's lots of baby labs out there, so you do not need to settle. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
A legitimate breeder will provide a contract that guarantees the health of the puppies. Most casual breeders will not. We once bought a kitten that within the first week came down with the cat version of distemper. Turns out that the shots the breeder had given failed. But this was a legit breeder with registered cats and we had a contract; she paid all of the vet bills. The kitty pulled through and was a great can, but it was expensive (for the breeder.) At this point in my life, I am more likely to go the rescue route, but if I were to buy from a breeder, I would only buy with a written and signed health guarantee.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:05 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
On the flip side of this, if the poster doesn't get the puppy (assuming it checks out fine with the vet), it is likely to be turned over to a shelter and will then turn into a rescue animal. I say have the pup checked out and if it is healthy, or something that is easily fixed, take it home and give it a happy life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin