Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 PM

45 posts, read 198,151 times

Advertisements

Hi --

I've started to downsize/clear out my parents' possessions, and one of the big items is a Steinway Grand Piano, which they bought (used) in 1961.

Any ideas for selling it? I don't want to do it directly, but rather either have a dealer buy it from me, or put it on consignment.

The obvious candidates are Strait Music, and the local Steinway gallery. I'm really unfamiliar with the Austin musical instrument scene. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 11:41 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASgeek View Post
Hi --

I've started to downsize/clear out my parents' possessions, and one of the big items is a Steinway Grand Piano, which they bought (used) in 1961.

Any ideas for selling it? I don't want to do it directly, but rather either have a dealer buy it from me, or put it on consignment.

The obvious candidates are Strait Music, and the local Steinway gallery. I'm really unfamiliar with the Austin musical instrument scene. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
ebay will get you a national market. You can make it so the buyer has to take care of all moving etc. For something that expensive you can just hire pros to pack it up and ship (but buyer pays shipping).

You can also take a look at ebay and google to see around what it is worth. What year is it from and what model is it?

Old 11-26-2011, 06:44 AM

Not sure on the year and model -- just that it is pre-1961. When I'm next at their house (Sunday) I'll try to get the serial number and any other information.

I figure that a Steinway dealer, or Steinway HQ, can run the serial number and give me the information.

It seems to me that, after that, the first step will be to get the piano assessed, tuned and appraised -- so I need to find a knowledgeable piano appraiser (and a tuner).

Any suggestions for that step? Again, I suppose I can ask at Strait or the Steinway Gallery -- or the UT Music Dept?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:04 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
I'm not sure who to deal with here, locally, but years ago I sold a piano I inherited to a dealer where I lived at the time. That was before the internet.

I don't think I'd do Ebay...........too much trouble, and surely there are alot of people around here (or SA,) who'd be interested in purchasing.

Steinway is one of the best! Is it truly a concert grand or a baby grand? You might do well to sell it to a university with a good music program. Checking with UT or Texas State Music Depts. at least for advice is a great idea.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:30 PM

I've done some more investigating. It's a 1909 Steinway Model 0 (5'10", so a smaller grand). To my untutored eye and ear it's in great shape other than yellowed ivory keys, but I'm naive: almost by definition, at its age it will need some degree of "restoration" to bring it back to full potential.

I don't want to mess with eBay, or even craigslist.

My best bet will be to find someone locally who is willing to buy an unrestored piano in very good shape, as an investment.

I've tracked down three restorers in the central Texas area who might have advice. I will also contact the UT and Texas State music departments for their advice as well -- thanks for the San Marcos suggestion.

Finally, I found inside the piano the card of the licensed piano technician who tuned int in 1991, and he's still in business, specializing in grands. I think he might be my first call.

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM

3,075 posts, read 3,262,375 times
Actually CL or ebay might be your better bets. Local dealers have little incentive to sell your used piano as the margins on new pianos can be far greater (with Steinways anyway). Depending on condition, you may get a restorer to buy it outright, but then they'll only offer you "core" cost, similar to what you would expect trading in a car (they start at current market value and subtract any costs they think they may incur to restore plus enough for profit).

First step is to find yourself a good technician with no vested interest (try Bill Cory) in the piano. I know personally that there are a few techs who will not be looking out for your best interests. They can give you the lowdown and some suggestions on how best to move forward. Keep in mind that any type of "market value" appraisal is highly subjective. Selling a grand piano can be a hit or miss deal. Finding someone with the budget for the piano who won't be enticed by a new (or newer) piano can be tough. Of course this all depends on how much you want to try to get out of it.

Also consider that Tx State/San Marcos has very few Steinways (mainly Yammies) esp. compared to UT.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
A few years ago my sister found a used baby grand for her church, and the church bought it. She was shopping for several months for something with good sound that wasn't too much. You might check with churches in your area. Most can't afford new pianos, so may be looking for a quality used one. But I would have it appraised first, so you know what a fair price would be. And if you want, you can give them a price break and your parents can take a charitable deduction on that amount.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:12 PM

319 posts, read 737,056 times
A couple things.

1) I have no relationship or affiliation, but I have been very satisfied with how Strait music conducts business. The owner is there most days. It is local, Austin, and I think giving them business is a good thing. I have bought a drum set, guitars, etc. from them.
2) I am in the market for a grand piano. If you have any pictures, etc. please send me a direct message and we can communicate.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Hi all --

Reviving this thread from obscurity.

We're now ready to sell the piano. Last week been serviced and appraised by a DMA technician, who was very pleased with its condition. He confirmed that it is a Steinway Model O built in 1909, noted the work that needs to be done to bring it back to "like new" condition, and given us a fair market price. We have his detailed appraisal available for potential customers.

So, before we grit our teeth and put an ad on Craigslist, does any else have other ideas?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Well, contact Curious! Maybe she is still interested. Then contact some churches, private schools, as well as all your other previous sources (UT, TX-State San Marcos, Strait Music, etc) good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin