Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times

Advertisements

KeepEanesInformed is somewhat similar to Ltisdinfo. The latter is run by a person who files FIA requests every morning. He apparently has nothing better to do than report the salaries of everyone in the district, how often computers are repaired, and many many similar pieces of data. This self-described watchdog has an ax to grind because his special needs child hasn't gotten what the watchdog thinks is justified.

School districts aren't perfect by anyone's standard. They make mistakes every day in something. Some child, some parent, some taxpayer is unhappy all the time.

There are never any "good news" websites. With most good public schools, people who are happy with the education don't start websites to say how happy they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
Well, I'll admit.............I didn't read through everyone's comments thoroughly........yet.....I will eventually.

Eanes is filled with the following: Extremely wealthy people worth gazillons, and people who are scraping two nickles together to make it, and everything in between.

YES, you will be accepted if you are "artistic," etc.

I am at Westlake HS as a volunteer every week, and more....... amongst the kids, and I am in a position to interact alot, and they are from one side of spectrum to the other. Some are rich, some are poor. Some are bright and Harvard "material," and others are going to ACC.

Some are preppy and others are sporting offbeat hair colors, outfits, etc.

Don't let a "pre-conception'" throw you, and go take a visit. Don't go in there thinking, "We're so different that nobody is as unique as we are." Believe me..........you will definitely find others with your goals / interests as well.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:40 PM

21 posts, read 47,315 times
yes, thank you olikee -- i really do believe there are all kinds, wherever i may go! its just something about the "thought" of going to such an unfamiliar environment has me (frankly) a bit scared...sounds silly, doesn't it!?

i just want to go into it feeling good about the decision.

its such a lot of pressure, making decisions for these little people who can't yet tell us what they need/want!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi2tx View Post
yes, thank you olikee -- i really do believe there are all kinds, wherever i may go! its just something about the "thought" of going to such an unfamiliar environment has me (frankly) a bit scared...sounds silly, doesn't it!?

i just want to go into it feeling good about the decision.

its such a lot of pressure, making decisions for these little people who can't yet tell us what they need/want!
It's a big decision.........As a parent, I have made somes good ones, and some not-so-good ones..........esp. regarding education. I can't look back , but wish my kids could have spent their middle school years at Eanes.

There will be people who share your political views or not whereever you move to.............so don't let that damper your decision. I think most people are very tolerant of others in that regard around here.

Again, you have to do what feels right for you, and what is best for your children. Don't get over- or under- whelmed by the sports / arts, etc. at Eanes. Like I said, there is big support for all interests.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM

And, lastly.............before I go to bed, I moved from that fun, quirky, interesting neighborhood you described (but in a different city,) because of the educational issues regarding my kids..............best decision ever!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
I live in Woodhaven. Great neighborhood with an eclectic mix of originals (empty nesters who bought their homes new in the 1970s and never moved), young families, and older (teen) families like us. Lots of walkers, dog walkers, and parents who, god forbid, walk their kids to school each morning and back home in the afternoon. Everyone we know is laid back, easy going and educated but not snooty.

It's an easy walk to the shops and restaurants at Bee Cave/Walsh Tarlton, or to the bus stop which catches the #30 through Zilker and into downtown. We've taken the bus a few times just to go eat downtown without the parking hassle. I'll be riding it back and for for SXSW Interactive next year instead of driving and parking. Trianon Coffee is our favorite. My wife attends the Spanish Meetup there on Sunday mornings while I hang out and read the paper. It's a great lifestyle. It's a super easy and convenient location to live.

Another thing I like about Woodhaven and the other "Walsh Tarlton area" neighborhoods is that the people aren't uptight and competitive about having ornamental lawns and perfect houses. My yard looks like crap, half dead, after the drought. So do some others. Nobody cares, though there are some very pretty yards too. I'll deal with it next Spring.

These areas definitely don't smack of affluence, yet I can see a certain "turning over" of the neighborhoods as the older homes are hitting their functional obsolescence stages. There is always at least a few extensive remodels and rehabs happening, even a tear-down last year. So it's still a good time to buy into Woodhaven as it's heading into a regenerative stage of the neighborhood life cycle over the coming decade or two.

With regard to the education. We did the K-8 Private -> Eanes High School route with both kids. If I knew what I know now, I would have gone Eanes K-12 and bought here in 1999. Though we've only personally experienced the high school, we have friends and clients with small kids in Cedar Creek Elementary and Hill Country Middle, and all are very happy.

My oldest graduated Westlake High last year and is in her Freshman year at TCU, in the Honors College. She was an "average" WHS student (not top 10%, but top 1/3) but was highly desired by colleges and offered good scholarships. Westlake kids have a good reputation at the colleges they attend. She was an acting/singing kid and enjoyed the theater and dance classes and joined Choir her senior year at Westlake. The theater and choir programs are top notch, better in fact than most colleges (as is the band, and just about all the programs). Go see the musical put on at the end of each year. Your jaw will drop. We're talking professional grade performances all around. These kids are incredibly artistic and talented.

My younger daughter is more into sports and technology. I'm floored, stunned and blown away by the Robotics program at Westlake. It's unbelievable the level of exposure and training to the scientific method she is receiving as a 9th grader. She's learning how to think seriously, like an engineer, and having fun at the same time. They were drag racing small robot cars they built down the halls last week in class. They have to write code to program these things. Check out the robotics website. Again, this is way beyond what many colleges can offer.

Youngest will be sticking to the STEM programs because she has an aptitude and desire for that and is good in math.

Any kid can "find her tribe" in the Eanes system. One would almost have to purposefully duck and avoid involvement to not get caught in the "current", which is a culture of academic excellence and having fun.

Is it perfect? No. Of course not. But good grief. I mean, come on. It's in the top 100 high schools in the nation. One would have to be a mighty picky parent to deem Westlake High unsuitable.

Steve

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 AM

guys, this info is invaluable....i can't thank you enough!!! steve, the details about the school are great. thanks. this will help me make a case for the move.

sheesh, now I want to go to westlake high. i wonder if they would take a 41 year old transfer student

olikee -- if you don't want to share publicly could you email me - - where did your kids go to middle school? (aisd?) did you indeed move to eanes "for the schools?" i take it you noticed a big jump in quality in eanes? and finally, because i am curious, what cool city did you leave to move here

THANKS!!

Last edited by wi2tx; 11-30-2011 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Well, I'll admit.............I didn't read through everyone's comments thoroughly........yet.....I will eventually.

Eanes is filled with the following: Extremely wealthy people worth gazillons, and people who are scraping two nickles together to make it, and everything in between.

YES, you will be accepted if you are "artistic," etc.

I am at Westlake HS as a volunteer every week, and more....... amongst the kids, and I am in a position to interact alot, and they are from one side of spectrum to the other. Some are rich, some are poor. Some are bright and Harvard "material," and others are going to ACC.

Some are preppy and others are sporting offbeat hair colors, outfits, etc.

Don't let a "pre-conception'" throw you, and go take a visit. Don't go in there thinking, "We're so different that nobody is as unique as we are." Believe me..........you will definitely find others with your goals / interests as well.
Okilee. the stats dont support your conjecture of rich vs poor or even minorities. Obviously there are "some", but the implication is that there are enough that a typical student could be friends with many types of people simply isnt true.

Westlake has 1% african american students
Westlake has 1% free lunch students
Westlake is 84% white

To compare,
westwood is 3.9% african american
11% free lunch
61% white

LASA is 8% african american
18% free lunch
51% white

Im not saying it is good or bad, just that you are being incredibly disingenuous if you try to imply that westlake is not heavily white and very wealthy. Of course you can meet "some" african americans, one of the 25 (out of around 2500 students) in the entire school. You might even be able to meet one of the 45 students that are eligible for a free lunch.

Westlake boomed originally because it was the white flight area when AISD started bussing.

Again, it all depends on what people want, but dont pretend that westlake high has any kind of diversity at all. It is a great school and definitely has great academics. I periodically consider whether I want to move to send my kids there. Being wealthy isnt bad and being around wealthy people isnt bad, eanes ISD is very wealthy by any measure.

Eanes ISD Housing Prices

Median For Sale: $799,000
Median Land: $425,000
Median Rental: $1,513

As another poster joked: The westlake graduates will be the bosses of the westwood graduates. (thats all right, thats ok, you're going to work for us some day).

Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM

good to know--

also here is something interesting i found today

how much each district spent per pupil in 2010, which doesn't say that much, but is interesting

austin

eanes

Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
I want to jump in here. My son started attending a very small private "alternative" school this year. Over half the student body comes from the Eanes school district. Many of those families moved to their homes for the schools and were disappointed. It's still a "factory based educational model" where kids are expected to conform and kids take standardized tests. If you want something innovative, you are going to need to go the private route.

Since he started this private alternative school, our son has never been happier in an educational environment and every kid works at his own pace. He felt stifled in the public school system as did many of the kids that came from the Eanes school district. I want to add that this particular school is NOT a "gifted" school so it is open to all kids.

When we moved here we chose to live in Circle C because of the 'exemplary' schools in the neighborhood. After a year, we started homeschooling and a year and a half later, we finally found the right fit for our son. We pay $850 a month. That is a big sacrifice for us as we don't really have the extra money - we gave up dining out and all extras so that we could do this.

Last edited by Jennibc; 11-30-2011 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin