U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM

460 posts, read 628,195 times

Advertisements

At least according to the detailed chart on this site:

How America spends on electronics [Infographic] : Bundle

FYI: San Jose, CA is #1.

The short article says they used actual spending data to come up with this (I was actually browsing an audio gear forum and saw this - anyone else own a home stereo system, you know, those things made up of receivers, CD players and speakers? I think we're a dying breed , maybe because they won't fit in your pocket?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM

12,728 posts, read 12,969,122 times
Three of the top five are college towns.

FWIW - I still believe in "hi-fi"

Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,371,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
anyone else own a home stereo system, you know, those things made up of receivers, CD players and speakers? I think we're a dying breed , maybe because they won't fit in your pocket?).
I think there are probably more people out there with these setups because of surround sound systems. You need a nice receiver with HDMI switching to support your 55" LED, PS3, Blu-ray player, and WD TV Live. Then you can listen to the Pandora app on the TV and the iPod dock on your 7.1 A/V receiver. Not to mention play the movie files in True HD sound through your WD TV that you downloaded using uTorrent.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Three of the top five are college towns.
I didn't notice that - that would definitely make a difference.

Quote:
FWIW - I still believe in "hi-fi"

Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 AM

206 posts, read 532,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
anyone else own a home stereo system, you know, those things made up of receivers, CD players and speakers? I think we're a dying breed , maybe because they won't fit in your pocket?).
The only thing dying around my house is my pocket book as I have certainly contributed my fair share to that average. I LOVE the home theater experience.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I think there are probably more people out there with these setups because of surround sound systems.......
There's definitely that group and I should know since I used to sell exactly that type of gear to those people! I just recently bought a new A/V receiver but due to some ongoing remodeling haven't set it up yet. Plus audio in general has been a major hobby for me to for years.

What I should have written in my post was that stereo-only home audio component systems for music playback are becoming rare (though adoption of vinyl playback has slowed that down somewhat). Seems like "cool" iPod dock gizmos and headphones have taken over, even for older people who didn't grow up in the age of the MP3. IMO they are missing out on how good music can sound in the "open air" even with a basic $400 component system.

Maybe I ought to start a thread about this in the technology forum.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin