Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM

252 posts, read 718,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
360 to the west, 183 to the north and east, William Cannon to the south. Inside of that is Austin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormatt View Post
That's about my thoughts give or take 5-10 miles in each direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Sounds like "central Austin egotisim".

When I bought in the Oak Hill area, it was in the City of Austin city limits even way back in 1981.
What areas beyond 5-10 miles out in each direction of that vicinity am I excluding that you would consider to be Austin? I think that pretty much covers all the reasonable areas, including Oak Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Not to mention Georgetown, Manor, Elgin, Lockhart, Dripping Springs, Liberty Hill, Bastrop . . . all towns that have strong identities of their own and are within that distance.

Miles is not a good indicator.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM

252 posts, read 718,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not to mention Georgetown, Manor, Elgin, Lockhart, Dripping Springs, Liberty Hill, Bastrop . . . all towns that have strong identities of their own and are within that distance.

Miles is not a good indicator.
Georgetown, Elgin, Lockhart, Dripping Springs, Liberty Hill and Bastrop aren't within 10mi of that boundary. I agree they've strong identities and stand separate from Austin.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormatt View Post
Georgetown, Elgin, Lockhart, Dripping Springs, Liberty Hill and Bastrop aren't within 10mi of that boundary. I agree they've strong identities and stand separate from Austin.
Sorry, didn't quote initially and thus crossposted with your later post and caused confusion. Here's what I was responding to:

Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane
I consider anything within 30-40 miles out, still "part of Austin" in that, if someone asks where we live, I will say Austin if they do not know the area, or I will say the actual town if someone asks that lives in Austin....

That'd be Round Rock and San Marcos to the North and South - I think they're both big enough and unique enough to stand on their own. I think there'd be a greater chance of someone outside TX knowing of those cities than not.

All of the towns I mentioned are within 30-40 miles of Austin (most are within 30 miles, a couple are closer to 34 miles). Just like Round Rock and San Marcos in your post.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,702 times
We bought our house in Austin proper--that means our kids attended schools in AISD and we were in the city limits. We almost bought a house in Canyon Creek--our kids would have attended RR ISD, but our mailing address would have been Austin. Both of these places would qualify as Austin to me. On the other hand, if the mailing address is RR or some other suburb plus your kids don't go to AISD, then that's not Austin. It's the "Austin area" or something.

We lived in Plano, a suburb of Dallas for many years. There were people who lived in the Dallas city limits whose kids went to either Richardson or Plano schools. These people had Dallas addresses; therefore they lived in Dallas. Our mailing address was Plano, so no I don't think I could claim I lived in Dallas. The metroplex, yes. Dallas, no.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:07 PM

737 posts, read 1,582,560 times
Quote:
Sorry, didn't quote initially and thus crossposted with your later post and caused confusion. Here's what I was responding to:

Originally Posted by janejanejanejanejane
I consider anything within 30-40 miles out, still "part of Austin" in that, if someone asks where we live, I will say Austin if they do not know the area, or I will say the actual town if someone asks that lives in Austin....

That'd be Round Rock and San Marcos to the North and South - I think they're both big enough and unique enough to stand on their own. I think there'd be a greater chance of someone outside TX knowing of those cities than not.

All of the towns I mentioned are within 30-40 miles of Austin (most are within 30 miles, a couple are closer to 34 miles). Just like Round Rock and San Marcos in your post.

When you put it that way, I see everything in a different light.
San Marcos is about as far as Lakeway/ Bee Caves and such is from the city (maybe 5 more miles)....Interesting how I consider those two Austin and SM not. Hmmm

Old 12-05-2011, 06:25 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
30 years ago the MSA, Metropolitian Statistical Area for Austin was "Austin-San Marcos" now it is "Austin-Round Rock"

SM is not very far away and before Dell Computers, SM had closer economic ties to Austin then to (then) tiny RR.

Metropolitan Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I live in Victoria, and I think I am past the limit. We consider Smithville to be "living in Victoria".

Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,429 times
We moved to Austin in 1985 and I was firm on living IN AUSTIN, not by Austin, or near Austin, or close to Austin, but IN AUSTIN. You see so much on TV and in print about Austin and people regard Austin as special. I guess it is a bragging rights thing with me.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but it's flat inaccurate to write off communities that have been there for as long as Austin (or in some cases longer) and that have only recently been seen as anywhere near the city itself as "suburbs" of Austin just so you can say you live in Austin.

Lakeway may be something of an exception, if it'll make you feel any better, because it's newer, but when it was built in the early 1970's it was waaaayyyyy out in the boonies and built NOT in Austin but as its own little city (and is still governed that way, I believe).
I'm not writing anyone off. If they've been there as long, or longer than Austin, then they should absolutely lay claim to who they really are, instead of just "Austin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin