U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2011, 11:07 PM

395 posts, read 504,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cczaphod View Post
I've been listening to NPR to get myself in the mind set (or at least to prepare not to strangle any liberals)
Please stay in Dallas.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 7,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mintjulep View Post
Please stay in Dallas.
Tongue firmly in cheek -- I consider myself Independent and my voting record shows the same.

As an Liberal island in a sea of conservatives, you need a sense of humor, I'd fit in, really :-D

Old 12-08-2011, 05:19 AM
Status: "Ain't no cure for the summertime blues!" (set 8 days ago)

2,684 posts, read 5,226,361 times
Dude, you're in Dallas - it's less than a 4 hour trip. Why not hop in the car this weekend and come check it out. Austin was also known as Silicon Hills during the dot com heyday. There is a lot of tech work here - not so much as Dallas, but probably the same percentage in a size for size comparison.

One question to ask yourself is if you really like living in Dallas and all it has to offer. Because Austin is a great place to live, but it's ain't Dallas and doesn't try to be. It's more like a big town that a big city, but that's what gives it some of it's charm. Also, do you like the sense of adventure of moving to a new place or are you more comfortable staying with what's familiar? Doesn't matter the destination, if you're not comfortable with moving, you won't be happy.

Check out some of the threads on things to do in Austin and then make a trip and see for yourself. The 360 corridor is some of the prettiest area in Austin, and to the west of that is Lake Travis - also very scenic and will give you an idea of how close your water recreation can be.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all the great replies.

I know Austin is pretty, love the hills, trees, river/lakes. I've got family in Georgetown and Hutto and have driven through on my way to San Antonio many times.

I'm more concerned with the tech job market. Sounds like most of it is North of town, where my company is South West. In Dallas I've generally found new jobs within a matter of days, usually just a call to my recruiter to get several options for new contracts. I haven't had to look for a job lately, but have seen similar results for people in my field here.

Traffic sounds worse as well. I lived in Southlake (near lake Grapevine in DFW) for many years and commuted to downtown Dallas, downtown Fort Worth, and various places between with minimal drama.

I'm not showing up without a job, but need to do my due diligence before moving the family out of what has been fairly easy pickings job for wise for literally decades here in Dallas.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,638,622 times
There is no reason to move to Austin from Dallas. You will be seriously DOWNGRADING your lifestyle. North Dallas is far more high end with so much more to do. Job opportunities will be far greater in the Dallas area.
If you look at the "CORE" areas that make for a good quality of life, Dallas is far and away superior in nearly everything.

Sure, Austin is the "Gateway to Hilbillly country", but just take a short drive up to the Arbuckle Mountains in Oklahoma. For more interesting.

Quote:
My company wants me to transfer to an Austin division. I'm looking for opinions from others who have made similar moves. Need to decide if I should just get a new job in Dallas, or stay with my company and move.

I'm a software developer with 20 years of experience and specialize in web applications. Dallas seems more "tech" based on my minimal research of Austin, but I'd rather not look for a new job right now. On the other hand, I've been in Dallas since I left College Station (yes, I'm an Aggie) and have never had trouble finding work.

I've taught the kids "Gig-em", but they're young enough to learn "hook-em". They're in an "exemplary" elementary now, so school districts are part of our search criteria. We moved out to the bounds of the tollway in Dallas for more space, so that's another prime driver for us.

Looking for compare/contrast with Dallas.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM

11,964 posts, read 11,460,372 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the great replies.

I know Austin is pretty, love the hills, trees, river/lakes. I've got family in Georgetown and Hutto and have driven through on my way to San Antonio many times.

I'm more concerned with the tech job market. Sounds like most of it is North of town, where my company is South West. In Dallas I've generally found new jobs within a matter of days, usually just a call to my recruiter to get several options for new contracts. I haven't had to look for a job lately, but have seen similar results for people in my field here.

Traffic sounds worse as well. I lived in Southlake (near lake Grapevine in DFW) for many years and commuted to downtown Dallas, downtown Fort Worth, and various places between with minimal drama.

I'm not showing up without a job, but need to do my due diligence before moving the family out of what has been fairly easy pickings job for wise for literally decades here in Dallas.
I suggest you read this thread:

AUSTIN TX: What are some famous tech companies that reside here?

DFW may have more total tech jobs, but Austin has more proportionally. I'll argue that the software/computer work here is much more interesting too. We have less "IT" work (working for a bank, oil company, government, retail) but more technology vendor work.

Tech work in Austin is not concentrated in one place. There is work all along 360, up 183 ("Technology blvd."), downtown, and on the outskirts (mainly semiconductor).

BTW - I suggest you carefully review anything eepstein says. He hates Austin, yet has managed to live here for a long time. He alternates between envy for "high end" people and bashing them because they have political power.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 AM

2,227 posts, read 3,091,534 times
Quote:
In Dallas I've generally found new jobs within a matter of days, usually just a call to my recruiter to get several options for new contracts.
It sounds like you've had good luck in Dallas and that you like it there so if I were you, I'd call this recruiter to get a handle on what's out there. I can't imagine the tech job climate being that different between Dallas and Austin right now, but your recruiter might have a better idea on the current job climate in Dallas. As others have stated, a suburb in Austin is probably very similar to a suburb in Dallas so it probably wouldn't be much of a change for you.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM

What about traffic during work hours (I'm limited in my commute options by school drop off and pick up times).

Google maps has these numbers from Hwy 360 to various towns:

15 Minutes to Bee Caves
25 Minutes to Spicewood
30 Minutes to Dripping Springs
37 Minutes to Driftwood

Are these insanely optimistic for a commute? What would be more reasonable times?

Thanks.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,128,450 times
Quote:
What about traffic during work hours (I'm limited in my commute options by school drop off and pick up times).

Google maps has these numbers from Hwy 360 to various towns:

15 Minutes to Bee Caves
25 Minutes to Spicewood
30 Minutes to Dripping Springs
37 Minutes to Driftwood

Are these insanely optimistic for a commute? What would be more reasonable times?

Thanks.
Where off of 360 is the potential job? That will impact travel time to those places greatly.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Status: "Ain't no cure for the summertime blues!" (set 8 days ago)

2,684 posts, read 5,226,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Where off of 360 is the potential job? That will impact travel time to those places greatly.

Yes, can you give us the nearest cross street - that will definitely help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin