Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 AM

16 posts, read 23,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I'm thinking that you meant the SoCo area and you could easily come across the same issues that you're worried about in SoCo with noise and people walking around making noise at night. The nice thing about Hyde Park since you're working at UT is that you can ride the UT Shuttle to work for free as it's on the shuttle route and you wouldn't have to worry about parking. Hyde Park has more graduate students/faculty and less noisy undergrads. West Campus is where the majority of the noisy undergrad housing is (or Riverside, but you'll definitely want to stay away from there). But, as the poster above stated, if you can find an acceptable 1 bedroom place downtown in your price range, that would probably be the best option.
Thanks for the tips. Any recommended site or place I should look at downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 AM

156 posts, read 331,322 times
Parking at UT is horrible. I highly recommend living some place off of a shuttle or bus route (All UT students and staff can use CAPMETRO's buses).

I think The Triangle is a nice choice, it's a transit center with a lot of bus routes going through there. The mixed living there offers some restaurants and coffee shops (and farmer's market on Wednesday nights). It's a easy drive/bus ride to UT and downtown.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahughes8491 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Any recommended site or place I should look at downtown?
After checking prices on the places that I would want to live in downtown, I think it might be out of your price range. It looks like 1 bedrooms in the nice places are $1400 and up. As others have mentioned, the Triangle is a mixed use place that is pretty nice. I really like the Rosedale area that is near Central Market as well as atxcio mentioned, but I'm not sure what the apartments are like around there. If you're looking to be around some more upscale shops and restaurants then the Domain in North Austin might be worth looking at as it has newer apartments in your price range.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM

How far is the Triangle from downtown area like SoCo?

Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
How far is the Triangle from downtown area like SoCo?
Well, SoCo isn't downtown, it's just south of it. But it's not that close. 5 or 6 miles I'd say...I'm not sure about bus routes, but it's a good 10 minute drive without traffic. I'm guessing there are shuttles from the Triangle into downtown itself, however.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Come on down and visit and get yourself a good apartment locator! They aren't scammers and it is free service. You need to see for yourself.

good luck

Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
OP, I think you'll get most of your questions answered if you visit Austin before you relocate here. I went to college in Boston and can tell you that Boston and Austin have virtually nothing in common other than being college towns.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
OP, I think you'll get most of your questions answered if you visit Austin before you relocate here. I went to college in Boston and can tell you that Boston and Austin have virtually nothing in common other than being college towns.
Yeah, I'm planning on it. They are that different, huh? Can't wait.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:50 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm planning on it. They are that different, huh? Can't wait.
You'll see. Austin and Boston have almost nothing in common.

One suggestion I have for you: make sure you bring a car with you to Austin. Unlike Boston, Austin is not a dense city and has pathetic public transportation options.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:43 PM

5 posts, read 19,597 times
Ahughes8491, I lived in Somerville for three years and spent a ton of time in Allston (and also mid twenties). I am also moving to Austin soon (except from Oregon, long story!)! I wouldn't worry about the hipsters in Austin. I'm not sure if you have visited it yet, but I went down for last Halloween. I did see some hipsters on the Social bike rides, but overall, Austin reminded me of very middle class population. (This coming from a mid twenties, single woman.) The hipsters are always there if you seek them out. (For the record, I get my definition of hipster from locations such as Portland and Allston.)

Definitely bring your car. You should bring a bike too! It's nice to ride around town. It's not as hectic as riding in Boston, or as cushy as riding in Portland (where drivers know to look for bikers). (Note: I never biked Boston, but I have biked Portland quite a lot.) With that said, always ride looking out for yourself.

Be prepared to live in a house or apartment with paper thin walls. This was the biggest surprise I found in Austin.

You may want to invest in a water filter. The water in Austin doesn't taste good to me. (Again, I grew up in the Boston area.)

Other than that...I'm sort of excited to live in Austin. GO B'S! You'll have to PM if you find a bar to watch the games at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin