Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM

126 posts, read 788,818 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am looking for three kinds of professionals:

1. Wall repair (Have a crack near one of our windows and have no idea what it is due to. If you know a handyman that works in the 620/2222 area or do such jobs yourself, let me know).

2. Dryer vent cleaning: The best price I have been able to get is $50 per unit for unlimited vents. Is this good?

3. A/c tune up - Heating and cooling. Which company do you use for this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 04:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
Hi

I am looking for three kinds of professionals:

1. Wall repair (Have a crack near one of our windows and have no idea what it is due to. If you know a handyman that works in the 620/2222 area or do such jobs yourself, let me know). Sam Bethke
(512) 751-3329

2. Dryer vent cleaning: The best price I have been able to get is $50 per unit for unlimited vents. Is this good? Sounds pretty reasonable, Loan Star Sweeps, Stewart Rabon, 301-6944

3. A/c tune up - Heating and cooling. Which company do you use for this? Any suggestions? Jason Krieg, Alamo Austin Air (512) 736-0145

Thanks in advance!
My comments above:

Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Default thanks!

Thanks a lot! Appreciate it.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM

I had another quick question as well- when you get air ducts cleaned, is it absolutely necessary to get the return vents cleaned too?

Old 12-23-2011, 12:11 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Yes, they should do this as part of the duct cleaning service but u need to ask when getting the cost of service quote.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:05 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
Sorry for intruding, but can somebody enlighten me as to what is covered under "dryer vent cleaning"? Because for $50 one can easily throw away and replace the dryer vent and connections several times over. Even cheaper to disconnect, clean and reconnect vent to dryer and outside. Is there something that I'm missing?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Sorry for intruding, but can somebody enlighten me as to what is covered under "dryer vent cleaning"? Because for $50 one can easily throw away and replace the dryer vent and connections several times over. Even cheaper to disconnect, clean and reconnect vent to dryer and outside. Is there something that I'm missing?
Many dryer vents are simple, short and easy to clean. For those $50 seems extreme. But how less could you charge and still make it worth your while to drive across town to someone's house and clean it out for them?

My drier vent is not simple, short or easy to clean. The drier location is not near an exterior wall so it has to discharge at the roof. The connection at the dryer has a sharp 90 degree elbow up into the pipe which passes through the attic and discharges at the roof. Its probably close to 20' long before it exits at the roof cap. That leaves lots of distance where damp drier lint collects on the inside of the duct pipe. When I had it cleaned last summer it was a major job, disconnecting the dryer at the bottom, and a pipe joint in the attic to clean all the lint out of the pipe, then going up on the roof to clean out the roof cap.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:47 PM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
Dont know for sure if this will help but i had a similar problem
i purchased a indoor vent receptical from home depot and set it on the floor in the laundry room
**you connect it to the vent pipe from the back of your dryer add some water to the tank and clean or replace it as needed

the discharging to the outside by a vent is part of the ** laws./regulations ** the govt has instucted the builders to install in new homes safety reasons i guess .
. ive had the discharge *bucket on the utility room floor for many years and have not experianed a fire yet

Last edited by JohnA151; 12-25-2011 at 11:55 PM..

Old 12-29-2011, 01:55 PM

I am sorry for confusing everyone! I meant air duct cleaning when I said dryer vent. Not sure why I typed that. Anyway, now the quote I am getting is around 200 for the air ducts and 200 more for the return vents. Very high and makes me wonder whether air duct cleaning is worth it at all!

Handyman recos are still welcome.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:35 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
I am sorry for confusing everyone! I meant air duct cleaning when I said dryer vent. Not sure why I typed that. Anyway, now the quote I am getting is around 200 for the air ducts and 200 more for the return vents. Very high and makes me wonder whether air duct cleaning is worth it at all!

Handyman recos are still welcome.
Be careful. Air duct cleaning is one of the most unnecessary and abused services a home owner can seek. In most instances, there is no actual benefit whatsoever to having your ducts cleaned.

Good "air duct cleaning scams" and you'll find a lot of info. Here's a good story.
Air Duct Cleaning Scams [Dateline NBC]

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: