U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:19 PM

86 posts, read 46,924 times
I just make mine at home with the Tulley's coffee I brought from Seattle when I moved down here. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar enough with the different coffee shops to be of any help, but I have enjoyed getting ideas of different places to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM

3,714 posts, read 4,847,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Rose View Post
I just make mine at home with the Tulley's coffee I brought from Seattle when I moved down here. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar enough with the different coffee shops to be of any help, but I have enjoyed getting ideas of different places to try.
Does Tully's still exist? It seems like they were closing left and right when we moved away three years ago.

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM

86 posts, read 46,924 times
Yep, they're still there and growing. We had over 800 pounds donated to the non-profit I used to work at. They let me take 8 pounds with me when I left. It's in the freezer and I try to enjoy at least 2 cups a day...of course my cups are 16 oz cups.

Unread 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM

2,442 posts, read 1,941,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Not true. An Au Lait is a 1/2 drip coffee mixed with 1/2 steamed milk, while a latte is a shot of espresso served with steamed milk.
for the purpose of my post the same thing. i think the person was trying to say one is an abomination because it has milk in it

Unread 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,677,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
for the purpose of my post the same thing. i think the person was trying to say one is an abomination because it has milk in it
what in the world??? i did not say that it was an abomination because it has milk in it and neither did i imply.

Unread 01-11-2012, 12:21 AM

943 posts, read 996,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
But its the constant asinine modifications that people require in their lattes in order to survive. Its astonishing! The way people order lattes is like an obese little boy crying because their cheeseburger didn't have three layers of cheese. I mean, its probably even worse with how ridiculous people are in making their lattes.
Nice, I guess we should all just conform to your taste in drinks so we're not perceived as being little crying asinine little kids?

"Excuse me barista, I don't want to upset your obviously superior coffee sensibilities, could to tell me how I should have my coffee drink with steamed milk?"

If you walked into a steak joint and ordered your steak done medium well, it's because that's how you like it. If the chef/cook looked down their nose at you for not ordering it medium rare you'd think they were a pud. What, _warm_ sake, don't you know any better, it doesn't matter if you simply like the taste better than cold, now quit your whining.

Unread 01-11-2012, 03:45 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,677,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Nice, I guess we should all just conform to your taste in drinks so we're not perceived as being little crying asinine little kids?

"Excuse me barista, I don't want to upset your obviously superior coffee sensibilities, could to tell me how I should have my coffee drink with steamed milk?"

If you walked into a steak joint and ordered your steak done medium well, it's because that's how you like it. If the chef/cook looked down their nose at you for not ordering it medium rare you'd think they were a pud. What, _warm_ sake, don't you know any better, it doesn't matter if you simply like the taste better than cold, now quit your whining.
there's a customer i see regularly. she always orders a medium skim latte, not too hot, with foam on the top, and caramel squeezed lightly over the foam. wait for it, cause i'm not finished. she sips the foam along with the latte right when she receives her drink. she literally does this right when i hand her the drink. i have to wait for her because after she finishes sipping the foam and caramel, she then gives me her latte back so i can refill her latte with the skim milk that is left from what i finished steaming.

i'm so used to her drink, i don't even care if she orders it. she's a very nice lady and she always tips. no biggie. is her latte a little silly to make? very!

the point i'm trying to make is if you wanna order an asinine drink go for it, just be sure that you're not truly insane. i mean, really be sure. be aware that all you are doing is wasting $5 for a very unhealthy and extremely unsatisfying and absurd drink. that's all i'm asking! observe yourself. question your existence and your place in the cosmos. observe your life. go see a shrink. see your priest, or rabbi. go get laid. do something more stupid like spit in front of an old lady or steal a little girl's candy and see if you can tell the difference of stupidity between that and your raspberry mocha with caramel.

because i just can't see how anyone who considers themselves sane enough to function without any other significant abnormalities that truly wouldn't get in their way of life would even have the time to make up some of the most absurd modified lattes anyone could ever muster under our great sun. you would truly and utterly be astonishingly amazed at how people truly seem to care so obsessively over their modified lattes. i get it. its my job. so i make them. but boy see... the people i've come across really really really go out of their way and use a chunk of passion and energy of their lives to illustrate how inferior i am to their caramel machiatto with whip cream and extra caramel on top oh and not so hot.... oh wait, maybe can you put like two scoops of ice in there? i'm sorry, i'm really not trying to be difficult, where are your straws? napkins? trash? thank you, have a good day!

but............... then again, i'm in san francisco. austin is filled with much nicer people. i'll tell you another story. my co-worker was making someone a double espresso. i don't know what the deal was exactly but i guess the customer wanted the espresso in a 12 oz cup. he hadn't mentioned this before so my co-worker then poured the espresso he finished pulling into the 12 oz cup he asked for. but the customer wasn't happy because he wanted the espresso poured directly onto the cup. so my co-worker did as the customer asked. then the customer got very snippy for no reason. and said, "you're supposed to pour the espresso directly onto the cup because if not you kill the caffeine." so my co-worker snapped at him back and sarcastically said, "oh, i see." then the customer says, "no, apparently you don't see because you don't know how to make the espresso." so at this point, i realized it wasn't really any of my business but the customer really really got to me and so i said, "dude, whatever. he's making it like you asked so i don't see what the big deal is." then poor little guy.... like it ripped the life out of him, yells back, "f-- you, you can keep your espresso!" with the veins, i kid you not, bursting out of his neck as if he was about to pop. so we just waved him off and bid him farewell. so sorry for our douchyness but you really shouldn't be so antagonizing about how you want your drinks exactly. next time specify ahead of time and if not, just tell us and we'll remake it. it's really not that big of a deal. latte's should never ever be that big of a deal. know i mean bra?

Last edited by migol84; 01-11-2012 at 04:04 AM..

Unread 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM

594 posts, read 530,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
latte's should never ever be that big of a deal. know i mean bra?
The people that stress that much over a latte need to dial down the caffeine. Wow.

Kick Butt Coffee on Airport is pretty good too. It's up there on my choices. I prefer Mozart's but more because of the atmosphere.

Unread 01-12-2012, 08:19 AM

32 posts, read 16,597 times
Couple related items:
Here's an interesting read about the history of coffee:

Amazon.com: Uncommon Grounds: The History Of Coffee And How It Transformed Our World (9780465054671): Mark Pendergrast: Books

My favorite coffee is French Press at home with this organic arabica. They claim their roasting process preserves more of the antioxidents

Caffe Sanora Organic Signature Roast | Caffe Sanora Organic Signature Roast is the smoothest of all our roasts. It is full-bodied and highly aromatic, a great all day coffee.

I get the whole bean version from Central Market and grind it there (haven't yet got to the point of grinding the beans each morning -- any thoughts on that?)

As far as the lattes etc -- the variations are enjoyable but I think they're more like desserts -- IMO if you want to know the quality and true taste of the coffee you're drinking it needs to be black with the strength adjusted to where it tastes good to the drinker (I've seen two tablespoons per cup recommended which makes me laugh -- I like two rounded teaspoons to make the French press which is about 4 cups). If the coffee needs a lot of milk and sugar to taste good what does that tell you about the coffee? But I understand some people just don't like coffee.

Unread 01-12-2012, 09:54 AM

4,657 posts, read 5,159,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkout View Post

I get the whole bean version from Central Market and grind it there (haven't yet got to the point of grinding the beans each morning -- any thoughts on that?)
If the coffee needs a lot of milk and sugar to taste good what does that tell you about the coffee? But I understand some people just don't like coffee.
My Darling can tell when the coffee is fresh-ground(just before brewing when we are at home) vs pre-ground if the ground coffee is more than a couple of days old. There's no way I would trust her around machinery or hot water UNTIL she's had a cup or two; so, I make her coffee every day. I don't care for coffee but I've tried some good and some bad...no matter what, it takes milk AND sugar to suit my taste buds. I don't need the caffeine jolt in the AM, so I never got 'hooked'.

You can get a decent coffee grinder for under $20...worth it if you really enjoy your coffee.

Before anyone thinks I do TOO much for My Darling . we use this:
DGB-650BC - Grind & Brew Thermal
Fantastic! Keeps coffee hot for a couple of hours. I highly recommend the thermal carafe instead of the glass. Our 'old' one finally died and I kept the carafe and other components so I can easily brew two pots and/or one decaf and one high-test for guests/family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin