U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM

14 posts, read 27,016 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of apartment complexes that do not allow pets? Concerned about this because my son is allergic to both cats and dogs, and we're trying to decide whether to rent for a bit before buying a home in the area. Proximity to West Lake Hills (15 miles or less) would be a bonus! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 AM

2,392 posts, read 8,627,607 times
Good luck, I feel your pain both sons and Mr. are really allergic to cats and dogs, so much so we ended up buying a new built house to avoid the problem. You might try looking into leasing a house lots dont allow pets with fur.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM

14 posts, read 27,016 times
Thanks for your advice - we may end up doing the same thing for the same reason! Most places I've seen online seem to allow pets for a fee.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 AM

499 posts, read 1,108,988 times
I think pretty much all major apartment complexes around town with an online presence will allow pets, at least for a fee. If you get an apartment locator, they can help you find smaller independent places where the landlord may restrict pets.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM

100 posts, read 220,027 times
Austin has to be one of the most pet-friendly places I've ever lived. Then again, though I was born in Texas, I lived in Southern California for a long time, and was used to a 100-percent ban on pets (especially in Santa Barbara) when I was renting out there. So Austin is good for me, because I have a dog, but I feel your pain, as I have relatives with severe pet allergies.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:04 PM

138 posts, read 382,896 times
Just a question... Have you spoken with your son's allergist? Depending on the severity of the allergies, and what immune sytem protocol he is on it may be better to expose him to the animals.
USC has a very elevated study of allergies/asthma. Maybe you would be interested in reading any studies by: Roberstson Parkman USC, John Leedom MD, Richard Barbers- who with many others believes removing the person from the allergen doesn't help- unless the allergy is cockroaches- which is a very common problem- in homes of EVERY income status. David Sloane PhD also has studies that are very interesting.
You may be doing more harm than good in the longrun by avoiding cats/dogs- it is something that you and your son's allergist and immuneologist need to talk about thoroughly. Hoping for a healthy long term outcome for you.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:21 AM

44 posts, read 70,753 times
Hi, I do believe that most large apartment complexes allow pets, sometimes only small ones, but still allow them. However, there are listings that are accessed by Realtors that list places that owners states "no pets". You might try finding these properties.

I have found that in the past year in this crazy Austin rental market, it is becoming more and more common. Good luck!

Cheers,
Sue

Old 01-14-2012, 01:54 AM

471 posts, read 1,349,992 times
I don't have anything to add info-wise but was reminded of this neat instrumental track by a new age musician (before new age turned into elevator music), Mark Isham, who I really like and who now does movie soundtracks:

"Something Nice For My Dog", from his acoustic/electronic album Vapor Drawings, released in 1983 on the now defunct Windham Hill label (for a completely different experience on the same album, check out the powerful "On The Threshold Of Liberty").

now back to the regularly scheduled thread...........

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM

34 posts, read 48,075 times
most places replace the carpet after a tenant with pets leaves

Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,481 times
I am also looking for an apartment where pets are not allowed. With allergies related to cat dander, changing the carpet might not always work. It is better to be very conservative or else risk having to throw out furnishings, book hotels, etc until you find the right apartment. I've been there, having lost $15 thousand on this issue with no legal recourse except litigating the issue against the previous tenant through small claims court.

PeggyFriend, let's keep each other posted on this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin