Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM

43 posts, read 79,373 times

Advertisements

[quote=Twist7991;22589730]After taking everything into consideration.. especially my own feelings on the matter.. I've decided I'm going to do it.

I'll go to Austin sometime in early July, stay for a few days in a motel or something, get to know the city/check out the job market, and probably talk to a few people about apartments, if I can.
quote]

Sounds like you're doing a good job of planning. A suggestion after reading the latest posts -- consider maybe being a roommate with someone for a few months as you get to know the city a bit before committing to where you want to put down your new roots -- it's a big town with a lot of diverse areas. There's always going to be surprises. Like one of the decisions we made after moving from FL where we had a big lawn and a ton of sprinklers which were always breaking was that we were going to go the xeriscape route with no sprinklers. Then after we're here for a few months my new neighbor says, You do know that you have to water your house right?" SAYWHAT???? Yep if the clay under that house gets too dry your foundation can crack -- somehow the realtor and homeowner never mentioned that! Not that that issue is something you will be dealing with but just an example of how things can be different than expected. Don't worry about your ink -- pretty commonplace and I'm sure you've heard the city motto "Keep Austin Weird!" When we came hear first and wondered around we heard snippets of intelligent conversations going on on the streets -- we were almost ready to accost people and hug them after not hearing that sort of thing since leaving NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin