U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM

2,224 posts, read 5,745,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
When did the asia cafe chef leave? We noticed it hasnt been as good lately. It is quite frustrating when you cant depend on the quality of places because the chefs keep leaving/moving around.
When A+A opened. I don't know if he's part owner but he helped open that restaurant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 PM

33 posts, read 30,675 times
As a Taiwanese who tried all the dim-sum places in Austin and near-by areas, unfortunately there is no good dim-sum in Austin. They all taste like frozen dim-sum you can buy from the supermarket. The best dim-sum in U.S. are in Alhambra / Moterey Park area in Los Angeles and Chinatown / Financial District in San Francisco. That's right. California overall has better dim-sum than NY Chinatown.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:09 AM

4,025 posts, read 6,237,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raristo View Post
As a Taiwanese who tried all the dim-sum places in Austin and near-by areas, unfortunately there is no good dim-sum in Austin. They all taste like frozen dim-sum you can buy from the supermarket. The best dim-sum in U.S. are in Alhambra / Moterey Park area in Los Angeles and Chinatown / Financial District in San Francisco. That's right. California overall has better dim-sum than NY Chinatown.
NY chinatown is a tourist trap. the best dim sum in NYC is flushing.

dim sum is not fine cuisine like french cooking or delicate like sushi, as long as they make everything fresh and use the right proportions then it is reasonably uniform. T&S is up there with any of the dim sum places in the US or internationally. There is maybe a lack of consistency, but overall it is pretty good.

Fortune was very good, had you eaten there? The chefs were from LA.

It is a tremendous stretch to say that the food at the local dim sum places tastes like it is from the frozen section. That is a total crock.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:28 PM

15 posts, read 12,915 times
Just wanted to let people know that we went to Golden Wok (off Parmer and I-35) today for Dim Sum and thought it was pretty good and very reasonably priced. The staff were very nice too. Restaurant itself was clean and spacious (plenty of room between tables).
Have also been to Chinatown on Mopac, which was quite nice, but felt today's experience and food was better.

Enjoying life in Austin so far

Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM

12,504 posts, read 10,351,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonite View Post
Just wanted to let people know that we went to Golden Wok (off Parmer and I-35) today for Dim Sum and thought it was pretty good and very reasonably priced. The staff were very nice too. Restaurant itself was clean and spacious (plenty of room between tables).
Have also been to Chinatown on Mopac, which was quite nice, but felt today's experience and food was better.
For the benefit of newbies or tourists, there is a restaurant called Chinatown*, 3407 Greystone Dr. Austin, TX 78731 (512) 343-9307 Chinese food on Farwest Austin

... as well as an Asian shopping center named Chinatown Center, but often referred to as just Chinatown. There are perhaps a half dozen good restaurants in the center, but I'm not aware of any of them serving dim sum. At 10901 North Lamar (near Braker), Austin, TX 78753, Chinatown Austin - Home

Besides Chinatown Restaurant, the places I know that have dim sum service that I can recommend:

T&S Chinese, 10014 N Lamar Blvd ( a bit south of Chinatown Center), Austin, TX 78753, (512) 339-8434

Shanghai, 6718 Middle Fiskville Rd, (Near Highland Mall) Austin, TX 78752, (512) 458-8088

Golden Wok, 500 Canyon Ridge Dr., (Parmer & I-35) Austin, TX 78753, (512) 228-3688 Welcome to the Golden Wok Website

There are many other good Chinese restaurants in the city, but not that many that serve dim sum.

*Don't miss this - Downstairs from Chinatown is Musashino Sushi Dakoro, a separate business, much smaller, one of the oldest and still one of the best sushi bars in town.
Sushi_05

Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM

15 posts, read 12,915 times
Thanks for the clarification OpenD re Chinatown. I did mean the restaurant on Greystone.
I've yet to try T&S or Shanghai.

And I can vouch for the Sushi restaurant Musashino as well. It was absolutely delicious.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 AM

4,025 posts, read 6,237,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonite View Post
Thanks for the clarification OpenD re Chinatown. I did mean the restaurant on Greystone.
I've yet to try T&S or Shanghai.

And I can vouch for the Sushi restaurant Musashino as well. It was absolutely delicious.
and musashino has gone downhill from their peak. Try uchiko/uchi if you want really good sushi.

shanghai was absolutely terrible the last two times we ate their although they used to be a solid standby.

T&S is reasonably good and that is where we usually go.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM

12,504 posts, read 10,351,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
and musashino has gone downhill from their peak. Try uchiko/uchi if you want really good sushi.
I love uchi and uchiko, yes.

But sometimes I want that more traditional Tokyo sushi bar ambience and menu, and Musashino is great for that. Plus they've been working to rebuild their bench, after losing staff to other restaurants, and they're reworking their menu, and I think they're doing well. If you haven't been in for a while I think it's worth another visit. A foodie friend who was in Austin for SXSW hit up Musashino with some friends and was more than satisfied.

That's something to note about restaurants... they can fluctuate in quality over time. And just because they go down for a while doesn't mean they can't go back up. So I rarely write a favorite place off forever, unless they do something really unforgivable. And a lot of restaurants are really suffering now due to the bad economy, so some are having to scrimp. Dim sum is one of those specialties that requires heavy traffic to carry off well. If Shanghai is down now (if... I don't know), I thing they have the potential and location to bring it back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin