Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 AM

15 posts, read 26,518 times

Advertisements

Hello
We are gearing up to our move to Austin from London in May. Really excited.
We frequent London Chinatown every couple of weeks for Dim Sum and wondered if there were any decent Chinese restaurants in Austin that served good quality Dim Sum?!
Obviously we are very keen on trying the BBQ and Mexican food on offer too! I hear food in Austin is outstanding
thanks all
x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:50 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
None are great, a couple are good. Shanghai and T&S Chinese are the best here. Don't expect anything adventurous on the menus here. There's a few others that are good but I'd categorize them as Dim Sum 101.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
Chinatown on N MoPac also serves pretty good dim sum. Then, there's Get Sum Dim Sum for acceptable dim sum when you're craving it at 3pm on a Wednesday.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM

29 posts, read 89,256 times
i had the most AMAZING dim sum while visiting Houston...very similar to LA and NY chinatown quality and selection. I was surprised at how much asian restuarants there are. As for Austin, I've only been here for 3 months but haven't found anything more than Chinese buffets, Panda Express and MamaFu's.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM

189 posts, read 296,489 times
Wish I could help you here, but can't be too much of help.

I use to live in San Francisco. Would walk in the non tourist part of town and get fed on great dim sum for about 10 dollars. If that is what you had in London and expect here you won't get it.

You probably will hit the 40 to 50 dollar mark for two people.

I've tried "Get Some Dim Some" which one time was awful, the second time was ok and worth the money.

I've tried one other place on North Lamar. (REMEMBER NORTH LAMAR IF YOU WANT ASIAN FOOD). My wife and I ended our meal with $50 dollars out of our pocket for so-dim sum and the feeling that it wasn't all worth it.

I think dim-sum in Austin that blows you away may be hard to find.

Make sure to try Banh xeo at your next Vietnamese joint. If you have that and are not blown away.........I'll refund your money and give you a million dollars.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
None are great, a couple are good. Shanghai and T&S Chinese are the best here. Don't expect anything adventurous on the menus here. There's a few others that are good but I'd categorize them as Dim Sum 101.
Fortune was the best but they closed. T&S is pretty good. Shanghai used tobe good. last time we went there it was bad. chinatown is very expensive and was bad.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound44 View Post
i had the most AMAZING dim sum while visiting Houston...very similar to LA and NY chinatown quality and selection. I was surprised at how much asian restuarants there are. As for Austin, I've only been here for 3 months but haven't found anything more than Chinese buffets, Panda Express and MamaFu's.
try asia cafe. din ho used to be good but we mostly eat at asia cafe. I heard first chinese bbq is good, but we mostly eat at asia cafe

Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,016,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
try asia cafe. din ho used to be good but we mostly eat at asia cafe. I heard first chinese bbq is good, but we mostly eat at asia cafe
The chef from Asia Cafe went to A+A up the road. It's at least as good as Asia Cafe was. Also, Ho Ho is owned by the former owners of Din Ho so it's what Din Ho used to be when it was better. Chen's Noodle House is stellar. He's opening a second place on Anderson in the few weeks.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
The chef from Asia Cafe went to A+A up the road. It's at least as good as Asia Cafe was. Also, Ho Ho is owned by the former owners of Din Ho so it's what Din Ho used to be when it was better. Chen's Noodle House is stellar. He's opening a second place on Anderson in the few weeks.
When did the asia cafe chef leave? We noticed it hasnt been as good lately. It is quite frustrating when you cant depend on the quality of places because the chefs keep leaving/moving around.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound44 View Post
As for Austin, I've only been here for 3 months but haven't found anything more than Chinese buffets, Panda Express and MamaFu's.
Explore N. Lamar sometime. There's good Korean near Crestview. And then the further you drive North on it, the more Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants (including T&S for dim sum) you will find. Just before Lamar intersects with Braker Ln, you'll find a huge Chinatown shopping center with a massive Asian market and restaurants serving good pho, good banh mi, and Chinese bbq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin