U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,105,631 times

Advertisements

These are the kinds of stores they'll have???

When I heard about a Galleria, I thought it would be like the Galleria in Houston (i.e. Versace, Tiffany & Co, Carier, Fendi, Gucci, Burberry) high-end places and other places that don't have many locations just anywhere, some restaurant like Ruggles, a massive Christmas tree, etc...

Dallas' Galleria was modeled after Houston's and has similar stores...

This isn't a Galleria like I pictured, it's just another regular mall with normal suburban stores and big-box places. If they were going to do it and mess with the land and mom-and-pop places, they should have done it right or at least not called it a Galleria...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 03:30 PM

8,642 posts, read 16,413,976 times
I hear ya. I don't even live West, but remember when there was nothing out that way. I suppose those places will now be lost to "anywhere USA" or they could move out further. East of 35 and past RR (Hutto and points further North and East), not quite having the same growth as West (except right along 35) there are still quite a few mom and pop places that haven't been displaced. And ditto for further out in the hill country where it hasn't exploded in growth yet because of the distance from Austin.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,996,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
These are the kinds of stores they'll have???

This isn't a Galleria like I pictured, it's just another regular mall with normal suburban stores and big-box places. If they were going to do it and mess with the land and mom-and-pop places, they should have done it right or at least not called it a Galleria...
I agree.
While I don't like the development at all - they have added insult to injury by filling up the space with generic, throwaway shops. I'm certain that the apartments there are called "luxury apartments" as well. As if brand-new drywall, mortar, and paint is all you need to make a place luxurious.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Oh, man! I just looked it up. I noticed how close it is to Lake Austin/Lake Travis. That area used to be so peaceful, nice and green, full of trees. Bye Bye to that. Plus, all the housing and more development to that area that they hope the Galleria brings to the area. I guess Camping around the area is a thing of the past now. Makes me more and more glad I live East of 35, since It's not as popular and probably won't be endless parking lots and condos, brownstones and apartments.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:32 PM

So does anyone know where the "country" west of 35 starts nowdays??

Old 08-20-2007, 04:43 PM

2,955 posts, read 4,996,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
So does anyone know where the "country" west of 35 starts nowdays??
I'd say Lakeway is now pretty much the western border of Austin.
Once you drive about 10 miles west of Lakeway, you'll be in the country, but that's all currently for sale to the highest bidder.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:40 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,905,924 times
Quote:
This venue has been RUINED by the Galleria shops.
Now, to see a concert at the Backyard, you have to sit through hours (yes, hours) of traffic just to park in the dirt fields behind the development. Then, after sitting in your car for that long, you get out and trek across the miles of empty parking spots that belong to the shops before you reach the stage.
Yes, that was my exact experience several months ago when going to see ZZ Top.

To me, the 71/620/Bee Cave intersection is the most unpredictable in Austin in terms of never knowing when you might be sitting through a massive backup of traffic.

The handling of traffic in Austin always seems to be an afterthought. We've spent years growing with the mentality of "don't build new roads, or too many people will move 'out there' and hurt the environment."

Well, people move where they want to in spite of the lack of adequate roads, then we say "oh, the traffic is horrible, we better catch up with the roads".

This happens over and over again. 620/71 is nowhere near being able to handle the traffic needs of that area, even after the current road improvements are completed.

Steve

Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM

337 posts, read 975,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post

Isn't the principle of of putting a mall in a area that should remain natural the point?

Personally, I don't care if it's a Best Buy or Tiffany, to me it's all the same, just because they put in expensive stores does not make it ok.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM

5,345 posts, read 9,105,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
Isn't the principle of of putting a mall in a area that should remain natural the point?
Well, yes...

The stores I named not because they are expensive, but because they are some I know are in Houston's Galleria and are somewhat unique in that you will not find them just anywhere.

... so that situation (the more unique stores) I just see as the lesser of two evils (compared to the average, big-box stores)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:43 AM

36,770 posts, read 19,920,375 times
I look forward to the opening of HCG. I think it will be great for the region, and those who go there will be treated to some great Hill Country scenery. The people in Bee Caves will do it the right way. Those of you who don't want to see changes in Austin, well, sorry. Seemingly everyone is moving down there. You best get used to this --- the city will not stop growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin