Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,762,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
After you've grown up swimming in the Atlantic and the Florida Gulf, the Texas Gulf is a real downer. It's like someone saying, "Whaadya mean you don't like the pizza here, have you been to xxxx( fill in with Gatti's, Mangia, Brick Oven, or whetever is currently trendy...)" It just doesn't do it for me.
Ha, no I understand what you're saying! I grew up in CO 17 hours from any beach, so the Texas Gulf does do it for me It's a matter of perspective I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
That's it. Exactly.

If I could just move it elsewhere...
What would be so different if it was in another state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,011,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I've lived all over the country - east, west, north, south. Lived in Europe for a while. Around people like me, and people completely unlike me. People who shared my viewpoints, and people who abhorred them. But I have never felt ashamed for living somewhere, or by being different from the majority of those around me. I really can't understand this - almost seems intolerant of differences. Just not part of my make-up. Seems kind of shallow, but YMMV.
^This.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,204,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I've lived all over the country - east, west, north, south. Lived in Europe for a while. Around people like me, and people completely unlike me. People who shared my viewpoints, and people who abhorred them. But I have never felt ashamed for living somewhere, or by being different from the majority of those around me. I really can't understand this - almost seems intolerant of differences. Just not part of my make-up. Seems kind of shallow, but YMMV.
Wonderfully said! Rep points to you!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
Absolutely true!! But don't let the COA hear you say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You really don't know much about Texas, do you? Outsiders' ideas and prejudices to the contrary, Austin is just as much representative of Texas as anywhere else in the State.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,790,915 times
I've already said that the allergies are the worst thing, but the second worst thing is people coming from other places and complaining with stuff like "I wish they had Italian restaurants like the Northeast" or "Why isn't there a Trader Joe's like in California." or stuff like that. We are different, try to get used to it!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM

239 posts, read 516,129 times
Texans who want transplants to adapt/accept everything that is Texas, but refuse to embrace, even acknowledge anything that is not...

Old 01-20-2012, 04:41 PM

662 posts, read 1,444,995 times
I agree that it isn't fair to paint all Texans with the same broad brush. There is much I love about Texas and Texans. I listed the heat as what I like least, but after reading the above posts, I think I need to add another negative:

Christians--particularly fundamentalists--who constantly push their religion on others. A moment of silence isn't enough for Rick Perry and his type, which my kids had to do every single day in school. People should pray to the Christian God in school according to these people despite there being many other religions and it being a public school. Bibles were handed out on school grounds, surreptitious emails trying to get my kids to go to a Christian Bible Study but saying it was a pizza party, etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM

399 posts, read 970,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Christians--particularly fundamentalists--who constantly push their religion on others. A moment of silence isn't enough for Rick Perry and his type, which my kids had to do every single day in school. People should pray to the Christian God in school according to these people despite there being many other religions and it being a public school. Bibles were handed out on school grounds, surreptitious emails trying to get my kids to go to a Christian Bible Study but saying it was a pizza party, etc.
I grew up in north Louisiana, which is culturally very similar to Texas, especially as far as religion goes. I remember Gideon Bibles being distributed when I was in the 4th grade, but I think somebody raised a stink about it, because it never happened again. We didn't have "moment of silence," but they did that praying around the flagpole thing, which they got away with because it was before school hours and students weren't obligated to participate.

I have been accosted by Christians trying to witness to me in bookstores when I was browsing in the Buddhism section. This didn't happen in Austin, but it made me extremely apprehensive about going to bookstores.

Then there are the Christian billboards on I-35 between here and Dallas. There's a gas station in Canton, TX that has "the gas station where Jesus Christ is Lord" or something to that effect painted on the side of the building. The Burger King in that same town has the 10 Commandments posted over the menu above the counter. I never even saw that kind of thing growing up in Louisiana, and I've certainly never seen it on my visits to the Northeast.

Some people, like THL, might not see a problem with that, but it certainly speaks to fundamentalist Christian triumphalism and everything that goes with it.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,762,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I agree that it isn't fair to paint all Texans with the same broad brush. There is much I love about Texas and Texans. I listed the heat as what I like least, but after reading the above posts, I think I need to add another negative:

I'm surprised to hear this. Everyone always describes Austin as "live and let live", which has been my experience so far...people wearing their politics and religion on their sleeves is one of my pet peeves and that's something I've liked about Austin- it seems people are content to keep it to themselves or at least their own circles.

However I don't think I have a problem with kids of any religious/irreligious persuasion gathering at their public school, as long as it's not during class time, no one's forced to go and it's only student organized/led.

So although I haven't experienced it and hope I don't, I'll add that as a potential negative: those certain special Texans that like to shove their politics and religion in others' faces.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:39 PM

285 posts, read 565,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
OMG, are you kidding me??
LOL. Just curious - is there even one thing you like about Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin