Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no cigar View Post
As someone that was born and raised here, and after returning from a seven year college/work experience away, I can say that I absolutely hate all the ridiculous 'refugees' we have from other parts of the country that move to Austin; to escape their (obviously inferior) locales, only to knock Texas and gripe about how things aren't like how they are in whatever s**thole they came here from... It's not like that was some huge secret they never knew before they moved here. Get over it or get the f**k out.

I've been back home 2 months and already have had the 'feel free to exercise your right to leave at any time' talk with people that refuse to shut their mouths about their hangups with Texas.
Nice to know it's not just us Northerners who feel this way. I live in Brooklyn (the transplant mecca) and they keep coming here and complaining about what it's lacking and complain about the diverse group of people. They claim to be open minded and are for equality, but they are the most racist people I have ever seen.

I had contemplated moving to Austin not long ago, but once I heard transplants were moving there too, I thought is there anywhere not affected by this epidemic yet?

Keep the faith. I can sympathize with you all. You should move some place and remember it's not the same place you left and accept it for what it is instead of complaining about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
L.A.'s fine, but it ain't home...New York's home, but it ain't mine no moooorrreee

Apologies to ND...I can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM

136 posts, read 336,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
Nice to know it's not just us Northerners who feel this way. I live in Brooklyn (the transplant mecca) and they keep coming here and complaining about what it's lacking and complain about the diverse group of people. They claim to be open minded and are for equality, but they are the most racist people I have ever seen.

I had contemplated moving to Austin not long ago, but once I heard transplants were moving there too, I thought is there anywhere not affected by this epidemic yet?

Keep the faith. I can sympathize with you all. You should move some place and remember it's not the same place you left and accept it for what it is instead of complaining about it.
Oh I completely empathize with you. It's pretty terrible. Most of my friends and family took up residence in the suburbs because of how completely ridiculous it is in town. I don't think it could ever drive me out of my home though. I'm really trying to do what I can to get closer to the interior because I really really don't fancy the idea of living in the burbs. If anything it's more motivation to stay. I want to live in my home town and do the things I have always liked to do there and if I am not going to be a ridiculous hipster so be it.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 PM

114 posts, read 253,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I agree, however during the winter months, not so much
Haha yeah, they definitely have a legitimate Winter up there.

However, it may just be my changing preferences (the heat has really started to get to me lately), but when I spent a month or so up there in December/January, the winter didn't seem as bad as advertised. Missoula's only at about 3000 feet, down in a valley, and their winter didn't seem to be quite as miserable/extreme as the winter's I've experienced (briefly) in Nebraska or Kansas or up in the mountains in Colorado.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 AM

77 posts, read 201,226 times
We have been reading this forum for close to six months now and have seen, I would guess, all of the pros and cons beaten repeatedly.
I can say this..... I was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska..... Would NOT go back. Shootings and murders weekly, gangs and drugs everywhere, horrific winter weather ( to make this worse the city has a miserable works department ) all topped with an unfounded arrogance that eats at you like battery acid.
I then located my high school sweetheart and moved to Red Oak, Iowa. Omaha seems like utopia compared to this dismal little hyper conservative bible thumping town of 6000. Outsiders are made to feel about as welcome as a cockroach.
We are relocating to Austin in a few months for college, and DREAM of the heat and turantulas.
Some people are never happy where they are. But trust me, most of the gripes Ive seen on this board make me laugh.
People dont realize what they have untill they lose it or have it taken away.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeandJill View Post
Isn't that the truth!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM

355 posts, read 922,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeandJill View Post
We have been reading this forum for close to six months now and have seen, I would guess, all of the pros and cons beaten repeatedly.
I can say this..... I was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska..... Would NOT go back. Shootings and murders weekly, gangs and drugs everywhere, horrific winter weather ( to make this worse the city has a miserable works department ) all topped with an unfounded arrogance that eats at you like battery acid.
I then located my high school sweetheart and moved to Red Oak, Iowa. Omaha seems like utopia compared to this dismal little hyper conservative bible thumping town of 6000. Outsiders are made to feel about as welcome as a cockroach.
We are relocating to Austin in a few months for college, and DREAM of the heat and turantulas.
Some people are never happy where they are. But trust me, most of the gripes Ive seen on this board make me laugh.
Well the grass may be greener here, or it may not. Impossible to know unless you've actually lived somewhere.

Do let us know how you feel about the 'heat' in October, won't you?

Hope you'll be 'happy' in Austin.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post

That is better than the "cold" in April up north IMO.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:03 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That is better than the "cold" in April up north IMO.
Yes, some of us do much better with heat than we do the cold. I welcome the heat in October even if means missing the fall that you get in areas with four discreet seasons. That's the tradeoff for not having to deal with a Nov-Mar of ice, snow, and cold that you also get in those same places with a discreet four seasons.

Everything in life involves a trade-offs and the key to happiness is realizing that and making trade-offs that most align with one's personal preferences.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM

77 posts, read 201,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Well the grass may be greener here, or it may not. Impossible to know unless you've actually lived somewhere.

Hope you'll be 'happy' in Austin.
When you have despised snow and cold temps your entire life and everything you have ever done from hobby to carreer is based on warm weather, I am EAGERLY looking forward to it............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin