U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM

352 posts, read 518,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeandJill View Post
When you have despised snow and cold temps your entire life and everything you have ever done from hobby to carreer is based on warm weather, I am EAGERLY looking forward to it............
I'm not going to argue with you, but we truly don't have much 'warm' weather. We have hot as blazes weather for a very long time.

And though I wouldn't ever go back up north, it doesn't mean I have to love 4+ months of 100 degree plus weather either.

I'm also sure there are people in Nebraska who think your beefs are silly too. It's just a bit annoying to have a person who has never lived here tell us we ought to appreciate Austin more than what is acceptable to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:52 AM

75 posts, read 81,010 times
Default Read deeper...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
I'm not going to argue with you, but we truly don't have much 'warm' weather. We have hot as blazes weather for a very long time.

And though I wouldn't ever go back up north, it doesn't mean I have to love 4+ months of 100 degree plus weather either.

I'm also sure there are people in Nebraska who think your beefs are silly too. It's just a bit annoying to have a person who has never lived here tell us we ought to appreciate Austin more than what is acceptable to you.
No what is annoying is that fact that though I mentioned where I was from originally and where Im located now I never mentioned where I had been.
I doubt even Austin can compete with the Sonoran desert in Tucson, which I found fabulous while researching the indigenous reptile and insect life when I was younger. You automatically assumed we had no clue as to what we were in for.
And your right....you don't have to love 4 + months of 100 weather. But as an adult (which I am assuming) you are capable of making decisions to change your circumstances.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,517,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeandJill View Post
No what is annoying is that fact that though I mentioned where I was from originally and where Im located now I never mentioned where I had been.
I doubt even Austin can compete with the Sonoran desert in Tucson, which I found fabulous while researching the indigenous reptile and insect life when I was younger. You automatically assumed we had no clue as to what we were in for.
And your right....you don't have to love 4 + months of 100 weather. But as an adult (which I am assuming) you are capable of making decisions to change your circumstances.
I don't understand why on an OPINION thread where an OP asks "What do you think is the worst thing about living in Austin..", people get attacked for offering their OPINION.

The OP asked people to complain, some people complained, and they get attacked "Well leave then! we don't need you! HIT THE ROAD!"

so Lemonlime doens't like heat. Shrug. She can complain about that.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM

4,044 posts, read 6,336,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I don't understand why on an OPINION thread where an OP asks "What do you think is the worst thing about living in Austin..", people get attacked for offering their OPINION.

The OP asked people to complain, some people complained, and they get attacked "Well leave then! we don't need you! HIT THE ROAD!"

so Lemonlime doens't like heat. Shrug. She can complain about that.
People can complain about whatever they want. When they get their facts wrong it is an issue. Austin does not have 4+months of 100 degree weather. Here is a blog post about austins 100 degree days

Zanthan Gardens | Austin’s 100-Degree Days

The average number of 100 degree days is 13.5.

2007 had only 3
2000 had 42
2008 had 50
2009 had 68
2011 had 90 (which is the current record)

the prior record was 69 in 1925

Old 02-17-2012, 09:14 AM

664 posts, read 703,943 times
Well, 100 degree days are bad, but 95+ aren't much better. I would say from late May until October the highs are rarely below mid-90's. Not to mention the humidity. My glasses literally would fog up when I left my air conditioned car.

Wedding Planner - Set the Date, Average Monthly for Austin, TX

Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
People can complain about whatever they want. When they get their facts wrong it is an issue. Austin does not have 4+months of 100 degree weather. Here is a blog post about austins 100 degree days

Zanthan Gardens | Austinís 100-Degree Days

The average number of 100 degree days is 13.5.

2007 had only 3
2000 had 42
2008 had 50
2009 had 68
2011 had 90 (which is the current record)

the prior record was 69 in 1925
I don't agree with you. I feel this poster was clearly overexaggerating for effect. Like if I say "I am so hungry I could eat a horse", I don't actually think I could eat a whole horse. I know you, being the exacting person you are, would immediately follow up my statement with the history of equine dining in Western civilization....but that doesn't mean we have to follow your rules of conversation.

When the poster says in an exasperated way "Enjoy 4 months of 100+ weather" then it can be taken with a grain of salt, WITHOUT the thought police going, "actually, here are the exact figures...." It's supposed to be a conversation, not a science class.

Lemonlime thinks it's hot for a long time, it bothers him/her. It's frankly a common complaint.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM

773 posts, read 586,969 times
From the POV of an Austin lifer, this is an easy question to answer.

The worst thing about living in Austin is that most of what is perceived as "Austin" consists of highly-trafficked, colorless, bland, strip-mall sprawl — just like any other big city (e.g., Dallas, Houston, Atlanta).

Some people move here expect the "weird" Austin experience only to find that they can't afford to live in the city proper. Or, if they can afford to eek out a living in Austin proper, they're stuck in a teensy little efficiency apartment or with housemates, neither of which is desirable. So they get stuck out in the far boonies and rarely experience the Austin they may have read about or visited while on vacation.

There's no fix to this problem; it's a done deal. Austin's stuck with The Sprawl ...

Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 PM

4,666 posts, read 8,734,307 times
The lack of direct air service to most places.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The lack of direct air service to most places.
now THAT, is indeed annoying.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,282,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Well, 100 degree days are bad, but 95+ aren't much better. I would say from late May until October the highs are rarely below mid-90's. Not to mention the humidity. My glasses literally would fog up when I left my air conditioned car.

Wedding Planner - Set the Date, Average Monthly for Austin, TX
Factually you would be wrong, though. The average temperature for May is 86, and September's is a shade above 90...so how could highs barely get below mid-90s thru October, where the average high is less than 82?

Personally I think we can get the point across to people that it is EFFING HOT here for a long time, without having to embellish the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin