U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM

11,942 posts, read 9,715,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Personally I think we can get the point across to people that it is EFFING HOT here for a long time, without having to embellish the facts.
OK, its EFFING HOT here for a long time every year. It always feels to me like it's over 100+ for 4 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 04:35 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,218,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
OK, its EFFING HOT here for a long time every year. It always feels to me like it's over 100+ for 4 months.
Lol, good job! Kidding, I'm definitely not the aforementioned 'thought police', but I have noticed that while when most people say something like that they're just reacting or venting to the incredible heat, but some it seems do post it in a way that seems they're attempting to obscure the facts.

Whatevs though!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:45 PM

11,942 posts, read 9,715,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Lol, good job! Kidding, I'm definitely not the aforementioned 'thought police', but I have noticed that while when most people say something like that they're just reacting or venting to the incredible heat, but some it seems do post it in a way that seems they're attempting to obscure the facts.

Whatevs though!
I'm actually in agreement with you on accuracy of facts posted.

However, there's something qualitative to the summer heat here that I don't think anyone has quite captured yet... those summer mornings when you step out of the house early in the morning and everything is already on broil... those days when it is so humid you can hardly breathe... and then there's August!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,726,260 times
Just remember, it's hot in Austin, but it's not as bad as Houston!

Quote:

However, there's something qualitative to the summer heat here that I don't think anyone has quite captured yet... those summer mornings when you step out of the house early in the morning and everything is already on broil... those days when it is so humid you can hardly breathe... and then there's August!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:44 PM

267 posts, read 188,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
Look... its not the best place on Earth, but its way better than most places.

That said, I'm still trying to figure out where I can find another Austin with 1/4 the people and 1/2 the cost.
What about Raleigh or Portland?

Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,423,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
What about Raleigh or Portland?
He said 1/2 the cost, not 4x .

Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM

267 posts, read 188,350 times
Raleigh is cheaper than Austin. Parts of Portland too.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:06 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,423,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Raleigh is cheaper than Austin. Parts of Portland too.
What parts? And cheaper how? Are you talking about property being cheaper? If so, I would disagree. If you take the most far flung, out of city limits, half way to Seattle property in Portland and then you compare it to the most downtown, central, fully tricked out home In Austin, then yes, the Portland house will be cheaper.

But if you take comprables, homes that are similiarly located to the downtown core, similarly sized, similiar amenities etc etc...then Austin is going to blow Portland and Raleigh out of the water.

And the further you get out into the suburbs the better the savings get. A middle of the road suburn in Portland will be 2 to 3 times as expensive as a comprable home in Austin.

I admit Austin is an expensive city..for Texas. And salaries are generally depressed here as well, mostly due to our influx to the workforce every year around graduation time. But to say that Austin is more expensive than Portland or Raleigh...no, I dont' think so. I would have to see the numbers to believe that.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,009,950 times
Quote:

And don't forget the heat index. Once that's factored in, then there probably are close to four months where is FEELS like it's 100.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,009,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Just remember, it's hot in Austin, but it's not as bad as Houston!
Actually, Austin was worse last year. Houston had 41 days of 100+ temps, Austin had 76.

2011, The HOTTEST Year for Texas - surviving disaster and emergency - Modern Survival Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin