U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:11 PM

945 posts, read 1,716,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
The 360 area is ... whoa! Pricey beyond compare. It should be interesting to see if property values hold as the price of gas increases and unemployment grows ...

I look at it this way: if I have to live so far away from Austin, there's really no point to it. I may as well work and live in Leander, Taylor, Granger, Salado or another small town and go into Austin on the weekends.
Lots of companies with high paying jobs are located on the 360/North Mopac corridor so people who live out that way are probably closer to their employment than if they lived central.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:27 PM

5,191 posts, read 8,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapasmurf76 View Post
Trust me, Austin may have had worse numbers, but Houston was 100x more miserable.
100x worse? Really?? I don't find them that much different, certainly not 100x different, come on. We're talking a few hours from each other, not opposite ends of state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
That is what all Austinites say when you complain about it's miserable climate. "but it's not as bad as Houston", they all say. I guess Houston is the only city they can come up with that has worse weather than Austin.
I don't know why they would say that, but I can think of many other cities with worse weather than both.

Seems like this topic of summer weather among the state's cities has been touched on C-D endlessly, and it always gets down to splitting hairs basically.

Unread 02-28-2012, 09:01 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,028,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
100x worse? Really?? I don't find them that much different, certainly not 100x different, come on. We're talking a few hours from each other, not opposite ends of state.

I don't know why they would say that, but I can think of many other cities with worse weather than both.

Seems like this topic of summer weather among the state's cities has been touched on C-D endlessly, and it always gets down to splitting hairs basically.
I agree that it gets brought up way too much, especially when discussing heat (they're both hot!) but just because they're a few hours from each other doesn't mean they have pretty much the same climate - a number of factors influence the climate in each city, and they aren't the same factors. As far as which is preferable or which feels better, well that's more subjective, but scientifically the climates are quite different.

I'm not a big cheerleader for Austin's climate, but I can think of a few other cities than I find worse for sure.

Unread 03-01-2012, 03:13 AM

69 posts, read 78,033 times
Default Austin and national media

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Yes, you're right that I'm definitely making some assumptions here that might not be completely accurate. I meant the 78704 comment as a joke and I'm glad that you saw it that way.

Just for kicks, I did a search in 78745 for single family homes and right at $150K there is a 1174 square foot 3 bedroom house built in 1971 with a pending status. So if that is what someone is looking for when they are moving 1400 miles across the country, that's great. The house looks like it has been upgraded pretty nicely and is fairly centrally located, but the schools are probably questionable. Personally, I could live there if I didn't have kids.

You're definitely right that there are $150K homes out there in pretty good locations that will fit for some people. However, my guess is that it wouldn't be what *most* people are looking for that are moving 1400 miles across the country as the general perception of a lot of Californians is that anything East of AZ and West of FL is dirt cheap and you can buy a 2500 square foot house with a ranch, barn, and horses for $150K. The national media keeps enforcing this with articles on Austin that aren't completey accurate when it comes to home prices. It looks to me that the median housing sales price in the Austin area was in the $190Ks last year.

I was mainly trying to counter the poster that stated "As for sprawl, as long as I can buy an acre for less than $50,000 in the suburbs, with low property taxes....". I've actually priced out an acre lot in a fairly far out suburb/town with a fairly nice house on it in Georgetown and it was almost $400K.
This is the poster, Thanks for your posts. I have never been to Austin and like many people have read numerous news reports on Austin. I've read your free chamber of commerce relocation guide. I would certainly rent in the area, first, get a job in the area, and then if I liked Austin, I'd look at real estate. However, I do think that Texas - and also New Mexico - both have a promising future in terms of jobs, entrepreneurial activities, and gradually increasing wages, compared to California, Arizona, Colorado, and Oregon. I would trade any of the negatives about the climate, etc. in this thread about Austin for the positives.

Unread 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM

2,149 posts, read 2,851,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
This is the poster, Thanks for your posts. I have never been to Austin and like many people have read numerous news reports on Austin. I've read your free chamber of commerce relocation guide.
I've never seen the free chamber of commerce reolcation guide, but it would be interesting to see. I found some quotes on the Chamber of Commerce website that could be a bit misleading.

"Does it seem like the Austin area is too good to be true? If you ask anyone who lives here, they'll tell you it's as good as advertised. And it's all true."

Welcome to Austin : The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce

And the quote below is technically true, but it's definitely misleading. I guess they have to put something here, but people unfamiliar with the entire "Austin area" could definitely take this to mean that they'll be living in SoCo and walking to Guero's. I think a lot of people will interpret the quote below thinking that they will be able to buy a nice single-FAMILY home in Central Austin for $182K because that is after all the median price and it's a family oriented city.

"What will it cost me to purchase a home in the Austin area?

Answer: In 2010 the median price for an existing single-family home was $182,000. More information about moving here can be found in the Move to Austin section. Additional resources are also provided by the Austin Board of REALTORS® through AustinHomeSearch.com"

Obviously, it's the Chamber of Commerce's job to promote the city and area and that's a good thing. The Austin area is definitely a great area to relocate to for a lot of people. But, with the type of quotes above being passed around, it's no wonder that there are people that end up here like eepstein that don't like the area. Those of us that already live here don't go out looking for information like this, but some of these claims and statements being made about Austin are a bit laughable.

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM

449 posts, read 512,336 times
I don't see how Austin is any different than any other city in this regard, though. If you look at the median price of a house in Philadelphia, you're certainly not just talking about central Philadelphia. 'Metro area' has a pretty nebulous definition for a lot of cities.

I'm not overly familiar with the battles between Austin and outlying areas (like the forced annexation of Circle C) from years ago, but it seems like the city of Austin purposefully wanted to grow well beyond 'central Austin,' or else it would have left well enough alone. This also seems to be pretty standard behavior for a city, particularly when you have suburbs with as much money as Austin has.

So beyond the same grain of salt you ought to take with any tourism board or chamber of commerce guide, I don't think they're being deceptive. Their interest is in promoting Austin. Anyone with half a brain would follow up by coming to a place like c-d to find out how these statements should be qualified. I'd hate to be the guy who has to write the Detroit Chamber of Commerce relocation guide!

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:06 AM

161 posts, read 58,106 times
Driving on or near North Lamar. That road will make any person succumb to road rage.

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:46 AM

349 posts, read 488,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
Whats the worst thing about living in Austin to you?
I can hear the stampede of 'austin lovers' right now...duck for cover 'joeandmich' lol

To be quite honest with you, it depends on your culture and tolerance level for a lack of diversity. Some people will debate this with me to no end, but I feel like Texas is sort of like its own little country. It also depends on what part of town in austin you live in. Here are my negatives and positives of Austin:

POSITIVES

*Beautiful landscape/trees/scenery
*Six flags is only 40-50 minutes away
*Affordable and decent housing (even for low-income earners)
*Safe (almost no violent crimes reported)
*Jobs (since I come from Detroit, I might appreciate this more...i mean, austin has felt the recession-hit as well, but not as much as other cities. In Detroit, there are virtually NO JOBS! In austin, you can find SOMETHING to do, even if it is not in your field and low paying
*6th street (although this might become quite boring and repetitive after a while)

NEGATIVES
*Lack of diversity-There are basically only 2 races that make up the majority of Austin (hispanics and whites)...that doesn't equal diversity to me
*Can run out of things to do or become bored- Everything is what you make it, but you might get tired of 6th street and the downtown area all together
*Hard to make friends- like i stated before, this can be a cultural thing (with me being a full-bred Northerner), but if you aren't a college student (attending ACC or UT) and/or under 27 years old, you can find yourself out of the loop really fast. Most of the people in Austin are really conservative. Everyone kind of stick with those they already know or who looks, speak and act like them. You might find some liberals downtown, but most of them are really young and drifters

*Allergies- I NEVER had allergies before I moved to Austin. Now, I get a sinus infection at least two times a year. What many people don't tell you (especially landlords), is that most of the apartment buildings/homes are infested with mold. Austin has a major mold problem if the apartment wasn't built less than 5-10 years ago. This is why many apartment managers make you sign a 'mold contract' so they won't be held reliable if you happen to find the mold and get sick from it.

*Summers that will scald your soul- If you have never been to hell, then you can get a feeling for how it is like by being in Austin in the peak hours of the summer seasons! Hot is an understatement. Even in the night time, it is STILL scalding. Bring loads of sunscreen! Actually, the summers can be quite unbearable and most people don't come out until 7 pm.

If you want to be around the "new" part of town, where there are many transplants, you should move to North Austin. I had a couple of associates who lived in North Austin and they were both from Detroit. South austin is country but very quite with a lot of landscape.

Unread 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM

449 posts, read 512,336 times
I'm curious about your diversity comment. Austin seems about on par with other cities of similar size (Portland? Seattle?). I've spent the last two years in the Lehigh Valley, PA (almost no diversity) but the previous six in NYC (ha) and at least by rural PA standards, Austin might as well be South London.

I hate to repeat the cliche of 'everything is relative' but compared to a lot of Texas, Austin seems neither especially conservative nor lacking in diversity, but compared to any major city in the NE I would say you have a point!

Unread 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM

349 posts, read 488,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I'm curious about your diversity comment. Austin seems about on par with other cities of similar size (Portland? Seattle?). I've spent the last two years in the Lehigh Valley, PA (almost no diversity) but the previous six in NYC (ha) and at least by rural PA standards, Austin might as well be South London.

I hate to repeat the cliche of 'everything is relative' but compared to a lot of Texas, Austin seems neither especially conservative nor lacking in diversity, but compared to any major city in the NE I would say you have a point!
Diversity may mean different things to different people, but what I meant is that TO ME, when there are only 2 major races that make up the majority of a population, that isn't really diverse. Diversity to me is something like New York (Persians, African-americans, puerto-ricans, italians, africans, whites, mexicans etc.)

Austin, to me, is very conservative. Being conservative can have its positives and negatives, but compared to other cities, YES, it is very conservative, especially the Southwest and West area of Austin. I was shocked to come to Austin after their claims of being so 'liberal'. I stated before, most of the REAL liberals i have meant in Austin were fairly young (under 25 years old) and most are artistic/creative and/or a drifter or temporary/new transplant. Also, when i say diversity, I don't just mean races, but also cultures, something I feel New York has a lot of. But, then again, New york is a lot larger.....*shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin