U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:22 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
709 posts, read 611,715 times
Reputation: 478
First is Detroit and second is Austin. Although Portland is about as white as Detroit is black, so a good guess. =)

Last edited by BevoLJ; 03-02-2012 at 06:30 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
6,822 posts, read 10,507,142 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
First is Detroit and second is Austin. Although Portland is about as white as Detroit is black, so a good guess. =)
Bingo.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:37 PM
 
349 posts, read 587,793 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperRidge1 View Post
Thanks to many posters for the insights - Folks on the Pacific Coast are trying to escape the far left on the left coast, so Austin could be perfect for some of us. We are also looking for unemployment rates well under 10%, and median home prices under $200,000 However we are not looking for mold given the conditions of the coast. California and Oregon have serious problems and will take decades to recover.



My understanding is that Austin is the most liberal of the major metros in Texas. Is this correct ???
Your welcome And yes, Austin is considered more liberal than other parts of Texas. But, compared to Northern/Northeast states, and even some far west states, Austin and the rest of Texas is still far behind. There are some small cities only 15-25 minutes from Austin that blacks (or even Mexicans) wouldn't even step foot in because it is so racist (ie. Vidor, Texas). LIke someone else mention in this thread, if you really want liberal, you need to move in Central Austin/downtown near the UT campus.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
 
2,274 posts, read 3,294,824 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Your welcome And yes, Austin is considered more liberal than other parts of Texas. But, compared to Northern/Northeast states, and even some far west states, Austin and the rest of Texas is still far behind. There are some small cities only 15-25 minutes from Austin that blacks (or even Mexicans) wouldn't even step foot in because it is so racist (ie. Vidor, Texas). LIke someone else mention in this thread, if you really want liberal, you need to move in Central Austin/downtown near the UT campus.
I respect your opinion, but unfortunately, you're confusing two things that are completely separate from each other. Whether someone is liberal or conservative has nothing to do with whether that person is racist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
 
1,020 posts, read 1,096,261 times
Reputation: 1757
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
Your welcome And yes, Austin is considered more liberal than other parts of Texas. But, compared to Northern/Northeast states, and even some far west states, Austin and the rest of Texas is still far behind. There are some small cities only 15-25 minutes from Austin that blacks (or even Mexicans) wouldn't even step foot in because it is so racist (ie. Vidor, Texas). LIke someone else mention in this thread, if you really want liberal, you need to move in Central Austin/downtown near the UT campus.
This is so ignorant, I don't know where to start. Vidor is east of Beaumont in deep East Texas , the only part of the state that could be considered the deep South. It would be roughly a 4 and a half hour drive from Austin, could be up to 6 hours if the traffic through Houston was bad. (15 to 25 minutes not so much, unless you are flying the defunct Concorde.)

Texas is one of 4 majority minority states in the U.S. along with Hawaii, California and New Mexico. White/Anglo people are a statistical minority in the state of Texas. Dallas and Houston are the most racially integrated big cities in the U.S. I am not saying Texas is a racial panacea but it is far more racially diverse and integrated than any state east of the Mississippi.

While I think Austin has become more conservative, the liberal roots of Austin and Central Texas run deep. The area is mostly settled by German communists fleeing the failed European revolutions of 1848. Karl Marx had an uncle in New Braunfels. Travis County voted against secession. A group of young men leaving to fight for the Union were massacred in Comfort during the Civil War. Austin does implement a nasty relocation program in the 1930s to move all non-white people east of what will become IH35, but there is considerable resistance.

Austin is the third municipality in the U.S. to pass a gay rights ordinance in 1973. Travis County was the only county in Texas to vote against a state-wide constitutional ban on gay marriage. Most major intellectual left activism and publishing happens in Austin and has for the last 40 years. The Texas Observer, Hank Hightower, the late Molly Ivins of blessed memory. Has Austin in living memory ever elected a Republican mayor?

The state as a whole reflects national political trends - the big cities vote reliably democratic: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso. Fort Worth has the dubious distinction of being the only city with a population of over 500 000 to vote for McCain in 2008, along with Oklahoma City. The only reason congressional and state representatives are overwhelmingly Republican is because districts have been gerrymandered to hell - a tradition started by democrats when they had power. The rural areas with the exception of the Rio Grande valley vote Republican as rural areas mostly do in the nation at large, and the suburbs are purple. The suburbs of Austin, while less liberal than the city itself, are no more more conservative than the suburbs of any sunbelt city like Los Angeles or the suburbs of a more liberal city like Chicago, and are much less conservative than the suburbs of Phoenix or San Diego.

Texas is huge and diverse in racial, ethnic, social and political terms, and while Houston and Dallas are following fast, Austin remains its liberal heart.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 02:22 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
1,091 posts, read 1,207,869 times
Reputation: 827
Guys, there is a reason why you see so many white people out in the streets. You are not imagining things. Austin and Portland's populations are alot more similar than you think (though you'll have to pull teeth to get the City of Austin's demographer to admit that unless it's 'off the record').

(It's not a bad thing, just different)...Austin is getting whiter.

Racial demography subject is related to another thread (Gentification of East Austin) that appeared last month. Here is a repost:

Quote:
To borrow a line from former President Clinton, "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."

In my previous comment, I note that the city of Austin's demographer does not count other categories of white, simply "White, Alone" [whatever that means]. However, the US Census classifies "White, Alone", "White Hispanic", and numerous other categories all under the category "White Population". When added together in 2010, Austin became the 10th largest white population in the country*. US Census' The White Population 2010, 2010 Census Briefs publication even takes time to highlight Austin's achievement. (Out of everyone, US Census would be the official experts in population counting.) But, we do know that city demographers are also the experts in PR population massaging (Austin and Portland do it to "roll down" its Anglo populous, even as "chocolate cities" like Detroit, Atlanta, and Philadelphia do it to dramatize its white in-migration).

Then, why doesn't the city of Austin recognize the figures? Well they do, and they don't (and it gets complicated). The city does recognize the 562,451 total white pop. number (Austin has to, as its the US Census' official number), BUT, Austin is at liberty officially 'interpret' that count as they will. And in this scenario, in terms of Austin white population proportional percentage, the city has chosen to use the "white, alone" subset population as "white" within that larger number (562,451).

So, why the kabuki dance on white population? You know why!

A growing, diverse city 'meme' sells (Austin, Charlotte). A growing, [insert ethnicity] city may still sell, but marketing it may be problematic (Atlanta, San Antonio). One of the basic duties of a city demographer is to count population and business trends within the city. However, above all, the most important job that he or she has is to market the data. And apparently, the fact of Austin becoming a whiter city has been deemed by the city administration to be not 'marketable'.

These population numbers and Austin's new distinction by the US Census are not a big secret. City officials, affordable housing advocates have seen the census documents, which is why they have been so militant in their advoca[cy] within the City of Austin's Boards and Commissions.

*Reference: The White Population 2010, 2010 Census Briefs - http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-05.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 03-03-2012 at 02:42 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:09 AM
 
349 posts, read 587,793 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
This is so ignorant, I don't know where to start. Vidor is east of Beaumont in deep East Texas , the only part of the state that could be considered the deep South. It would be roughly a 4 and a half hour drive from Austin, could be up to 6 hours if the traffic through Houston was bad. (15 to 25 minutes not so much, unless you are flying the defunct Concorde.)

Texas is one of 4 majority minority states in the U.S. along with Hawaii, California and New Mexico. White/Anglo people are a statistical minority in the state of Texas. Dallas and Houston are the most racially integrated big cities in the U.S. I am not saying Texas is a racial panacea but it is far more racially diverse and integrated than any state east of the Mississippi.

While I think Austin has become more conservative, the liberal roots of Austin and Central Texas run deep. The area is mostly settled by German communists fleeing the failed European revolutions of 1848. Karl Marx had an uncle in New Braunfels. Travis County voted against secession. A group of young men leaving to fight for the Union were massacred in Comfort during the Civil War. Austin does implement a nasty relocation program in the 1930s to move all non-white people east of what will become IH35, but there is considerable resistance.

Austin is the third municipality in the U.S. to pass a gay rights ordinance in 1973. Travis County was the only county in Texas to vote against a state-wide constitutional ban on gay marriage. Most major intellectual left activism and publishing happens in Austin and has for the last 40 years. The Texas Observer, Hank Hightower, the late Molly Ivins of blessed memory. Has Austin in living memory ever elected a Republican mayor?

The state as a whole reflects national political trends - the big cities vote reliably democratic: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso. Fort Worth has the dubious distinction of being the only city with a population of over 500 000 to vote for McCain in 2008, along with Oklahoma City. The only reason congressional and state representatives are overwhelmingly Republican is because districts have been gerrymandered to hell - a tradition started by democrats when they had power. The rural areas with the exception of the Rio Grande valley vote Republican as rural areas mostly do in the nation at large, and the suburbs are purple. The suburbs of Austin, while less liberal than the city itself, are no more more conservative than the suburbs of any sunbelt city like Los Angeles or the suburbs of a more liberal city like Chicago, and are much less conservative than the suburbs of Phoenix or San Diego.

Texas is huge and diverse in racial, ethnic, social and political terms, and while Houston and Dallas are following fast, Austin remains its liberal heart.
What is so ignorant about my statement? I'm confused?; except for my correct estimation of the distance between Vidor and Austin. The whole point is that there are racially charged cities that are located near Austin. Did I not state that there are SOME liberal parts in Austin, such as the Central/downtown area and some parts of North Austin?

"Texas is one of 4 majority minority states in the U.S. along with Hawaii, California and New Mexico"

Yes, however, which would receive the most discrimination, a white/anglo or an African-American/Latino? Let us not pretend that the black population is not extremely low in Austin, there is a reason for this....especially with so many african americans and other minorities fleeing their own native state to Texas to look for jobs....if Austin is so liberal, why hasn't there been a major increase of African-Americans in Austin? What is keeping this ethnic group from this city? I think Austin is beautiful and it is merely safe, but blacks and other minorities still choose to run to neighboring southern states.

"Austin does implement a nasty relocation program in the 1930s to move all non-white people east of what will become IH35, but there is considerable resistance."

This program still exist....it is just hidden better.

"While I think Austin has become more conservative, the liberal roots of Austin and Central Texas run deep."

Well, I don't know how deep the liberal roots run, but if you are saying that Austin has always been liberal or had liberal tendencies in the past, I don't agree with that. Wasn't Texas the last state to get rid of slavery?

"Austin is the third municipality in the U.S. to pass a gay rights ordinance in 1973. Travis County was the only county in Texas to vote against a state-wide constitutional ban on gay marriage.

True. In conclusion, it seems Austin is liberal on certain things, but tend to be rigid when it comes to other stuff..such as race....there is racial tension in Texas as a whole...(Austin as well), if we can get rid of that, then we got ourselves a 100% beautiful liberal city
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 AM
 
349 posts, read 587,793 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I respect your opinion, but unfortunately, you're confusing two things that are completely separate from each other. Whether someone is liberal or conservative has nothing to do with whether that person is racist.
Hi Mark311, yes, I do believe that racism is seperate from being liberal or conservative, but you can't really split the two 100%.

Liberal- Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

This would apply to a ton of values/topics, such as; gay rights, racial equality, social norms, religion, law, etc.

Now, it is true that some people are willing to be liberal on SOME things, but stand rigid on other traditional values. I call these, part-time liberals! lol
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
460 posts, read 606,206 times
Reputation: 329
Great post, @homeintx, I didn't know all that about Austin's history.

@sajae, Whether Texas was the last state to abolish Slavery isn't the point -- Texas is the second largest state in the country. You wouldn't compare Orange County with San Francisco. The question was about Austin, which voted against secession and sent volunteers to the union army. What else were they supposed to do? Do you imagine that anyone today in the middle of a large state leaning almost entirely in one direction would risk their very lives to take the opposite position on something so controversial? Banning plastic bags hasn't got anything on being the only city for hundreds of miles to support the union!

I consider myself a social liberal (in that I am not religious and spent some time in the theater world...tough not to be after that!) but your definition of 'diversity' seems to be moving the goalposts. Much of Southern CA and Texas' 'diversity' is between whites and Hispanics; if you suddenly want to dismiss Hispanics or decide that they are the same thing as 'white' to get better numbers, I guess that's fine, but to me there is significant difference between Anglo/Norman Caucasian descent and Hispanic descent ... at least as 'significant' as any of that stuff is in modern USA where who you are and what you do matters more than where your grandparents came from.

It is interesting to me that you are complaining about lack of racial diversity but upset about the presence of political diversity. You would prefer everybody agreed with you entirely? They won't agree with me -- fiscally I'm right up there with the church crowd but on every other matter under the sun I'm not. I had the reverse problem in NYC. I'm used to it. It doesn't ruin friendships. I am happy to run into people of any political persuasion outside of the most extreme on either side; I don't listen to Limbaugh or Olbermann for that reason. Give me political diversity over any other kind any day of the week. Politically heterogeneous towns occasionally see people actually discuss things and change their minds. I think that last happened in Brooklyn in 1937.

@homeintx gave you a laundry list of fairly courageous (for their time) stances Austin has taken over the years. To dismiss the entire place as somehow lacking in liberal purity just because it's not San Francisco is just as misleading as the suggestion that Austin is a liberal mecca.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
8,629 posts, read 15,997,252 times
Reputation: 2318
"What is so ignorant about my statement? I'm confused?; except for my correct estimation of the distance between Vidor and Austin"

OMG!! You seriously believe Vidor is abt. 15-25 minutes from Austin? Please, please, please get a map or key in a Texas map on your computer!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top