Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:17 AM

40 posts, read 65,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Are you people advocating your God-given right to speed even listening to yourselves?

It boggles the mind. It really does. Where WERE your parents when you were growing up? Who the heck taught you to drive and the rules of the road, and can we get them fired?

"I wanna" is not a valid reason for speeding and thinking everyone should get out of your way so that you can. That's childish reasoning, if reasoning at all.

No, it's not up to me how fast everyone goes. That's why we have speed limits, that it is up to how fast everyone goes. That's not "self-entitlement", that's obeying the rules of the road and expecting everyone else to do likewise.

Again, stated repeatedly, I move over if someone comes barreling up behind me as if their manhood were somehow tied to the accelerator pedal, and I don't care about speeding. I do care about the fact that there are people out there on the road with the attitude that if they don't like a particular traffic law, they certainly shouldn't be expected to obey it and that people who do obey it and get in their way are the ones that are unreasonable.

That is a prime indicator of a bad, bad, bad driver and it's scary to read these forums and realize how many of them there are out there on the roads. No telling what other traffic laws (or laws in general) they think shouldn't apply to them because they are somehow "special" (no, no matter what your Mommy told you, the world does NOT revolve around you and your wannas).

Speed if you want. At least, though, man up enough to admit that you're the one deliberately choosing to do something illegal and potentially dangerous to you and others and that no one else is responsible for your agonizing pain if you are not allowed to do so for some brief period of time.

While we're at it, I assume that no one here that whines and moans and beats their breast because people driving the speed limit aren't going with the flow of traffic wouldn't be doing this whining if the traffic, as a whole, is driving at the speed limit or less, and that they would, themselves, then be driving with THAT flow of traffic? Wouldn't be doing your dead level best to weave in and out of traffic, cursing madly, in order to go faster rather than driving with the flow of traffic?

Hmmmm. Didn't think so.

If you were obeying the rules of the road, we wouldn't have this problem. You wouldn't be in the left lane, and people would be able to pass you.

I understand where you are coming from. I used to be like you: "Screw that person behind me, I'M going the speed limit and I am RIGHT." That was until I realized I was wrong. I always move out of the way. I hope you learn too.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 AM

16 posts, read 28,970 times
Sometimes I find myself moving over to get out of the way of merging traffic but not comfortable going more than 10 over the speed limit. I also don't want to get a ticket. I try to stay away from 35 these days. Not enough lanes and too many frustrated drivers.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
If you were obeying the rules of the road, we wouldn't have this problem. You wouldn't be in the left lane, and people would be able to pass you.

I understand where you are coming from. I used to be like you: "Screw that person behind me, I'M going the speed limit and I am RIGHT." That was until I realized I was wrong. I always move out of the way. I hope you learn too.
Apparently you haven't been reading my posts for comprehension. Several times I have mentioned that I do move out of the way of faster traffic coming up behind if safety and traffic allows, though I won't slow down to do so but will wait until I have passed the traffic on my right to a clear space. (I happen to think that's safer than putting on the brakes in the middle of the highway to slow down enough to move over, then adjust speed up to match speed of traffic in the right lane, then pull over, driving not only the person behind me but everyone behind them crazy and risking an accident in the process. YMMV, of course, as to what's most important in that scenario.) This, of course, if I'm in the left lane in the first place, which I rarely am - if it's three lanes, I prefer the middle lane to allow people entering the highway plenty of room to do so and to allow people to pass on the left without causing them apoplexy.

I have also mentioned that I tend to drive five to ten miles over the limit myself, merely that I don't pretend that I'm not the one causing the problem by making the deliberate choice to do so. I'm not interested in blocking people in order to force them to obey the speed limit; as I believe I also mentioned a couple of times,it's to my advantage to let them by if only because they're bait to pick off any law enforcement that might be ahead (and where I drive most often, there frequently is).

So, you see, I DO obey the traffic law regarding slower traffic moving to the right. That's not the point at all.

The point is the WHINERS who seem to think that if THEY choose to break the traffic laws, that it's someone else's fault if they don't get to do so for some brief period of time, because clearly THEY could NEVER be responsible for anything at all - it's always someone else's fault if life doesn't go exactly as they wish.

Speed if you want. Just STOP WHINING when you don't always get your way all the time and blaming people who are obeying the law for your pain. Own up and accept that you're bringing it on yourself.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
I haven't had the time to read all the posts but would like to ask opinions on if this fast lane driving applies to city roads as well. If I need to make a left turn off a major arterial without a turn lane, then I need to travel in that lane and eventually slow down to do so. Invariably, this irritates the driver behind me as if I have impeded his/her speed by being in the left lane at all. I think this sense that the left lane is for anyone who wishes to exceed the speed limit is rampant but I honestly dont know what the law says.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 AM

247 posts, read 558,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I haven't had the time to read all the posts but would like to ask opinions on if this fast lane driving applies to city roads as well. If I need to make a left turn off a major arterial without a turn lane, then I need to travel in that lane and eventually slow down to do so. Invariably, this irritates the driver behind me as if I have impeded his/her speed by being in the left lane at all. I think this sense that the left lane is for anyone who wishes to exceed the speed limit is rampant but I honestly dont know what the law says.
How far before the turn do you start slowing down? Also are you signaling?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Apparently you haven't been reading my posts for comprehension. Several times I have mentioned that I do move out of the way of faster traffic coming up behind if safety and traffic allows, though I won't slow down to do so but will wait until I have passed the traffic on my right to a clear space. (I happen to think that's safer than putting on the brakes in the middle of the highway to slow down enough to move over, then adjust speed up to match speed of traffic in the right lane, then pull over, driving not only the person behind me but everyone behind them crazy and risking an accident in the process. YMMV, of course, as to what's most important in that scenario.) This, of course, if I'm in the left lane in the first place, which I rarely am - if it's three lanes, I prefer the middle lane to allow people entering the highway plenty of room to do so and to allow people to pass on the left without causing them apoplexy.

I have also mentioned that I tend to drive five to ten miles over the limit myself, merely that I don't pretend that I'm not the one causing the problem by making the deliberate choice to do so. I'm not interested in blocking people in order to force them to obey the speed limit; as I believe I also mentioned a couple of times,it's to my advantage to let them by if only because they're bait to pick off any law enforcement that might be ahead (and where I drive most often, there frequently is).

So, you see, I DO obey the traffic law regarding slower traffic moving to the right. That's not the point at all.

The point is the WHINERS who seem to think that if THEY choose to break the traffic laws, that it's someone else's fault if they don't get to do so for some brief period of time, because clearly THEY could NEVER be responsible for anything at all - it's always someone else's fault if life doesn't go exactly as they wish.

Speed if you want. Just STOP WHINING when you don't always get your way all the time and blaming people who are obeying the law for your pain. Own up and accept that you're bringing it on yourself.
In my original post I asked the question specifically saying "driving in left lane at or below speed limit". I never said "I am going 100mph on I-35 and the idiot in the left lane won't move over while (s)he is going 90mph..." (even though they should anyways...)

I think I have every right to WHINE when you are sitting in that lane at 70mph effectively enforcing the speed limit on everyone else all the while there is a mile of open lane in front of you. What you should be doing is either passing the vehicle next to you (meaning increase your speed by 5-10 mph) and moving over or slow down and move over. You should not just sit in the lane all the way down to San Antonio at 70mph just because the speed limit is 70 mph. That's inconsiderate, stupid and above all, it can also be a cause for accidents (this is why the "opposite" law exists - the one where you can get a ticket for slowing down the traffic).

Again, it is about the difference between the "spirit of the law" and the "letter of the law". Anyone who cannot make this differentiation has the reasoning skills of a 7 year old (since you have been invoking parents, upbringing etc. in this thread).

OD

Old 01-20-2012, 08:54 AM

40 posts, read 65,546 times
Quote:

I didn't know I was whining. **cough**

I don't see anything wrong about speeders complaining that someone is going 60 in the left lane.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
I am always amazed by how many people believe every word that is written in here...

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,486 times
Austin is notorious for that. I have my theories, but many people are not as "in a hurry" as elsewhere. Mindset here is more laid back.

Here's the deal for all you folks who see us going around you-
No matter what speed limit you are driving, if people are passing you on the right, then you have BECOME slower traffic! Move over!!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
In my original post I asked the question specifically saying "driving in left lane at or below speed limit". I never said "I am going 100mph on I-35 and the idiot in the left lane won't move over while (s)he is going 90mph..." (even though they should anyways...)

I think I have every right to WHINE when you are sitting in that lane at 70mph effectively enforcing the speed limit on everyone else all the while there is a mile of open lane in front of you. What you should be doing is either passing the vehicle next to you (meaning increase your speed by 5-10 mph) and moving over or slow down and move over. You should not just sit in the lane all the way down to San Antonio at 70mph just because the speed limit is 70 mph. That's inconsiderate, stupid and above all, it can also be a cause for accidents (this is why the "opposite" law exists - the one where you can get a ticket for slowing down the traffic).

Again, it is about the difference between the "spirit of the law" and the "letter of the law". Anyone who cannot make this differentiation has the reasoning skills of a 7 year old (since you have been invoking parents, upbringing etc. in this thread).

OD
This is for texas (and most states). There are around 12 states which differ. Some of the 12 are more strict saying you always have to move over for faster traffic. There are others which say as long as you are going the speed limit you can be in the left lane.

The spirit and the letter of the law are similar. If the "normal speed", which means what most people are doing, is faster than you then you have to switch lanes to the right. If you are going the "normal speed" and a speeder comes up behind you then you dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin