Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM

41 posts, read 113,784 times

Advertisements

This is annoys me so much when others do this but I am honestly curious...

I interviewed for a State Government job (Depart. Ag) a few days before christmas. Although I thought I didn't do so well on the interview, I was surprised they called my current employer last Thursday (1/12) for a Reference/Screen. I contacted my other two past employers but they hadn't responded if they heard or not.

My question is (1) is it typical for Government HR to contact the references for multiple candidates after interview or just the top one?
(2) Its been a week, IF I was the selected candidate what is an estimate of how long they would take to offer me the position. (Im sure this very from place to place but Im wondering what is reasonable, monday was a holiday and my understanding it today is also a state holiday)

I did email the interviewed before she checked my references, she told me they were "in the process of getting references"

Anyone who works for the state and has been through the process in the past, please share you story. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,110 times
The State is slow moving on hiring.

I would imagine each agency probably does things a little different as they all have their own HR departments.

Just breathe and relax. It took me about 4 months to be hired years ago from first contact/interview to start date. For another job it was between 2 and 3 months.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:17 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,981,726 times
I'm a 17 year Texas state employee with the past 10 of it being in management. I've only checked references for my top candidate, but if there were concerns with those references, then I would move to the second candidate. I can't speak for others or other agencies, but that's how I've done it in both agencies I've worked for. (neither of them is TDA though) Each agency is vastly different in their hiring/employment processes.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
The state only checks references for the top candidate. It is usually the responsibility of the hiring manager to do so. 90% of the time none of the references or just the last one is contacted.

Due to HR and other red tape, it's not uncommon for the selected candidate to get the job offer 2-4 weeks after references have been checked.

/used to be a hiring manager @ TxDOT.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM

29 posts, read 89,231 times
I just got a job with Travis County and it took 2 and a half months from the date I e-mailed my resume to receiving the offer. I keep in touch with my old employer so I know they checked my references the day after my first interview. I gave them a list of 6 references and they called 3. After they checked my references, I had a second round of interviews 2 weeks after that and then got the offer about a week after that. It is VERY slow compared to private or public companies but I also think it was b/c all of this happened over the holidays. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Sweet....I have only been with my current employer (Federal Government) for 18 months so the hiring manager/interviewer contacted them, and I heard from my previous employer today and the hiring manager spoke to her last week as well. She said she thought it "went well" so hopefully...fingers and toes crossed, I will hear back soon. I personally am not IN a rush to get started because I do currently have a job and dont want to have to move ahead of my husband, just ready to know I have something coming!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:33 AM

More questions....I still have not heard back, but today is only the 2nd week from when I asked the status with the Hiring Manager.

If I were to be offered the position, I am assuming there is a "background check" period, so if that were the case, am i looking at an extended time before I can start?

Obviously I am a planner and don't take uncertainty very well!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 AM

Thank you everyone, I got the job.

One more question, start date is March 1, will my first paycheck be March 15, or will I have to wait until April?..

Old 02-04-2012, 10:10 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
The state only pays once a month. On the 1st. So you will not receive a paycheck until 4/1.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,822 times
I'm going through the same thing! I applied and had my interview on 8/30 and my old boss was telling me they contacted her for a reference on 9/6. However I haven't heard anything and they told me I should have known by 9/6 or no later than 2 weeks. My dilemma is that I have another job on hold for this one. I really want to work at the courthouse not the bank. It pays better and is full time. I'm hoping I hear back by tomorrow other wise I have to accept the bank job. Should I wait longer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin