Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM

44 posts, read 81,661 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here ( Loyal Forever and Hook'em Horns!!) and love this video!

Austin really was a smalltown.

It is going around on Facebook/youtube but thought I would share it.

Aqua Fest, skipper pins...

Enjoy and comment if you feel the urge!

DO YOU REMEMBER AUSTIN (BACK IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS).avi - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,249,440 times
It was a sick feeling to get to the opening Friday of Aquafest and realize you hadn't bought a skipper pin - and now couldn't!

Saw SO MANY great acts there - Four Tops, the pre-Natalie Maines Dixie Chicks, Texas Tornados, the Original Texas Playboys with Eldon Shambiln and Leon Rausch. And Asleep at the Wheel more times than I can remember. Obviously I am an old fart, but I would trade Aquafest for both SCL and SXSW in a NY minute. Unlike both those events, it was for Austinites.

Last edited by scm53; 01-19-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 PM

471 posts, read 1,602,777 times
Looks like a cool place to live back then!

Well at least the community + listener-supported radio station, KOOP FM 91.7, still seems to have retained a creative/quirky/fun personality among all the "modern" improvements the city is going through. Too bad it shuts down after 7:00 or so. I listen to them via their internet stream.

Btw if you've never listened to a station like that i.e. non-commercial, you'll be amazed at all the different music they play that people actually like vs. what some corporate focus-grouped/spreadsheet-approved "safe music" playlist sounds like that most for-profit stations usually play (worn out classics played over and over again, DJs restricted to saying only what is on some pre-approved script & who may actually be recording their lines in another city and of course, the endless commercials).

Old 01-19-2012, 04:26 PM

12,890 posts, read 13,205,259 times
By golly, that sure looks familiar....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-old-days.html

But it's great to hear & see it anytime!

Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM

44 posts, read 81,661 times
Yes, I am one of the lucky ones who grew up in this city!

49 years young and I still love it as much as I did when I was young!

And, Aqua Festival was "the" event to go to back then... if you get a chance and use Facebook, there is a FB page that is called "remember when" and it is so much fun to read all the posts and see the pictures that people post from the good 'ole days!

Cheers, Sue

Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

12,890 posts, read 13,205,259 times
The old Aquafest parade on Town Lake was really cool. We used to take the kids & sit on blankets to watch it all.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,231,296 times
So, Sue, I guess you were about 6 when I came to Austin. I remember fondly everything in that video. I'm even indirectly mentioned in it - was one of the hippies selling flowers by the road back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: