U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 AM

287 posts, read 284,869 times
Default Idea for unique birthday party for 4 year old

Our 4 year old son has had a rough few months, in hosptial, etc. He is ok now, but his birthday is coming up and we would like to do something. We have done the bounce houses and pizza parties, nothing wrong with all that. But I would love any ideas for unique birthday parties we could do. We dont want to be at our house, have done that a lot too. We were thinking along the lines of ideas with science, art, music, animals. Destinations where we could have the party there and ideally rent the place out, etc. We like the idea of Austin Children's Museum, but my understanding is that although you can reserve a private room, that the museum is absolutely nuts crowded on the weekends, so not a great experience (?)

Thanks for any ideas. We would be willing to drive anywhere within about 30 minutes of the downtown area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,447,337 times
When my son was about that age, we had an absolutely great birthday party with 5 boys by going to a park that was very open and flying kites and all manner of things that go up into the air. It was simple, but the boys really liked it.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:41 AM

34 posts, read 62,080 times
We went to a birthday party at the Austin Children's Museum that was really unique back when my son was in preschool. It was held on Sunday morning, so the party guests (and their parents) had the entire museum to themselves. It was also really easy to find convenient street side parking. I think the kids had 90 minutes to explore the museum and then we went to a private room for sandwiches, b-day cake, presents around the time the museum was opening to the public.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM

264 posts, read 429,468 times
I love the idea of a kite flying party. You could go to Zilker park. Of course, it would be wind-dependent, but you could probably get some flying in regardless.

We also had a really fun "treasure hunt" party. The kids loved it. You could tie it into science and animals and his interests.

When my youngest turned 4, he loved firefighters, and the Westlake Fire Dept on Loop 360 opened their doors to us, set up a table, everything. All of the kids got a great tour of the fire house and the truck and also got to spray the water hose (the highlight!). WFD will also come to your house. They will do REALLY fun splash downs where they spray the kids with water hoses (of course, if this birthday is soon, it might be too cold for that).

One of my sons is really into science and we did a science party at our house. Made slime, did alka seltzer "explosions", diet coke & mentos...the kids loved it. Sometimes I think you can create the most creative parties on your own and that's all 4 yr olds need.

We had a magic party one year for our son who was really into magic. That was such a fun party. Found a wonderful magician who was fabulous with the kids. Had a magic hat birthday cake.

Lots of fun ideas....just build it off his interests!

ETA: Yes, the parties we've attended at Austin Children's museum can get crowded because the museum is generally open to the public. It would probably be a fortune to get a private rental.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 AM

264 posts, read 429,468 times
Two more thoughts....if your child is into animals...how about something at the Austin Nature Center? You could also go to the Austin Zoo (west of the city). It's not a fancy zoo (or what you might traditionally think of a zoo), but there are a bunch of great animals to see and a train that runs through it that young kids enjoy. It's very manageable in size and might be fun...never been invited to a bday party there!

Mad Science may also host bday parties....so if you don't want to do it at your house, try giving them a call.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 PM

11,921 posts, read 11,392,760 times
Might want to take a look at Art Attack. You make your own pottery - plates, bowls, cups, etc. I haven't been, but nieces/nephews have and they have said it was fun. They host parties.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:16 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,447,337 times
I think I remember that the Nature Center at Zilker does birthday parties. You might want to give them a call.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 PM

1,631 posts, read 1,703,089 times
What about Pioneer Farms looks like you can rent for parties and stuff

Pioneer Farms - Home

Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM

287 posts, read 284,869 times
thanks for all the great ideas... really appreciate it. Nature Center at Zilker is very convenient for us and we are leaning toward that option... thanks again!

Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
thanks for all the great ideas... really appreciate it. Nature Center at Zilker is very convenient for us and we are leaning toward that option... thanks again!

The Austin Nature Center does great parties for the 4-7 age group. Nice mix of structure and open-ended play, more private than the Children's Museum and beautiful setting. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin