U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2012, 09:42 AM

5 posts, read 14,339 times

Advertisements

What UBC or IBC code states a residential bathroom window that is more than 3 feet above the top rim of a bath tub must have safety glass? Failed inspection due to this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 6,950,037 times
I am guessing that this is a change from the old code. Austin now follows the 2009 code. I used to be able to find the complete code on the CoA website but the new website defeats me. I'm sure someone else will chime in. Did the inspection not specify the precise part of the code?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM

Thanks for responding.
No, the inspectors correction notice did not have any information at all. Can not get a return phone call or page.
I agree the new COA website is very difficult.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:52 AM

You could try to search through this! This is the basis for Austin's code.

International Building Code

Try looking at chapter 24: glass and glazing, then hazardous locations, frankly it doesn't make sense to me. Hope that Capt Rn chimes in.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Thanks for the Link. I read through every section under Glass & Glazing. Still can not find a code requiring this window to have safety glass. The window sill is 5' above the floor. The total surface of the window is 6 square feet.
Again, thank you.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM

14,518 posts, read 21,161,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
You could try to search through this! This is the basis for Austin's code.

International Building Code

Try looking at chapter 24: glass and glazing, then hazardous locations, frankly it doesn't make sense to me. Hope that Capt Rn chimes in.
The City's new website absolutely sucks, over half of the links I tried are broken.

I believe that link above is to the code for commercial buildings. According to the city website Austin is using the 2006 International Residential Code for residential projects.

Which I found here: International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings

This section appears to be applicable to the situation described above.
Chapter 3 - Building Planning

Quote:
[SIZE=2]R308.4 Hazardous locations. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
The following shall be considered specific hazardous locations for the purposes of glazing: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
1. Glazing in swinging doors except jalousies. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]2. Glazing in fixed and sliding panels of sliding door assemblies and panels in sliding and bifold closet door assemblies. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]3. Glazing in storm doors. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]4. Glazing in all unframed swinging doors. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]5. Glazing in doors and enclosures for hot tubs, whirlpools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs and showers. Glazing in any part of a building wall enclosing these compartments where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60 inches (1524 mm) measured vertically above any standing or walking surface. [/SIZE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR1 View Post
Thanks for the Link. I read through every section under Glass & Glazing. Still can not find a code requiring this window to have safety glass. The window sill is 5' above the floor. The total surface of the window is 6 square feet.
Again, thank you.
5' equals 60", are you measuring from the hieght of the floor in the shower or tub?

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-22-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM

14,518 posts, read 21,161,315 times
This is where the City code ammendments say they are using the 2006 International Residential Code

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/title25landdevelopment/chapter25-12technicalcodes?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vi d=amlegal:austin_tx$anc=JD_25-12-243

I don't know why that link won't parse. It works if you copy and paste it into your browser.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:12 PM

So only commercial projects are using the 2009 code? Just finished a commercial project that we scrambled to get approved using the 2006 code. Some of the energy efficiency requirements in the new code are a bit stringent -- especially for a non-profit renovating a older building.

Glad to know I'm not that only one frustrated by the new CoA website.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM

Thanks for your help Guys. Passed Inspection, first time missed it by 1/2" so raised the window. Was measured from the high point of the tubs surface..............live and learn, sometimes close enough is really not!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin