Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:31 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,025,775 times

Advertisements

Everyone has his own idea about the "best" BBQ. We happen to love Salt Lick. Everyone we've ever taken there from out of town has either loved it or at the very least liked it a great deal. Last spring I took my sister and her teenaged sons and she said, "I'm not a big eater of meat, but this incredible" My 17 year old nephew responded something like, "Well, I AM a big eater of meat, and this is incredible" But there are people on this board that would turn their noses up at it. So as with everything involving taste buds, you may end up loving it, or may think it's just ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM

137 posts, read 452,959 times
I understand Jennibc. Just didn't want to drive the distance if there was something as good and closer.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,025,775 times
The drive out there is part of the charm

Old 01-26-2012, 03:37 PM

But the drive will be at night in the dark? Still worth it?

Old 01-26-2012, 04:14 PM

527 posts, read 1,229,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Wow - what great informative replies. Thanks. I'm learning that Salt Lick is not necessarily the BEST bbq in town (or actually out of town) but would like the BEST in town with good side dishes. Could it be Rudy's Mann's, Franklins, J. Muellers that others have suggested? Looking for GREAT ribs (pork preferably - do they even serve pork ribs in Texas ).

And I someone wrote of other Mexican restaurants like Matt's, Habanero's, Santa Rita, and Curra's. Any more comments on those?

Looking forward to visiting next month (maybe you will dry out by then).
Personally, I love Rudy's but I know there are folks who don't agree with me. Franklin's is good too, but go early - they sell out quickly.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Wow - what great informative replies. Thanks. I'm learning that Salt Lick is not necessarily the BEST bbq in town (or actually out of town) but would like the BEST in town with good side dishes. Could it be Rudy's Mann's, Franklins, J. Muellers that others have suggested? Looking for GREAT ribs (pork preferably - do they even serve pork ribs in Texas ).

And I someone wrote of other Mexican restaurants like Matt's, Habanero's, Santa Rita, and Curra's. Any more comments on those?

Looking forward to visiting next month (maybe you will dry out by then).
Hell yeah, they serve pork ribs in Texas I actually like the pork ribs at Salt Lick better than their brisket. For brisket JMueller is amazing...and much less of a racket than Franklin. (Sorry if I'm repeating what folks have already said) Rudy's is the Fender Strat of BBQ....reliable, solid, rarely disappoints, but lacks that certain je ne sais quoi that takes it to the next level!

For Mexican, I assume Matt's is referring to Matt's El Rancho on South Lamar, and yes it's good! For really great Tex-Mex I like Trudy's which is up by campus. I've heard Habanero's is good but never been. This all sounds so yummy right now, damn.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,240,558 times
JMIB - your time constraints may neck down you choices. If you only have one free afternoon, there is a better than even chance JMueller's and Franklin will be closed by the afternoon (out of meat). So now, you are down to Rudy's or Salt Lick. I don't think there is a comparison when it comes to the brisket between the two. Rudy's doesn't have as thick a salt and pepper rub crust, and usually doesn't have as pronounced as smoke ring around the outside, signifying the time and smoke used to make it. I just don't find their brisket as flavorful as Salt Lick's. Now, if you want other stuff - the PORK ribs at both are very good. Sausage is better at Rudy's. Sides at Rudy's are benign - beans, mayo cole slaw, mustard potato salad. The creamed corn is fantastic. I think we talked about the sides at Salt Lick.

But remember, when it comes to sides, the traditional Texas BBQ sides are crackers, jalapeños, and chunks of cheddar cheese. All this other stuff is an aberration.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
Last time I went to Rudy's, I was seriously disappointed. The brisket, which had always been reliable before if not outstanding by any means (and, yes, I ordered it with flavor - extra moist), tasted as if it had been steamed, not BBQ'd. I don't know what was up with them, but it was NOT good. Several other things had changed, as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:16 PM

970 posts, read 1,863,578 times
But remember, when it comes to sides, the traditional Texas BBQ sides are crackers, jalapeños, and chunks of cheddar cheese. All this other stuff is an aberration.

Uh..........oh..............Last time I checked, I was Native Texan, and don't remember EVER having crackers, jalapenos, and chunks of cheddar cheese with BBQ..........chili, yes!

Anyway, I suggest that you don't need to drive to Salt Lick unless you have the time and inclination. (And really, it's kind of an OK drive and you end up in the middle of nowhere. You'll be seeing plenty of "nowhere" on your way here from Houston.)

You will be well-served by hitting up one of the many fine establishments here. My son loves the St. Louis ribs at Rudy's............which also has very good sides.

As far as the Tex-Mex, the only comment I want to make is that Guero's is disappointing and overrated.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the continued recommendations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin