Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 PM

970 posts, read 1,863,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeInBrandon View Post
Wow, wow, wow! So much to consider. This is our dilema on time - my husband will be in a fishing tournament until 6 p.m. We will have met that morning at 4:30 a.m. That evening we don't want to drive far for dinner if you can understand how tired we will be. That is why I was trying to avoid Salt Lick and that drive. Rudy's was mentioned by several earlier being good and I looked it up online, but the past few posts Rudy's is not recommended because it's a chain (which I didn't know). My hubby and I both will order pork ribs whichever place we go to so forget the brisket, etc.

Question - JMuerller and Franklin's: I may have looked up a wrong site but aren't both of those just trailers that they cook out of and you eat outside? We definitely want an indoor restaurant, even if the BBQ is great, but then again, we will be going in the evening and they would have been sold out, but are they really food trailers?

And on the Mexican restaurant, Chuy's was the one recommended by most followed by Matt's El Rancho. Haven't figured out which Mexican to go to either and do not need the "inner Mexico" foods as one poster so helpfully told us about.

And regarding spending one of those days (before the tournament) window shopping on Congress - how far down are we talking on Congress? In other words, where should be drive to and park so we can walk from one end to the other?

Thank you ALL for so much information!!
(They are NOT on a QUEST for the BEST BBQ in the Country EVER!)

Well.................as you can see, BBQ (esp. in the Central TX area) is a very heated topic. Tex/Mex is too, but not nearly as much.

Rudy's IS a chain.................get over it, folks! It is very down-homish / casual...........you eat on picnic tables indoors and outdoors. County Line(s )(the two of them) have views. Both have pork ribs.

Matt's El Rancho is pretty "reliable" and centrally located. The original Chuy's is kinda "tourist-trappy," but I still love to go there, and take our out-of-towners there.

Yes, make a point of walking up and down SoCo.............it really comes alive at night.

Enjoy yourselves..............Love Bama!

Last edited by N. Olikee; 01-28-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM

137 posts, read 452,959 times
Jennibc - you wrote:

"Same for Johnny T's Round Rock BBQ, Moonie's Burgers, Austin Diner and a few other places I've come to enjoy. Sorry for leaving the BBQ train!"

I had read that Hut's Burgers were good. Hadn't heard of Moonie's. Which is better? My hubby loves his burgers and fries too.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:41 PM

Ok, another question. If we are window-shopping on South Congress of afternoon, what is the best casual restaurant (any kind other than bbq or Mexican since we are doing those at night) to get a bite from for lunch?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 PM

P.S. to N. Olikee: Roll Tide!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,761,453 times
Quote:
Ok, another question. If we are window-shopping on South Congress of afternoon, what is the best casual restaurant (any kind other than bbq or Mexican since we are doing those at night) to get a bite from for lunch?
Hopdoddy (burgers) and Homeslice pizza and across the street from each other on SoCo, both are great. There are also several great food trucks a couple blocks further south.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,189,088 times
It's not so much that Rudy's is a chain (though that usually is a problem as far as good BBQ is concerned) as that their BBQ is . . . adequate and reliable. (Except for our last abysmal experience.) But it looks from your last post as if that's really what you're looking for under the circumstances. Given the update on your needs, I'd say probably County Line on the Lake.

Another option (though I haven't eaten there in donkey's years so can't really attest to its current quality though it used to be good) on South Congress that's not BBQ or Tex-Mex but IS an Austin classic is Magnolia Cafe.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Quote:
Jennibc - you wrote:

"Same for Johnny T's Round Rock BBQ, Moonie's Burgers, Austin Diner and a few other places I've come to enjoy. Sorry for leaving the BBQ train!"

I had read that Hut's Burgers were good. Hadn't heard of Moonie's. Which is better? My hubby loves his burgers and fries too.
Actually, that quote was from me. Moonie's is primarily north of the Austin core...MoPac & Duval and 183 @ Anderson Mill would be the closest in. The original location is actually in Cedar Park on S. Bell('old' 183) and there's a location in Pf-ville where Dot's closed a while back. Good burgers on a sweet bun and excellent fries, both 'normal' potato and sweet potato. The two 183 locations are slammed at lunch-time...try to get there before 11:30 or after 1:00 unless you don't mind standing in line.

By the bye, made it to Matt's for the first time last night. I've not seen that many people in a restaurant since our last visit to the Oasis . Food was very good, parking is abysmal. Traffic along there on a Saturday night--priceless.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:54 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,040,093 times
Quote:
Jennibc - you wrote:

hopdoddys for burgers - medium rare

Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Hopdoddy (burgers) and Homeslice pizza and across the street from each other on SoCo, both are great. There are also several great food trucks a couple blocks further south.
I think pizza sounds good for the lunch that day. Looked up the website and never actually had "Chicago-style" pizza before so would like to try. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 PM

Ok, so narrowing everything down and trying to stay within a close proximity to our hotel and looking at the restaurants' menus on their web sites, I think we will try Country Line for the bbq (15 minutes for our hotel) versus Salt Lick (because of the drive) vs. Rudy's (because of their limited sides) vs. Franklin's and JMuellers since they will run out of meat by dinner.

For Mexican I am swaying more towards Matt's El Rancho (9 minutes from hotel) but Chuy's is a very close second (15 minutes from hotel). Not final on that one. Trudy's is the closet to the hotel (6 minutes) but not enough good comments on them.

Our only free afternoon we'll stroll South Congress and maybe get pizza down there.

Anyone want to try change my mind on any of the above feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin