Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:22 PM

99 posts, read 206,264 times

Advertisements

This rain was much needed but the intensity of the storm was a little too close for comfort..I live pretty close to the area in NE Austin where they suspected a tornado might have touched down. I'll have to wait till I get home to make sure everything is okay. A house in the next neighborhood over lost its roof and another lost its fence as well. Fortunately it seems like those office buildings were the only real major damages, and no fatalities reported
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,786,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florinator View Post
Whoa, everything is bigger in Texas... including the storms! :-)

I woke up twice last night, even though I am a heavy sleeper, the first time around 2:30 AM. The house was shaking from the thunder, I could clearly hear the windows vibrating from the thunder. I was amazed. The frequent lightning made the backyard and the neighboring house look like they were all part of some massive laser show. I actually got some videos.

I only moved here about 3 months ago, but I don't remember seeing anything like this in the past, say, 20 years or so :-) It was quite intense... Do we get a lot of these? :-)
There's a saying in Texas:

"When it rains in Texas it never stops. When it stops it never rains."

That describes both the yearly and seasonal boom/bust cycle of rain/drought.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,025,147 times
We got woke up around 4 a.m. with a transformer blowing up in our backyard. Lightening hit it and our power went out for an hour and half. Half the street had power and half didn't. I called it in to the city and about an hour later a crew came out. I thought it was a pretty good response time considering all the power outages in the city.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,063,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV View Post
Grasshopper, is that a foot of water from last night only?
It is from the 24 hour period, so it would include the rain we had yesterday morning, too.

And OK, I have to admit that my first statement was a bit of an exaggeration. I just went out and measured, and the buckets are at about 6 inches. I guess I was excited about the rain. But they are flared at the top, so they are not a accurate. I bought a rain guage last week, but hadn't put it up. I guess I need to do that one of these days.

I'm sorry that some people had property damage. The thought crossed my mind last night that the storm was so intense, that flooding in some places was certainly a possibility. We moved into our house in April, and this was the first really intense night of rain since then, so I got up during the night and checked things to see that the house was doing OK (it was.) We had one clap of thunder that had me flying about a foot off my bed! It was really loud. It made me wonder if something close by had been hit by lightning, but I have heard no report of that.

Last edited by G Grasshopper; 01-25-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,514,276 times
This is an interesting gallery of pictures chronicalling the flooding history of Austin. The 2001 pictures show flooding on Lamar that was between 6th and 12th streets. It was astounding. I had a friend who worked downtown near there and her car was floating. Crazy.

Austin

Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 PM

643 posts, read 1,149,694 times
Thanks, Grasshopper. That's still quite a bit of rain.

The Statesman has an article (blog) about the tornado that touched down last night. I am hoping this isn't common.
Update on damage from tornado in Northeast Austin

Old 01-25-2012, 07:53 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,150,284 times
Looks like more rain headed our way tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin