Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:25 PM

41 posts, read 183,024 times

Advertisements

I'll be having to get my Texas Drivers Licence along with registering my car here in Texas next month. I already have insurance here, but still have my out of state drivers license, and haven't been able to pass inspection due to the fact that I drive a retired police car that never had a horn and has tinted windows past regulation.

Besides my car inspection, what exactly do I need to do? Where should I go, I live in Bouldin, and what documents will be needed? I have my s.s. card, but I have no idea where my birth certificate is...

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 05:35 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinEdge View Post
I'll be having to get my Texas Drivers Licence along with registering my car here in Texas next month. I already have insurance here, but still have my out of state drivers license, and haven't been able to pass inspection due to the fact that I drive a retired police car that never had a horn and has tinted windows past regulation.

Besides my car inspection, what exactly do I need to do? Where should I go, I live in Bouldin, and what documents will be needed? I have my s.s. card, but I have no idea where my birth certificate is...

Thanks guys!
Here you go

TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Your out of state license is valid for 90 days.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
Here you go

TxDPS - Moving to Texas

Your out of state license is valid for 90 days.
However, the vehicle registration is a whole 'nuther thang . From the DMV site:
New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:
New residents must have their vehicles pass inspection before having it registered and titled. After having it inspected, owners should take the following to their county tax office:
  • inspection certification,
  • proof of liability insurance,
  • the vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old,
  • ownership document, which may be:
    • an original out-of-state title,
    • proof of registration (for non-title state),
    • current foreign/military ownership document, or
    • foreign evidence of ownership
  • completed Form 130-U (if applying for registration only, without a Texas title, please attach a completed Form VTR-272), and
  • the following fees:
    • registration fee,
    • title application fee of $28 or $33, depending on the county, and
    • new resident tax of $90 or proof of sales tax payment
Additional fees may also be due at the time of registration. For more information, contact your county tax office. For information about the new resident tax, contact the Comptroller of Public Accounts.
Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and non-resident, full-time students attending a Texas college or university are not required to title or register their vehicles in Texas.

You'll want to get your vehicle squared away before you hit DPS for your license.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:

Thanks guys!
One of the stupidest things I have seen so far is that in order to get your driver's license you need to present proof of TX vehicle registration. What if I don't have a car, I can't get the driver's license??

OD

Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
Do you have power windows if so here is a trick to pass with illegal tint. Roll down front windows then pull fuse. Windows not able to roll up is not a criteria to fail inspection. cops can still pull you over and ticket you later though its somewhat rare here.

For your horn visit a junkyard. There is certainly an old crown vic or caprice or whatever in a junkyard.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM

100 posts, read 258,440 times
ugh. i've been putting this off for so long. mostly because of all of the steps for getting the car registered in tx.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:35 AM

41 posts, read 183,024 times
You guys are awesome. So, believe it or not, I tried pulling out every fuse and my windows would still roll down and up! I cant figure it out!

But I bought a horn for $15.99 at autozone, had another inspection place install it for $40.00, they told me that my headlights were foggy and it would be another $20 to fix, BUT SAID MY WINDOW TINT PASSED!

so I gladly handed over the $90.00 and got my inspection!

now i'm waiting until feb 12th to get it registered because i have to send away for my birth certificate to get my license, and dont know how long that will take me, and i want the registration of my car and getting my d.l. to be as close together as possible.

P.S. New austin arrivals be prepared for a $90 new resident fee while registering your car. I look at it this way, it's the least i can do.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,739 times
Quote:
P.S. New austin arrivals be prepared for a $90 new resident fee while registering your car. I look at it this way, it's the least i can do.
That's in lieu of sales tax. I'll take that

Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_down View Post
That's in lieu of sales tax. I'll take that
Sales tax on what?

The $90 is pure robbery.

OD

Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Sales tax on what?

The $90 is pure robbery.

OD
Not really. The majority of the reg. fees goes to road building and maintenance. If it didn't exist the state would have to raise the gas tax to compensate. The inspection is what it is to ensure the public safety and environmental health (the emissions portion of the test) and probably works out to about a dollar a minute of a professional mechanic's time which ain't bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: