Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Costco carries Einstein Brothers bagels at very low prices. They're pretty good but not the same as a real New York bagel.

I'll take bagels any day over breakfast tacos. I've lived in Texas most of my life and still find breakfast tacos kind of weird.
You know there are many more calories in that bagel than the breakfast tacos? Empty carbs versus protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
Can anyone answer my question about Lox? What is it exactly? I willingly take whatever they give me in NYC and love it. Is the stuff in the cases at Central Market considered Lox? I'm just wondering if smoked salmon is the same as lox, and when I look at the offerings at CM.........what do I choose?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Can anyone answer my question about Lox? What is it exactly? I willingly take whatever they give me in NYC and love it. Is the stuff in the cases at Central Market considered Lox? I'm just wondering if smoked salmon is the same as lox, and when I look at the offerings at CM.........what do I choose?
I believe it's the same as smoked salmon. You want to avoid any flavored kind, you want plain cold smoked salmon. You can find it in 4oz packages and it's most stores carry the Nova brand.

That + bagels + cream cheese is Lox and Bagels.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I believe it's the same as smoked salmon. You want to avoid any flavored kind, you want plain cold smoked salmon. You can find it in 4oz packages and it's most stores carry the Nova brand.

That + bagels + cream cheese is Lox and Bagels.
I'm referring to the different choices in the cases (deli counters) at CM.....NOT the prepackaged stuff. There's Nova, but then there are two or three other choices. Do they all qualify as Lox?

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me because it ALL tastes great, but I was just wonderin'........esp. from our Northeastern folks.

Basically........what it comes down to is which of the salmon do I choose? Guess I need to ask the Deli counter people?

Last edited by N. Olikee; 01-27-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 AM

355 posts, read 923,062 times
And up north, they miss breakfast tacos. From this week's New York magazine: Güeros Brooklyn and Whirlybird -- New York Magazine Underground Gourmet Review

Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
I'm having the same problem since my move to Delaware. My recommendation is to call H and H bagel in New York City, they will Fedex bagels to you. They have quite a few locations so you won't have any problems finding one. I'm not sure about the Lox, it's much too salty for my liking although I sure could go for some white fish, LOL.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmatbert View Post
I think Wholey Bagel on William Cannon is good for bagels, but I haven't had a true NY bagel in a long long time. The owner is from NJ I think, and there always seem to be a few East Coast transplants there when I go by. Don't know about the lox though. The bagels are hard on the outside and chewy on the inside.
I just noticed this Impact News article about the new Wholy Bagel shop in South Austin.

Quote:
Wholy Bagel - impactnews.com Thanks to Wholy Bagel, Austinites can have a delicious taste of New York while staying close to home. Everything from the bagel recipe to the drink selection at Wholy Bagel is rooted in New York, where bagels are revered the way barbecue is in Texas.

Wholy Bagel is one of only a handful of bagel stores in the nation that uses a 100-year-old-plus bagel recipe that originally came from a person who moved from Israel to Harlem, Campanozzi said. The bagel-making process Wholy Bagel uses includes making fresh dough daily, boiling the dough the next day, baking the bagels in an oven and flipping them.

Wholy Bagel, 4404 W. William Cannon Drive, Ste. P, 899-0200
Hours:
  • Mon.–Fri. 6 a.m.–3 p.m.,
  • Sat.–Sun. 7 a.m.–2 p.m.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
From the wiki

Quote:
Lox is salmon fillet that has been cured. In its most popular form, it is thinly sliced—less than 5 millimetres (0.20 in) in thickness—and, typically, served on a bagel, often with cream cheese, onion, tomato, cucumber and capers. Lox in small pieces is also often added and cooked into scrambled eggs, sometimes with chopped onion.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
From the wiki
OK......I do know what lox is, I just don't know what to choose when I'm at Central Market in their deli area. So, basically, I didn't explain that, but that's what I'm after.

Went to Wholy Bagel recently, and they're good, but I'm curious as to how they are different? Maybe it's because I moved from an area that had more bagel options, and that's what people are complaining about?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM

499 posts, read 1,306,147 times
Does anyone know of some good low-sodium smoked wild salmon available around town? I like Whole Foods' Whole Catch Smoked Sockeye--runs around $12/8oz--but it's a bit salty for me, especially coupled with cream cheese or goat cheese. I think it's 630mg/2oz. Any other non-outrageously-expensive lower sodium varieties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin