Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM

56 posts, read 234,381 times

Advertisements

There is a home for sale in our neighborhood that is listed at 350 sq foot more than it actually is. I know this because we have the exact home. We even walked their home while it was being built, and it is identical in all aspects to ours. It appears that they used the value that is on their tax records instead of the actual value provided by the builder.

I am sure this is an honest mistake, however I'm concerned that this bad data will affect home appraisal values in our neighborhood. We are planning on listing our home in the next few months, and this discrepancy will show a price / sq foot that is much less than it should be. There are only 3 homes for sale in our neighborhood, so this will certainly be used as a comp.

Are my concerns warranted? If we mention this discrepancy to the owner or their agent, would they be obligated to take a second look at their square footage? Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
I don't think anyone really cares what is correct anymore. I wondered the same thing last year with the tax appraisals - I mentioned to the tax assessor that another home in our same neighborhood (with whom we're friends, and who built the EXACT same house just a few months after we did) was listed as being smaller, and thus, appraised less. His response was that "NO house is exactly the same size, regardless of if it is supposed to be the same size." Period. I don't understand it, but I'm starting to see that nobody cares about accuracy.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:21 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Maybe they're just including the garage space?

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 AM

40 posts, read 85,298 times
I don't know if this could be the case, but our house is larger than most identical floor plans because previous owners turned abundant 2nd floor, walk-in attic space into a finished room. We added a window, turning it from climate-controlled "texas basement" into real living space.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:29 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
350 feet is 20x17.5, so probably a little small for a garage. It is possible that someone included an add on porch, even though it is not enclose and/or ACed.

Btw, I would pay no attention to what the tax appraiser says, they are so used to double-speak, they don't even know what they mean anymore.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is possible that someone included an add on porch, even though it is not enclose and/or ACed.
We thought this might be the case, so we went to the open house this past weekend. There have been no modifications to the original floor plan. The house is still identical to ours.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:38 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
As long as the owner and the real estate agent give the source of the sq footage (in this case, TCAD), they are in the clear (nothing unethical going on).

The bigger issue is that there is not a single, established way of establishing sq footage. Builders can do it one one, bank appraisals do it another way. How do you count stairs, closets, wall thickness, conditioned space, etc. the list goes on and on. (search the threads, this has been well-discussed here.)

Price per sq foot is better used as a rough guide to neighborhoods not house to house comparison. People buy a house in total, not like meat at the butcher. Builders figures are also not always perfectly reliable.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
As long as the owner and the real estate agent give the source of the sq footage (in this case, TCAD), they are in the clear (nothing unethical going on).
Where would they provide this information? It's not shown in the MLS listing from what I can tell.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinHodge View Post
Where would they provide this information? It's not shown in the MLS listing from what I can tell.
Yes, it is on the MLS listing. Next to the number, it says the source. It will say something like 3570/Tax Record or 4000/Builder or something like that. It always has a number with a slash and then the source. If it says "per owner", you've always got an issue. You want to always either see Tax Record or Appraisal as the source. Nothing else is really "documented", just guesses.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:04 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinHodge View Post
It should be in the MLS listing, the sq footage and the source of the number. Most real estate agents prefer to use the TCAD number over the builder's number because it is easily available to verify.

Certainly, it would be on the disclosure sheets distributed to people making an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: