U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM

974 posts, read 1,068,130 times
Default Used the MetroRail and connector bus yesterday...

I had to be downtown at the Clements state office building yesterday and since I didn't want to fight the traffic the whole way and certainly didn't want to be late because of it, I decided to ride the MetroRail from Lakeline. I've ridden it before but always straight to the Convention Center, which was very convenient.

Well, yesterday we rode it from Lakeline to MLK Station, then used the connector bus 464 (waiting right there at the station) to drop us off two blocks from our destination at the Clements building. It was excellent and right on time. It made me wish my job was there all the time so I could use that mode of transportation every single day. The amazing thing was that from the time I got in my car for the 5 minute drive to Lakeline Station to the time I got home, I didn't call one single person a nasty name, which happens multiple times a day when I'm driving my car in traffic!

So I really, really, really wish Austin would continue to pursue expansion of the train schedules and tracks somehow. It could be such a benefit to people if done correctly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM

769 posts, read 811,685 times
Thanks for sharing! I agree with you. If expansion occurred, I'd actually consider a job downtown. My husband has to contend with the horrendous traffic from Round Rock to downtown everyday, and I feel for him.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:42 AM

35 posts, read 29,585 times
I think there are two major problems with the metro rail: operating hours and park and rides.

MLK Station has a huge area in front of it with no development. Why wouldn't they make that into a parking lot for people to ride the train? This would be a great remote parking lot for downtown events.

Speaking of functional use of the train, they shouldn't stop running at 6pm. They should be open until at least 12am.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:00 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,927,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
I think there are two major problems with the metro rail: operating hours and park and rides.

MLK Station has a huge area in front of it with no development. Why wouldn't they make that into a parking lot for people to ride the train? This would be a great remote parking lot for downtown events.

Speaking of functional use of the train, they shouldn't stop running at 6pm. They should be open until at least 12am.
They dont have funding to add more runs. But when they do get the funding I think they should do weekend evening runs instead.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,176,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
I had to be downtown at the Clements state office building yesterday and since I didn't want to fight the traffic the whole way and certainly didn't want to be late because of it, I decided to ride the MetroRail from Lakeline. I've ridden it before but always straight to the Convention Center, which was very convenient.

Well, yesterday we rode it from Lakeline to MLK Station, then used the connector bus 464 (waiting right there at the station) to drop us off two blocks from our destination at the Clements building. It was excellent and right on time. It made me wish my job was there all the time so I could use that mode of transportation every single day. The amazing thing was that from the time I got in my car for the 5 minute drive to Lakeline Station to the time I got home, I didn't call one single person a nasty name, which happens multiple times a day when I'm driving my car in traffic!

So I really, really, really wish Austin would continue to pursue expansion of the train schedules and tracks somehow. It could be such a benefit to people if done correctly.
I'm curious, how high was the ridership during your trip? Did it seem full, and were you traveling at peak hours? I haven't been able to find any recent info on MetroRail ridership numbers since early 2011, when it was increasing but still pretty low.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 AM

35 posts, read 29,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
They dont have funding to add more runs. But when they do get the funding I think they should do weekend evening runs instead.
I agree. They should also consider special event runs.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I'm curious, how high was the ridership during your trip? Did it seem full, and were you traveling at peak hours? I haven't been able to find any recent info on MetroRail ridership numbers since early 2011, when it was increasing but still pretty low.
Good question - we got on at Lakeline at 7:25am and it was PACKED! My colleague and I couldn't even sit together, and by the time we got to MLK there were people having to stand.

Coming back, it wasn't quite as crowded but we got on at Highland at 4:02, so it was a bit before the rush hour crowd.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM

469 posts, read 400,062 times
What are ridership numbers like?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
What are ridership numbers like?
See my response to the same question above.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM

11,376 posts, read 8,996,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
1) They have to walk before they can run. The highest demand is for commuting, so that's what they need to get into the black before they can consider schedule expansion.

2) They do not have 24 hour access to the tracks. Nights the tracks are used for freight trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin