Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 AM

176 posts, read 357,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Does anyone know it this is due to the huge investment Austin Electric made in solar panels a year or two ago?

I think they spend $200 million or so, and the cost of solar panel electricity is about 4 times higher than coal or gas generated electricity.

So why are our rates skyrocketing?
To pay for Mr. Weis steak and lobster dinners at Trulucks. Austin "Give us your rich, and yuppie" well send you our poor, low income, and disabled. But knucle heads voted to keep the status quo in office, go figure.

CEO of Austin Energy Weis makes almost $300,000 a year employed by Joe Taxpayer. Banning plastic bags and spending several thousands of dollars was more of a priority. Go to city hall every chance you get, and blast them on wasteful spending, we need more people. Also advocate for the needy, and disabled. A persons voice is powerful when a flock of many show up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 509 times
Love how they added a transporation fee to repair roads. So where are my property taxes going? Seems like double dipping.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:28 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMD View Post
Love how they added a transporation fee to repair roads. So where are my property taxes going? Seems like double dipping.
That pales in comparison to the 20% tax increase to pay for the proposed new rail system.

Old 09-29-2020, 08:36 AM

150 posts, read 133,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is partly because they haven't really got up at all for many years. Austin has some of the cheapest electricity in the state.

Also, environmental regulation and the resulting changes/controls have to be paid for, and regardless of whether you are for or against any particular rule, they all cost considerable money.

Uhh, wrong.
If you do the math with Austin Energy, it comes out to $0.12-$0.13 per kWh (assuming a typical 2,000kWh month for a single family home)

Right now, open market Texas electricity rates for renewals (not new customers) can be had anywhere from around $0.095-$0.105, and that's on 12-24 month contracts, even cheaper if you select a shorter contract term; and even lower for "new" customers.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterdark80 View Post
Uhh, wrong.
If you do the math with Austin Energy, it comes out to $0.12-$0.13 per kWh (assuming a typical 2,000kWh month for a single family home)

Right now, open market Texas electricity rates for renewals (not new customers) can be had anywhere from around $0.095-$0.105, and that's on 12-24 month contracts, even cheaper if you select a shorter contract term; and even lower for "new" customers.
The 'typical' Austin SFH is WAY below 2,000 kWh, and with the tiered structure, the effective rate is much lower. And while I know it is temporary, they have 'waived' the 1,000 kWh+ tier and hold it the same regardless of use during the current pandemic.

People that are on the open market end up paying more (per kWh) if they conserve electricity; so, yeah, if you spend a lot of money using electricity, you save per kwh, but you do not save overall.

Edit: I put our average usage (just under 1,000 kwh/mo for a 2400 sf house) in to 'powertochoose' and got this warning:
Quote:
Many plans require you to use a minimum amount of electricity each month. If you use less than the minimum amount, you will automatically be charged a fee, sometimes called a "minimum usage charge." This fee may or may not be listed separately on your monthly bill, so it is important to check the electricity facts label for your plan.
Anyway, my average $/kWh was just under $0.11/kWh after taxes and all fees. The PTC does not include taxes and may (hard to know) not include some other fees. I don't have to shop for new plans to keep that rate, worry about fixed, variable, or market. AE kicked in $500 to upgrade my AC and gave me $50 to come haul away my old AC. If I want solar, they will also kick in a couple grand to offset the expense. So, yeah, I probably pay a (very few) extra dollars a month to avoid having to shop providers and worry about not using enough electricity and getting a penalty.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-29-2020 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 AM

Here is a snap-shot of the cost for the non-deregulated energy providers in the area for a home using 915 kWh/month (what we used on average for some year, I forget which). Difficult to compare to deregulated, as there are structural idiosyncrasies with most of those and way too many to deal with them. Using an average is not perfect since it is tiered, but is pretty close for anything that doesn't spike too high above ~1,500 kWh.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin elec rates going up fast - why?-capture.jpg  

Old 09-29-2020, 01:03 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
The 'typical' Austin SFH is WAY below 2,000 kWh, and with the tiered structure, the effective rate is much lower. And while I know it is temporary, they have 'waived' the 1,000 kWh+ tier and hold it the same regardless of use during the current pandemic.

People that are on the open market end up paying more (per kWh) if they conserve electricity; so, yeah, if you spend a lot of money using electricity, you save per kwh, but you do not save overall.

Edit: I put our average usage (just under 1,000 kwh/mo for a 2400 sf house) in to 'powertochoose' and got this warning:

Anyway, my average $/kWh was just under $0.11/kWh after taxes and all fees. The PTC does not include taxes and may (hard to know) not include some other fees. I don't have to shop for new plans to keep that rate, worry about fixed, variable, or market. AE kicked in $500 to upgrade my AC and gave me $50 to come haul away my old AC. If I want solar, they will also kick in a couple grand to offset the expense. So, yeah, I probably pay a (very few) extra dollars a month to avoid having to shop providers and worry about not using enough electricity and getting a penalty.
Our usage is way higher than 2,000 kWh. We have LED lighting, big trees, and some energy saver appliances but the home was built in 89, code didn't really consider energy conservation. Plus we have a pool. No offense but how would you know that a typical Austin SFH is way below 2k kwh? is there some magical thing in Austin that caps usage at 2k?

Old 09-29-2020, 02:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Our usage is way higher than 2,000 kWh. We have LED lighting, big trees, and some energy saver appliances but the home was built in 89, code didn't really consider energy conservation. Plus we have a pool. No offense but how would you know that a typical Austin SFH is way below 2k kwh? is there some magical thing in Austin that caps usage at 2k?
My maximum usage so far this year for a 2.349 sf, 1989 house has been 1,277kwh or $134. Not much shade on the roof and only partial LED lighting. Granted I have added substantial insulation to the attic and solar exhaust fan and paid for a high efficiency HVAC system.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Austin Energy has published the average usage before. I would have to go find it again, but yes, of course there are houses that use more (and use less). A the time they were touting their energy efficiency programs that have been in place for a long, long time and had resulted in the 'average' home on AustinEnergy's grid being notable more efficient than homes that were on the deregulated grid.

Edit: Attached the latest data on average kWh per residential customer.

As an aside, you would NEVER get such information from a publicly traded company

If you live in the AE service area, they have programs with financial subsidies for improving energy efficiency. We have not down the whole-house audit or anything, but their rebate on an upgraded high-efficiency AC unit was not inconsequential.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin elec rates going up fast - why?-capture1.png  

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-29-2020 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-29-2020, 02:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
My maximum usage so far this year for a 2.349 sf, 1989 house has been 1,277kwh or $134. Not much shade on the roof and only partial LED lighting. Granted I have added substantial insulation to the attic and solar exhaust fan and paid for a high efficiency HVAC system.
We haven't added any insulation and our HVAC systems are 14 seer I think...

Differences are our home is 3700 sq ft, four people in the house now full time, plus a pool. The pool consumes quite a bit of power.

Despite that, our highest bill was 325 bucks this summer.

Quote:
Austin Energy has published the average usage before. I would have to go find it again, but yes, of course there are houses that use more (and use less). A the time they were touting their energy efficiency programs that have been in place for a long, long time and had resulted in the 'average' home on AustinEnergy's grid being notable more efficient than homes that were on the deregulated grid.

Edit: Attached the latest data on average kWh per residential customer.

As an aside, you would NEVER get such information from a publicly traded company

If you live in the AE service area, they have programs with financial subsidies for improving energy efficiency. We have not down the whole-house audit or anything, but their rebate on an upgraded high-efficiency AC unit was not inconsequential.
Oh ok. Well I live in a deregulated city, we change our providers every year or 18 months, but the biggest part of the bill is the delivery service ONCOR. AE doesn't use or have any need for ONCOR, so maybe it is less. I still don't understand why usage would be so low. Actually what spikes our bills isn't usage but delivery charges. The delivery charges can eclipse the amount for usage. I've learned that using less doesn't translate into smaller bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin