Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:36 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Actually, that is not quite true.

Texans are allowed to use deadly force to protect property, and shooting a person in the back doesn't guarantee anything eexcept a closer investigation.
You're right, he may still get off the hook, but what was said about lawyer's fees is correct. Financially he will be taking a big hit, regardless of what the final verdict is.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:39 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit2 View Post
Very likely so. The article says the police confirmed that the victim was shot outside of the home and also the neighbors heard 3 bangs.

According to the Castle Doctrine, the intruder should've threatened an entry to the residence and the owner should've believed it could've caused a serious body hard to the occupants. I looked at the slides, and the sidewalk is far from the houses, separated by a fence and a road, and no private fences. The only threatening scenario I see to shot the guy 3 times outside of the house, is him persistently trying to break in or climbing the wall to the second story. If he was just walking there, or tried to get in but gave up and ran away then it's a murder.

The homeowner yet has to prove there was an attempt of intrusion (such as window broken) and there was a threat of bodily harm (such as the intruder screaming "I will kill you"), and that the intruder wouldn't stop after the first shot.
I don't see any of the "should've"'s that you cite described in Texas law. 80(R) SB 378 - Enrolled version - Bill Text In fact Texas allows the use of deadly force to prevent the "imminent commission" of many crimes.

Quote:
(A) to protect the actor [himself] against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful deadly force; or
(B) to prevent the other's imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, sexual assault, aggravated sexual assault, robbery, or aggravated robbery.
You are wrong about the sidewalk. If you look at the photos more closely you will see that there is a second road and sidewalk in front of the house, inside of the iron fence. The front yards of the houses are very small, the sidewalks are very close to the front doors.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
All of this talk over whether a shooting is justified seems moot if the victim was running away from Mr. Yazdi. The victim was killed in cold blood. Sad and senseless.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You first
HAHAHA!

I hope you saw the humor in that post. Sometimes this flat screen doesn't get it across.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
All of this talk over whether a shooting is justified seems moot if the victim was running away from Mr. Yazdi. The victim was killed in cold blood. Sad and senseless.
Yep.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
The old "shooting him in the back will get you hung" is a fantasy of western folklore. Everything in a case like this has to do with the perceived intent of the intruder. Where the person is shot is not going to change anything.

In this case, it does appear that the shooter is in some serious hot water.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The old "shooting him in the back will get you hung" is a fantasy of western folklore.
No, not so. Perhaps the saying should be "can get you hung" to be more accurate, but the principle is the same. If someone is running away from your residence and you shoot them in the back, your actions pretty strongly argue against your "perception" of being in imminent danger of personal harm.

I've heard three different attorneys discuss this on television news today, and they all said the same thing. Castle Doctrine does not give you a pass... you still have to behave responsibly.

[/quote]

Old 02-04-2012, 01:36 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
I know this guy, the accused. Let's just say I'm not surprised he didn't choose a more diplomatic route but I hope this doesn't ruin his life. I also feel for the family of the victim.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Whole story is weird (and tragic).

Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Whole story is weird (and tragic).
But sadly not surprising. for those that have met or know the shooter. Check the comments on the story. It's full of people who knew the guy and were terrorized by him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin