Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times

Advertisements

City set to pay for weekend MetroRail service

MetroRail, currently only a Monday-through-Friday operation with some scattered weekend runs, would run Friday nights and Saturdays year-round under a pending agreement between the City of Austin and Capital Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
The "drunk train" will enhance downtown, North and East Austin's access to NW suburbanites as well as give Austin businesses a big sales boost as NW Austin and WilCo populations get used to taking the Saturday daytime and Friday and Saturday late night trains as a 'safe, sober option' alternative and far less expensive way to travel vs. cars or taxis. Hopefully, the expanded hours will be such a success, the city and Capital Metro will expand the hours further to 2 to (preferably) 3AM to make it even more convenient for suburbanites to have a full, downtown/ central city experience and get even more cars (and drunk drivers) off the highways.

Remember, the city of Austin is funding the investment in the hopes of increased suburban traffic into the center city to aid local commerce. (The city will take a monetary hit [loss] at first.) However, the result of the pilot program should be gradually increased MetroRail commuter ridership during the week. I'm willing to bet those new suburban MetroRail riders will also be surprised how quiet the trains generally run!

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 02-08-2012 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
I would have been satisfied if they paid for it during events, sxsw, acl, atx film festival, etc. I wonder if the new parking policy is starting to hurt. I know I actively choose not to go downtown so I don't have to add an extra $5 to $10 to my night to park. Too many great places with elsewhere in town with free parking.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
I would have been satisfied if they paid for it during events, sxsw, acl, atx film festival, etc. I wonder if the new parking policy is starting to hurt. I know I actively choose not to go downtown so I don't have to add an extra $5 to $10 to my night to park. Too many great places with elsewhere in town with free parking.
the train is still going to cost 2.75 each way so for two people that is $10

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
When you consider the cost of parking Downtown, $10 is not a bad price to pay for the Metrorail.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
I would absolutely ride the train vs trying to drive downtown and park in a lot. I've been wanting this to happen since they first got the metrorail up and running.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,093,862 times
Thanks for posting this! Excited!!

I remember when the Metrorail system was first rolled out, my husband and I took our 3 year old downtown for lunch one weekend, and we decided at the last minute to try out the new rail system. We saw a couple other people purchase tickets and wait on the platform, so we followed suit. We waited...and waited...and waited....no train. LOL. There was nothing clearly posted about no weekend service...so we wasted our time and money.

I was disgruntled and told myself I don't want to patronize the system. (yes, I'm a hothead)

But that was last year...I'm over it now, and I'm back to being excited about the prospect of going downtown via Metrorail!

Old 02-08-2012, 11:10 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,167 times
Finally. I'm excited to take my kids on it.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Actually, $2.75 x 4 = $11

Nevermind the parking, that's less than the fully burdened cost of driving.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
The "drunk train" will enhance downtown, North and East Austin's access to NW suburbanites as well as give Austin businesses a big sales boost as NW Austin and WilCo populations get used to taking the Saturday daytime and Friday and Saturday late night trains as a 'safe, sober option' alternative and far less expensive way to travel vs. cars or taxis. Hopefully, the expanded hours will be such a success, the city and Capital Metro will expand the hours further to 2 to (preferably) 3AM to make it even more convenient for suburbanites to have a full, downtown/ central city experience and get even more cars (and drunk drivers) off the highways.

Remember, the city of Austin is funding the investment in the hopes of increased suburban traffic into the center city to aid local commerce. (The city will take a monetary hit [loss] at first.) However, the result of the pilot program should be gradually increased MetroRail commuter ridership during the week. I'm willing to bet those new suburban MetroRail riders will also be surprised how quiet the trains generally run!
My problem with this is that it WON'T get drunk drivers off the road. Off of 35, yes, but not other roads. There are no stations East of 35 and not further North than Cedar Park/Leander, so all those people would have to drive from other points to the station, ride the train drunk, get in their cars and then drive drunk to get home. Not much safer in my opinion. I Can't wait until we get stations on this side of 35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin