U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,437,918 times

Advertisements

Any employment managers or others who check degree verification ever use TexasExes.org? As an alum, one can log on and search other alums.

I logged on and was trying to verify a degree on someone. They list a degree from UT on their resume but no graduation year so I got suspicious. I am not getting a result when doing a search for their name on the website. I checked other names of people I know who graduated and it pulled them up fine. Wondering if there's a glitch with the search, I'm doing something wrong, or maybe this person in fact did not graduate from there even if their resume says so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

363 posts, read 623,750 times
I believe that, like most alumni organizations, this is a for pay service. If you pay to be a member of the alumni association, you'll be published here.

The lack of name on TexasExes.org may indicate that they are not a paying alumnus.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

248 posts, read 275,741 times
Might be a glitch, but I'm betting you can always call UT to verify.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSpartan View Post
I believe that, like most alumni organizations, this is a for pay service. If you pay to be a member of the alumni association, you'll be published here.

The lack of name on TexasExes.org may indicate that they are not a paying alumnus.
Well I believe all the depts at UT give you a free year as a gift when you graduate so if you graduate, you should be on there.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM

3,742 posts, read 5,464,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Any employment managers or others who check degree verification ever use TexasExes.org? As an alum, one can log on and search other alums.

I logged on and was trying to verify a degree on someone. They list a degree from UT on their resume but no graduation year so I got suspicious. I am not getting a result when doing a search for their name on the website. I checked other names of people I know who graduated and it pulled them up fine. Wondering if there's a glitch with the search, I'm doing something wrong, or maybe this person in fact did not graduate from there even if their resume says so....
I wouldn't necessarily rely on an Alum website. Neither my husband nor I can be found on our alumni website because we opted out of it for privacy reasons. The only way you are going to be able to get an accurate answer is to call the transcript office or what ever office it is at UT that handles that stuff.

The reason that person might not have put a date on it is because he doesn't want to disclose his or her age. I have a friend in journalism that looks considerably younger than she is and didn't want to worry about age discrimination when she was searching for work. She left the graduation date off of her resume.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:06 PM

4,704 posts, read 6,991,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshdw View Post
Well I believe all the depts at UT give you a free year as a gift when you graduate so if you graduate, you should be on there.
HA! so NOT true!

The only way to get official information is to go to the official source! Call UT or ask the applicant to provide an official transcript

Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
HA! so NOT true!

The only way to get official information is to go to the official source! Call UT or ask the applicant to provide an official transcript
Sorry, maybe it's just in the recent years. Or which depts don't give it out?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM

5,101 posts, read 3,470,872 times
I'm an alumnus of UT and life member of the Texas Exes Association, but did not graduate from there. (see my username )

Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM

5,276 posts, read 3,437,918 times
I haven't been a paying member in years, but am still able to use the site. But, good point on privacy, though I am still a little suspicious. Will have to call a different office, sounds like.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM

34 posts, read 69,729 times
Have you not tried the registrar's site?

registrar.utexas.edu/students/degrees/verify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin