U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 PM

6 posts, read 5,315 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a prospective UT Austin PhD student who has been offered at least $25k a year in stipend (also fully paid tuition and other benefits). Austin is on my shortlist of places I might move to. I'm making the move with my fiancee. With my stipend and benefits, plus a pretty decent amount of rainy day money, meeting living expenses is of little concern. However, I'm concerned about job prospects for my fiancee. I'm hoping for some advice on the matter.

She is a certified teacher for teaching Spanish at all grade levels, and also teaching physics for secondary (middle and high school). I know that the job prospects for teaching in Texas are horrid, especially in Austin. However, I'm wondering if she may have luck finding another 'real job' (i.e. not at restaurants or retail) considering the skills she has. For one, she has extensive knowledge of Spanish. Not fluent, but she can communicate easily with Spanish speaking adults about most things not too technical. I hear this can help a lot down south, but maybe I'm wrong. She also does have previous teaching experience. This summer will have been her second summer teaching full time as a physics and Spanish teacher at a summer school for high school kids (not a summer camp, but an actual classroom at a well known private school). She also had done many odd jobs such as tutoring, subbing, and working part time at the university helping with demonstrations for physics lectures.

She is open to doing things outside of teaching too, so any advice on what she might be able to find would be appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 AM

4,658 posts, read 6,835,622 times
If she has private school experience, perhaps try subbing at various private schools. It is the best way to get into the applicant pool if there are openings.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM

41 posts, read 58,839 times
I might be mistaken but I believe any of the "sciences" are in high demand for employement. Its generalist and elementary level teachers that have over saturated the system. I don't think it would be impossible finding a job as a science teacher.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM

8,726 posts, read 17,956,568 times
Teachers certified for science at the secondary level will be much better off (albeit still not 'good') than most other categories. She might also look to teaching in some of the outlying areas (a bit of a commute...) such as Elgin, Bastrop, Del Valle, Kyle. Those school districts, in general, are not at the top of most people wish list, are difficult jobs, and may not pay the best, but it is a great way to get in-state teaching experience.

If you are open to potentially erratic income, tutoring can be somewhat lucrative for the hours you work. Is she qualified/capable of tutoring college students, as well? She might be able to have an 'in' with someone in the system .

Just out of curiosity, that is a pretty nice stipend...is it in the engineering dept?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Teachers certified for science at the secondary level will be much better off (albeit still not 'good') than most other categories. She might also look to teaching in some of the outlying areas (a bit of a commute...) such as Elgin, Bastrop, Del Valle, Kyle. Those school districts, in general, are not at the top of most people wish list, are difficult jobs, and may not pay the best, but it is a great way to get in-state teaching experience.

If you are open to potentially erratic income, tutoring can be somewhat lucrative for the hours you work. Is she qualified/capable of tutoring college students, as well? She might be able to have an 'in' with someone in the system .

Just out of curiosity, that is a pretty nice stipend...is it in the engineering dept?
Well it's good to hear that teaching science may still be a viable option in the Austin area. We will have at least one car so commuting may not be a problem. Although I don't really want either of us to have to spend much more than 30 minutes commuting, unless it's really not possible. I planned on using a combination of biking and riding the bus, so we would probably live within a reasonable distance of the UT campus. How is public transportation within the Austin city limits? I know Houston is terrible, but I'm hoping that somewhere a little more progressive like Austin might be better.

Are those school districts you listed more 'inner city', rural, or suburban? The summer school she teaches at is for impoverished students from Detroit and the surrounding area, so she has some experience there. But I know she would prefer teaching at a school where the kids are more likely to be better behaved and a little more motivated. I don't think she's closed to the idea of teaching in less affluent areas though, just as long as they aren't very dangerous.

As for tutoring she has experience tutoring intro physics college courses, college Spanish courses, and also high school math. She plans on doing odd jobs like this if she can't find a full time job beforehand.

My stipend is with the physics department. I don't actually know the exact details in terms of how much I'll have to TA, or if I'll have a fellowship, but that's about the figure they gave me. This is typical for physics programs at UT's level.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

8,726 posts, read 17,956,568 times
Quote:
Are those school districts you listed more 'inner city', rural, or suburban?
Suburban would be the best description, I guess, although all are free-standing districts (not part of the Austin system) and serve a more rural population. Schools in Texas are funded by property taxes, and many (although not all) outlying areas have lower property values and therefore tend to have lower funding levels (there are some reshuffling systems for money and there are tax rate variations, but that is a whole other topic).

None would be considered 'dangerous', I don't think, at least not more so than any other school. Manor would be closest to UT (didn't list that one earlier - that list is by no means exclusive), but all that I listed are on the east-side, which is generally more accessible to UT. Also, any commute would be opposite to rush hour traffic.

Within the city, and especially if UT is one of your travel nodes, you will have very little trouble with public transportation. The outlying areas are a bit difficult, and if you have to travel to some specific government office that is on the outskirts of town you will probably have to plan a bit. The UT system has a contract with Cap Metro that is pretty extensive and (I think) students ride all the buses either free or at a discount. You can get all of their routes here:
Schedules and Maps - Riding Capital Metro - Capital Metro Transit - Austin, TexasCapital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas (http://www.capmetro.org/riding/schedulesandmaps.asp - broken link)

And this is the UT shuttle system:
System-Wide Shuttle Route Map | Parking & Transportation Services (PTS) | The University of Texas at Austin (http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/austin-bus.html - broken link)

Be aware that it is damn how in the summer and some bus stops are just baking in the sun.

Guessing that you are a UM grad?

Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM

14,408 posts, read 20,729,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccragre View Post

Are those school districts you listed more 'inner city', rural, or suburban? The summer school she teaches at is for impoverished students from Detroit and the surrounding area, so she has some experience there. But I know she would prefer teaching at a school where the kids are more likely to be better behaved and a little more motivated. I don't think she's closed to the idea of teaching in less affluent areas though, just as long as they aren't very dangerous.
When it comes to listing Cities over 250,000 population for violent crime rates, Detroit is at the very top, most violent. And Austin is way down close to the bottom. Austin is however pretty high on property crime, but safe otherwise. I don't think any of the schools here are considered very dangerous.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM

It's good to hear there aren't any schools like the bad ones you would find in Detroit, Chicago, New York etc. I wasn't sure how "big city" Austin is. I know UT probably helps part of it be more of a college town, but Austin also has something like 700,000 people right? When I think of college town I think of Ann Arbor, which is only about 100,000 people. And yes I am a U of M grad. Go blue!

How is the apartment situation around the UT area? I wouldn't really want to live in the "student ghetto" area that accompanies most big universities. Probably just looking for a quieter one bedroom place. Is there anything say around $800-900 or cheaper? I hear prices are cheaper down there.

Also, how bad are the summers down there? Unfortunately, I'm used to being able to live without air conditioning the whole year, so I'm guessing it will take some getting used to. I'm guessing that part of Texas is at least drier than the Great Lakes portion of the Midwest in the summer. At least there's essentially no winter that far south!

Last edited by mccragre; 02-10-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 07:05 PM

443 posts, read 742,300 times
Even if she doesnt get a teaching position, she could get paid big dollas to tutor undergrads? Until she picked up a teaching position of course. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:35 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,242,812 times
Now, I can understand waiting to "transition" until you find a '10': a woman with a body, love, and money. But, you can always wait, find, then, "transition"..."fortune favors the bold", my friend, just putting it out there...(don't say haven't thought it!)

Your parents made you for a reason. They didn't invest in you, so you'd get bogged down in a lost cause and charity case. In today's America, only the strong survive. No one should come in the way of your destiny! The question should be..can this chick hang with me? She's rapidly reaching her premium!

C'mon, on down! She's an adult: if you're fiance comes here and falls on her face, it's her own fault!

(And yes, my mother's family is from eastside Detroit. Take it for what you will! Doing good here though..)

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 02-10-2012 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin