Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM

16 posts, read 74,306 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I am moving to Austin with my girlfriend next week. We will be living in an apartment in the Anderson Mill area, and my workplace is on S. Congress. I checked and that is a pretty lengthy commute, 18 miles or so. My working hours will be 2PM to 10PM. I wanted to look into using public transportation, and found that it would be a cheap and efficient option for me... but then realized that there would be no way to get back to the Anderson Mill area. I can take my car, but I feel like I will get destroyed on gas, traffic, and wear and tear. Anyone who has lived in Austin have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Not to be flippant, but why rent a place that far north instead of South Austin?
Lots of apartment complexes down there.

At least with the odd working hours, the traffic won't be bad for your commute.

I know nothing about the public bus transportation for those areas. Sorry.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
For those hours, your commute will be light. Even if public transportation was offered after 10:00 pm back to North Austin (not sure if it is), it would take forever and your 18 miles would only take 20 to 25 minutes at that time of night. A bus could easily take over an hour for that route unless it's some type of special Express bus (again doubtful).

Old 02-10-2012, 08:36 PM

44 posts, read 100,731 times
Yeah traffic won't be too bad at those hours at all. Friday at 2pm could be a little dense, but nothing too bad.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:13 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I'd check out options for driving part of the way and taking the bus part way, mostly because of the last leg home.

If I remember correctly, you can still get to the North end from S Congress that time of night (ie 1L), it's the Anderson Mill portion that's problematic late at night. North Lamar Transit Center, or Northcross TC are possible "park & ride" points to check out.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:22 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not to be flippant, but why rent a place that far north instead of South Austin?
Lots of apartment complexes down there.
That was my first thought, but it sounds like the girlfriend might already be in the place(and might work next door for all I know ).

If the girlfriend works 'normal' hours, getting home closer to midnight by taking public trans doesn't look good for 'quality of life'. Anything other than the 'express bus' mentioned would likely put you home pretty late. This is just one of the reasons so many folks choose personal transportation. Yep, you're into a couple of gallons of gas every day, parking at work(might be a challenge, depending) and other associated costs; but, you'll save all sorts of time.

Maybe the public trans will be an occasional option as might a carpool situation. Sounds like you'd be lucky to find either with that particular route and schedule. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2012, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 74,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
That was my first thought, but it sounds like the girlfriend might already be in the place(and might work next door for all I know ).

If the girlfriend works 'normal' hours, getting home closer to midnight by taking public trans doesn't look good for 'quality of life'. Anything other than the 'express bus' mentioned would likely put you home pretty late. This is just one of the reasons so many folks choose personal transportation. Yep, you're into a couple of gallons of gas every day, parking at work(might be a challenge, depending) and other associated costs; but, you'll save all sorts of time.

Maybe the public trans will be an occasional option as might a carpool situation. Sounds like you'd be lucky to find either with that particular route and schedule. Good luck!
Actually, you have that right on both accounts. She works very close to where the apt is and is already living there.

I asked this question on anotehr forum and got the same response, just suck it up and drive it, and that the traffic is very "peaky" and therefore wont be too bad for my hours.

Whats parking like? I work at 611 S Congress, right across the lake apparetly.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernovasky View Post
Wow, you got your job without actually ever being in Austin? That's unusual.

I'm curious, have you met your girlfriend yet?

Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernovasky View Post
It's pretty easy to pull up a Google Arial PhotoMap or Streetview of that address. Streetview shows that building has a wraparound parking lot. Of course, you should ask your employer what the deal is on that. Street parking in that immediate area is metered and heavily enforced.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:12 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Where are you working? Many workplaces have designated parking for their employees.

I agree with the suck it up and drive sentiment. The public transportation system here sucks. You could probably walk to work faster than the bus would get you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin