Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:38 PM

80 posts, read 163,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The Hornsby Bend treatment plant is directly NE of the Airport. You are not likely to smell it from a 10 minute drive away. You will also still be a long ways from Bastrop where the fires were. There is also a County Jail directly East of the airport, but again you will be a fairly good distance away from that. The areas East of the airport are mostly farm land with a few small subdivisions sprinkled in.

I don't have kids so don't pay a lot of attention to which schools are the best. The closest school district is Del Valle, I do not believe it is considered one of the best.

I think the area is a good choice if you want to live in the country and have some acerage, but still be relatively close to Austin. When you get East of Austin much of the area has highly expansive clay soils, which can require a substantially well built foundation and drilled piers to resist foundation problems from soil movement. It might be worth contacting a geotechnical engineering company to find out what they would expect the soils to be like in that area. There are several listed here. Bastrop Geotechnical | Geotechnical in Bastrop, TX - YP.com I have worked with Holt in the past, they are a good company.
Thanks for the advise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
East austin has cheap land for a reason. The city first moved north and west and now is filling in the south. The east traditionally has been where light industrial, wastewater treatment and garbage dumps have gone in (along with farming). The new F1 track (circuit of the americas) is close by the airport and the first race is scheduled for november. The land is cheap, flat and the neighbors will generally be lower income.

The future of the east side is very unpredictable. With the construction of 130 and the gentrification of the area just east of I35 downtown, I predict the lower middle class will be pushed further east. The question is will they mostly settle east of 183 or will they go further out past 130.

What kind of environment are you looking for?
The land is just east of Hwy 130, about 1 1/2 miles from Hwy 71.
Just looking for good, quiet neighbors. Nothing out of the ordinary, really.
Like I mentioned before, we did see that there are homes in parcels of about 1-2 maybe 3 acres of land. We liked the fact that they are not bunched up. A bit of freedom and space to do as we wish.
We like the idea it's close to the airport and about 20-25 mins to everything else, including downtown Austin.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:04 PM

12,864 posts, read 13,166,814 times
Have you driven through that area to check out the neighborhoods?

The area you described is about 3-4 miles northeast of my property.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Have you driven through that area to check out the neighborhoods?

The area you described is about 3-4 miles northeast of my property.
I have only driven on Hwy 71 to Navarro Creek Rd., which is the street the piece of land we checked out, and back west towards the city.
Of course, we drove by the airport and on to I 35, as well as Hwy 111 towards the northside of Austin.
Are you planing on selling your property? If so, what is the size of it.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM

12,864 posts, read 13,166,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro9 View Post
I have only driven on Hwy 71 to Navarro Creek Rd., which is the street the piece of land we checked out, and back west towards the city.
Of course, we drove by the airport and on to I 35, as well as Hwy 111 towards the northside of Austin.
Are you planing on selling your property? If so, what is the size of it.
My 25 acre property with no trees (it's a hay field) is just a couple hundred yards west of the new COTA racetrack that is being built for the United States Grand Prix, so you would not be interested in that for a residence.

Also, the land values surrounding that development have gotten kind of crazy over the past year.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:36 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,324,308 times
What do you intend to use the land for? If it's residential, I will warn you that it's not the best area. No one likes to live in a flight path, and the schools are not very good. I don't foresee that changing anytime soon, so I don't know that it will be a great investment. The closer you are to Bastrop, though, the better.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
What do you intend to use the land for? If it's residential, I will warn you that it's not the best area. No one likes to live in a flight path, and the schools are not very good. I don't foresee that changing anytime soon, so I don't know that it will be a great investment. The closer you are to Bastrop, though, the better.
We considered closer to Bastrop, but decided it was too far a commute into the city for work.
Yes. We would build in the property to reside in it.
Unfortunately for us, it's what we can afford.
The piece of land is 14 acres for $114,000. I have looked around and can't find anything else that inexpensive.
Does anyone know of anyone selling at least 5 acres in a different area?
Thanks to all for their insight.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,324,308 times
Quote:
We considered closer to Bastrop, but decided it was too far a commute into the city for work.
Yes. We would build in the property to reside in it.
Unfortunately for us, it's what we can afford.
The piece of land is 14 acres for $114,000. I have looked around and can't find anything else that inexpensive.
Does anyone know of anyone selling at least 5 acres in a different area?
Thanks to all for their insight.
I understand. You just have to realize that there is a reason it is so inexpensive.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:13 AM

176 posts, read 348,914 times
Quote:
Hello everyone....
Does anyone have on opinion, know or live in the surrounding area of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport?
I am about to make an offer on a piece of land just east of the airport, but don't know the area at all.
At the moment, I reside in Chicago, IL but plan on moving to Austin in the near future, thus the purchase.
Any and all opinions or suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's crazy to buy land without coming down here and taking a look around yourself.

Why would you spend $100,000+ without spending $500 for airfare and 1-2 days of car / motel rental?

also, use Google Earth to look around.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df175 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it's crazy to buy land without coming down here and taking a look around yourself.

Why would you spend $100,000+ without spending $500 for airfare and 1-2 days of car / motel rental?

also, use Google Earth to look around.
I said I do not know the area. I did not say I did not come and visit.
It is impossible to learn about the area in a couple of days.
We asked the neighbors around the piece of land and they said it's a quiet area. It's just that I am trying to inform myself as much as I can, and learn through somebody else's point of view.
Thanks for the input , though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: