U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM

72 posts, read 76,584 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone....
Does anyone have on opinion, know or live in the surrounding area of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport?
I am about to make an offer on a piece of land just east of the airport, but don't know the area at all.
At the moment, I reside in Chicago, IL but plan on moving to Austin in the near future, thus the purchase.
Any and all opinions or suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,041 times
If it is off the highway going to Bastrop- That is a developing area. There will eventually be business all along that HWY . But it is woods, tall trees the farther you get from the airport. There are some car rental places along that highway and other business types like mobile homes, and car dealerships. Is it in a subdivision?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,492,248 times
Beware the smell.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoltG.564 View Post
If it is off the highway going to Bastrop- That is a developing area. There will eventually be business all along that HWY . But it is woods, tall trees the farther you get from the airport. There are some car rental places along that highway and other business types like mobile homes, and car dealerships. Is it in a subdivision?
It is about 10 mins from the airport going east and it is not a subdivision. A few homes in large lots (1 to 3 acrs maybe) along the main rd.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Beware the smell.
What smell??
Theirs or mine...???!!! I took a shower 2 weeks ago....!!
Just kiding......I hope......
But seriously, what smell?

Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM

5,033 posts, read 3,361,755 times
How close is the property to Bastrop, and which side of Highway 71 is it off of (& how far)? Much of the area around Bastrop burned up during the huge forest fire last year.

There is a sewage treatment plant next to the Colorado River northeast of the Garfield hamlet.

Inbound rush hour traffic on 71 is pretty bad in the AM, but that area has good access to the Texas 130 Tollway if you want to bypass Austin traffic to go north or south.

I own acreage a couple miles southeast of the airport, but do not live in the area.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
How close is the property to Bastrop, and which side of Highway 71 is it off of (& how far)? Much of the area around Bastrop burned up during the huge forest fire last year.

There is a sewage treatment plant next to the Colorado River northeast of the Garfield hamlet.

Inbound rush hour traffic on 71 is pretty bad in the AM, but that area has good access to the Texas 130 Tollway if you want to bypass Austin traffic to go north or south.

I own acreage a couple miles southeast of the airport, but do not live in the area.
It's less than 10 mins (5-7 mins) from the airport entrance heading east on 71. It is on the right hand side (south), about 1 1/2 miles off of Rt 71.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,492,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro9 View Post
What smell??
Theirs or mine...???!!! I took a shower 2 weeks ago....!!
Just kiding......I hope......
But seriously, what smell?
LOL, no sir, not you.

There is a sewage plant in the area, and most days you will not have a problem. But there is that one rare day, when the winds are just right, that will make you gag and flee your house, arms flapping, choking on your own screams.

Something you need to consider is where and when you will work. If you are planning on commuting to Austin during rush hour for work, you are going to have some real traffic problems as MANY people that live out in Bastrop, Elgin ect. travel to Austin for work. If you are heading West into town it can be tough. If you can hop on the toll road and head north, it can be expensive, but a little better traffic wise.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM

14,448 posts, read 20,870,035 times
The Hornsby Bend treatment plant is directly NE of the Airport. You are not likely to smell it from a 10 minute drive away. You will also still be a long ways from Bastrop where the fires were. There is also a County Jail directly East of the airport, but again you will be a fairly good distance away from that. The areas East of the airport are mostly farm land with a few small subdivisions sprinkled in.

I don't have kids so don't pay a lot of attention to which schools are the best. The closest school district is Del Valle, I do not believe it is considered one of the best.

I think the area is a good choice if you want to live in the country and have some acerage, but still be relatively close to Austin. When you get East of Austin much of the area has highly expansive clay soils, which can require a substantially well built foundation and drilled piers to resist foundation problems from soil movement. It might be worth contacting a geotechnical engineering company to find out what they would expect the soils to be like in that area. There are several listed here. Bastrop Geotechnical | Geotechnical in Bastrop, TX - YP.com I have worked with Holt in the past, they are a good company.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:22 PM

4,030 posts, read 6,272,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro9 View Post
Hello everyone....
Does anyone have on opinion, know or live in the surrounding area of the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport?
I am about to make an offer on a piece of land just east of the airport, but don't know the area at all.
At the moment, I reside in Chicago, IL but plan on moving to Austin in the near future, thus the purchase.
Any and all opinions or suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks in advance
East austin has cheap land for a reason. The city first moved north and west and now is filling in the south. The east traditionally has been where light industrial, wastewater treatment and garbage dumps have gone in (along with farming). The new F1 track (circuit of the americas) is close by the airport and the first race is scheduled for november. The land is cheap, flat and the neighbors will generally be lower income.

The future of the east side is very unpredictable. With the construction of 130 and the gentrification of the area just east of I35 downtown, I predict the lower middle class will be pushed further east. The question is will they mostly settle east of 183 or will they go further out past 130.

What kind of environment are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin