Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 AM

198 posts, read 397,679 times

Advertisements

I've only been to Phoenix once and enjoyed it but cant compare it to Austin. If I were you, I would go back to Phoenix since you love it and already know the area. Why rush and buy a house in a city you're not sure about? You stated you lived in CA for a year and didnt like it. I wouldnt make such a huge financial decision based on a few opinions off the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:05 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjianna View Post
I just wanted to bump this for any additional opinions of PHX vs Austin? It is "crunch time" here and we are either moving back to Phoenix or starting fresh and new in Austin. Looking to buy a house in 2 months. Any more viewpoints? Thanks!
My viepoint is That you need to spend some time here before deciding to buy.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
This ^^^. I hate Phoenix and would never live there, if SoCal weather is too changeable for you, I have to imagine that Texas will not suit. Was in the 90s earlier this week, cold front just came through, high tomorrow in the 60s. And then there is summer which last practically half the year, I can give you the July forecast right now, high 97, low 77 (at about 4:30 am) can be 85 at 10 pm. August and early September can be even hotter. Summers are usually dry, unless we get a string of tropical storms and then it can be wet.

Regarding horses, looking around Georgetown is good but get a realtor who knows horses otherwise you will end up with clay that sucks the shoes off horses or a crust of soil over limestone. Have you considered Kentucky or Tennessee? Moderate weather, great horse country.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katjianna View Post
Thank you for the opinions so far. The inconsistent weather may be an issue. I loved that Phoenix was the same weather day in and day out, it was easy to plan activities and prepare for [horse] shows. The rain can make life difficult with horses for sure. I think the weather differences are my main concern. I do dislike that here in CA is varies so much.

So nice to hear that the people are wonderful though, thats a big plus for me!

There is alot in Austin that would be a good fit for me. I will have to look up hay prices in Austin. Here in SoCal it is $20 a bale! Thats simply insane! I pay outrageous prices on everything, sit in traffic for hours and 8 out of 10 people are just incredibly rude. This is definitely not "home" for me, can't wait to leave! We will be visiting Austin again in a couple of months and I can't wait.

Any other opinions please share. Thanks!
I think the inconsistent weather thing is relative to what you are used to. I moved to Pennsylvania from Austin... now this weather is inconsistent

While Austin weather has some inconsistancies in the winter and spring where it can go up and down a lot, there is 7 months or so from April through October where it was just boringly consistent. Either sunny blue skies and warm, or sunny blue skies and hot. You'll get hte bad storm, but that clears out fast.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 PM

23 posts, read 66,668 times
Thanks for all of the help/opinions. We have visited Austin in the past and liked it. I can get a much nicer horse property in Austin than I can in Phoenix, which is why we are heavily considering it. I am originally from Ohio and HATE cold, so I think after a year in SoCal I have gotten used to changes in weather (compared to 365 hot/sunny in Phoenix), I am just perhaps more fearful that the winters may be too cold compared to the weather being inconsistent. We are looking at Leander now if anyone has any input on that particular city? Thank you for the reminder that the soil is very different in different areas and can make horsekeeping difficult/pull off shoes. I will keep that in mind. Anyone know a good horse knowledgeable realtor? Cannot do Ky or TN, need a big tech area since husband is a software eng. And I need warm weather. So for us it is: stay in SoCal (love the beaches) but give up nearly everything else, things are very $$! PHX: familiar but heat is insane, very much of a concrete wasteland (beautiful desert being torn down everywhere), and I can only get 1 acre for my horses since it is so landlocked or Austin where we can meet some nice folks (not the jerks in SoCal!) get a beautiful home and a beautiful barn on 5 acres for half of what we would pay here. I suppose I just answered my own question, it may be worth it to try it out for a few years! ** Just hope the winters aren't too cold and there is enough sunshine!** Thats probably my main worry if I really sit and think about the choice. Any input?

Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Okay, if you're moving here for horses, while there are exceptions (and I can point them out), you're likely going to want to be east of I35 due to soil. West of I35 you get a lot of limestone. East you get either Houston Black (black gumbo clay) or sandy loam, the latter being preferable, but we have the Houston Black here and while it's a bit of a pain, it can be worked with.

Are you thinking living in an equestrian community or on a few acres in the country? Both are readily available, depending on your price point. Winters being too cold isn't really an issue - folks ride year round here, being more likely to not ride in August when it's really really hot than in December/January, when there are some really nice days most year. You will sometimes get days when it's in the 70's and then in the 40's, but that still means you can ride part of the day! The shows tend to be in the spring and fall, though there are some sprinkled throughout the year in some areas. There's a thriving horse culture here, everything from Western to English to Dressage to CDE's, or some combination of them, depending on your pleasure.

Georgetown is a pretty town, and there's equestrian communities surrounding it, plus horse properties with houses dotted throughout the area. Pretty easy access to I35 and 130, as well, to hop on and go to horse shows north and south of Georgetown.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
Listen to TexasHorseLady! She knows the score! And sunshine, we've got that!

Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
If you want to live a rural life and enjoy horses, there's not too much of that lifestyle in Austin. Austin is a mid-sized city flanked with a ginormous amount of Houston-style sprawl. So, I definitely would not move here, based on what you described you're looking for.

However, I would consider: Lockhart, Leander, Bastrop, Georgetown, Smithville, Wimberly. Salado is one of my very favorite towns, it's so yummy I could eat it up with a spoon. They aren't Austin, but you can easily come in for the day -- or a weekend -- and hang out with the "city crowd."

Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
If you want to live a rural life and enjoy horses, there's not too much of that lifestyle in Austin. Austin is a mid-sized city flanked with a ginormous amount of Houston-style sprawl. So, I definitely would not move here, based on what you described you're looking for.

However, I would consider: Lockhart, Leander, Bastrop, Georgetown, Smithville, Wimberly. Salado is one of my very favorite towns, it's so yummy I could eat it up with a spoon. They aren't Austin, but you can easily come in for the day -- or a weekend -- and hang out with the "city crowd."
OP specifically stated they were looking at Georgetown

Old 04-19-2013, 08:39 AM

215 posts, read 351,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
OP specifically stated they were looking at Georgetown
The OP titled the thread as Austin. When did Georgetown join with Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin