U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 AM

55 posts, read 91,580 times
Default Circle C Water Prices

Hi, We will be relocating in a couple of months and Circle C is one of the areas we are considering. One thing someone mentioned to us is that the City of Austin's water rates are high. (I understand the rates are affected by the number of gallons used).We looked online and found the rates, which do seem to be higher than other communities, such as Lakeway and Round Rock.

Can anyone respond to this as to what their water bills usually run, especially in the summer when you water the grass?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

196 posts, read 222,639 times
I actually have my water bill right here at my desk. Non-peak month's, my city utility bill is around $125. It includes water, wastewater, solid waste (garbage), drainage service, and street service. During the summer it was around $400, so it does really climb.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM

8,700 posts, read 17,663,188 times
Quote:
I actually have my water bill right here at my desk. Non-peak month's, my city utility bill is around $125. It includes water, wastewater, solid waste (garbage), drainage service, and street service. During the summer it was around $400, so it does really climb
Wow! Our total utility bill (including electric) barely got above $400 this summer, which was high. Watering was on a reduced schedule due to drought, though. In any case, we pay COA water and during the worst months of the year it is just under $200/month, mainly due to yard watering. The rest of the year it is pretty low, probably $60 or less.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM

499 posts, read 596,001 times
It all depends on your yard size, type of grass, and how green (or brown) you want it to be in the summer.

If you use a large amount of summer water, then yes, many suburbs or outlying towns--like Round Rock--have cheaper rates than COA water. Round Rock's rates are even cheaper over 2000 gallons which goes by pretty darn fast in the summer. For low water users the rates aren't all that different, I think. Of course, if you're a low water you probably wouldn't be asking

Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM

196 posts, read 222,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Wow! Our total utility bill (including electric) barely got above $400 this summer, which was high. Watering was on a reduced schedule due to drought, though. In any case, we pay COA water and during the worst months of the year it is just under $200/month, mainly due to yard watering. The rest of the year it is pretty low, probably $60 or less.

I should have mentioned that I have a larger than normal Circle C lot (1/3 acre). Over the summer, it seemed like all of our neighbors had similar priced bills, but we all have larger than average lots.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM

14,320 posts, read 20,138,293 times
My highest water bill was $248 in Sept. Even with that parts of my lawn burned in the heat watering once per week. Lowest was $19 in Feb.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:24 AM

296 posts, read 489,070 times
There is a reason the typical inner-city lot is 0.164 acres.

Lawn watering is the main culprit on the Utility bill.

There is a lot of fixed fees on the COA bill, and they are going up all the time.

If i had to do this over, i'd buy into an inner-city neighborhood with a gracious HOA. A park/playing field nearby would be nice. The grass is greener over there

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM

2,255 posts, read 2,644,815 times
My water bill this month was !17.23 for water and 26.05 for waste water. The bill that this comes with also includes solid waste (trash) and "drainage" and street sweeping, so it came all together to $77.94.

My highest month this year seems to have been September, which was $253 total, with $178 being water and $41 being waste water.

I am hoping to lower that some this summer by making changes to my yard. In December I changed my two side yard strips of lawn to rocks and stepping stones, so no watering there (and no mowing ). That may take it down a bit. I am continuing to work on it.

PS: I have a rather small, residential lot.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM

296 posts, read 489,070 times
Just calculated Wastewater averages from the most recent bill. Our 3 month average for this year has ended with this period. Wastewater rates are also tier, higher than water rates and are set for the year based on the 3 month average.

And now the statistic. We came out at a very respectable 32 gallons per person per day (Austin water's goal is 140 gallons per person per day). My third world mafia techniques are starting to bear fruit. And yes, everyone in my household does shower every day

Wish the rains would continue throughout the summer. That would give lovely lawns and greenery for us all.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:31 AM

14,320 posts, read 20,138,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
Just calculated Wastewater averages from the most recent bill. Our 3 month average for this year has ended with this period. Wastewater rates are also tier, higher than water rates and are set for the year based on the 3 month average.

And now the statistic. We came out at a very respectable 32 gallons per person per day (Austin water's goal is 140 gallons per person per day). My third world mafia techniques are starting to bear fruit. And yes, everyone in my household does shower every day

Wish the rains would continue throughout the summer. That would give lovely lawns and greenery for us all.
For some people the wastewater averaging could continue until mid-March. Look on your bill, paragraph 3 or so should tell you when your averaging period ends.

Quote:
Wastewater Averaging | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin
The wastewater averaging cycle that determines wastewater charges began November 15, 2011. This averaging cycle, which will continue until mid-March 2012,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin