Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:01 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,589,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Mine has a tree so I am pulling out the grass and replacing with mulch. Others in my neighborhood and replaced sod with succulant plants and decomposed granite. Lantana will fill almost any space!
This is starting to happen here in my 'burb. I'm on the ACC committee and we just approved someone who is replacing that streetside strip of grass with granite and heat tolerant plants. We've also been doing that with our front yard, slowly replacing the grass with various beds and drought tolerant plants. We've left our oak trees up though because of the shade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,190 times
How do I deal with my association that keeps fining me when I don't water my grass? My grass is struggling but it not totally dead.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,362,556 times
If SB 198 passes (and it is well along the process, through the Senate, through the House committee and waiting on a floor vote) you'll be able to install xeriscaping regardless of what your HOA covenent says.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,239,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
If SB 198 passes (and it is well along the process, through the Senate, through the House committee and waiting on a floor vote) you'll be able to install xeriscaping regardless of what your HOA covenent says.
Depends on what you mean by "xeriscaping". From the bill:

(d) This section does not:
(4) prohibit a property owners' association from
regulating the installation or use of gravel, rocks, or cacti;

Installing buffalo grass? Yes. Removing your turf and replacing it with decomposed granite and flagstone? Probably not, w/o a change in the covenants.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,099,806 times
I wonder when HOA's will lose the power to have a subjective power over landscaping in subjective ways.

Having all this non-native grass is like growing rice in Texas. makes me go huh?

Old 04-30-2013, 03:28 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,377,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "xeriscaping". From the bill:

(d) This section does not:
(4) prohibit a property owners' association from
regulating the installation or use of gravel, rocks, or cacti;

Installing buffalo grass? Yes. Removing your turf and replacing it with decomposed granite and flagstone? Probably not, w/o a change in the covenants.
Fortunately, many HOA's are allowing these. I know mine has been approving them left and right - particularly on the "nuisance strip" between side walk and curb. Definitely going to be one of my summer projects - as soon as I can figure out what I want it to look like.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,377,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
I wonder when HOA's will lose the power to have a subjective power over landscaping in subjective ways.

Having all this non-native grass is like growing rice in Texas. makes me go huh?
And TX is the 4th largest producer of rice in the nation!

The easiest way to turn the power of an HOA around when it comes to totally subjective things like landscaping - get on the committee that approves this stuff and change it from within.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:41 PM

3,836 posts, read 5,732,225 times
Austin should just raise the price of water and people can decide for themselves how important a green lush lawn in the middle of a drought is to them.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM

499 posts, read 1,300,667 times
Some of my neighbors have been tearing out grass and putting in gravel. The few that put in enough plants to cover it, it looks great. Some just have wide swaths of rock, which I think looks terrible. I'd rather look at brown grass than brown gravel. Sure we have water shortages but it's not like we live in Phoenix.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,239,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Austin should just raise the price of water and people can decide for themselves how important a green lush lawn in the middle of a drought is to them.
You are exactly right! This is immoral. There is no place in Austin for such warped values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin