U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:35 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,950,089 times
It is funny, but a surprising number of my friends are posting pictures of themselves (mainly on FB) with Leslie from the past 20 years or so. And, sadly, although I have been around him several times, I never though to get a picture .

I remember my route home from work took me past the Safeway at Braker and Lamar, and Leslie was there pretty much every day protesting Safeway (they had apparently hosed him down with water to get him to leave the premises or some such thing). One of my co-workers was a very up-tight guy that would occasionally go out to lunch with us, and it was one of those priceless moments one day when we stopped at the light and there was Leslie in a thong and heels, about 5 feet from his window. He (the co-worker) about had a coronary right then and there. Leslie blew him a kiss. I guess that would have been 96 or 97ish, not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM

4,504 posts, read 2,517,691 times
Leslie liked to drink at the Bakehouse on Manchaca every now & then. Saw him in the bar once when I was visiting the owner of the place.

Carl never had a problem with him and welcomed his friendly business.

He did get around town alright.

I recall an article in the AAS several years ago about some West Austin McMansion owner who couldn't stay in his big house until he got the chronic mold problem resolved. But he had Leslie house-sit in the place for a few months to keep intruders away.

Unread 03-09-2012, 10:39 AM

773 posts, read 478,215 times
For those of you who want to help ...

I spoke with one of Leslie's close friends last night (she helped organize the parade and memorial) and asked how and where I could best donate money to offset some of the costs. She told me that there are still Leslie magnets at Book People, and by this afternoon, the store hopes to have Leslie posters for sale. You can donate whatever you like for a set of magnets or posters.

Leslie's family has incurred some costs that they need help with, and your donations go to putting them up while they're here, as well as getting them back home. They are such sweet people.

Unread 03-09-2012, 11:58 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,773,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
...(heck, a downtown "mixologist" should name a drink after him)
This is a hilarious idea! I would try one of those for sure.

Unread 03-09-2012, 12:07 PM

6,646 posts, read 9,500,313 times
I think a yearly festival in his honor might be the best tribute. He was always showing up to every free festival in Austin.

Unread 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM

2,581 posts, read 4,902,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think a yearly festival in his honor might be the best tribute. He was always showing up to every free festival in Austin.
Lesliefest, I love it! Dressing "differently" would be encouraged.

I once saw Leslie at Azul Tequlia in June wearing a Christmas stocking and a red skirt. What a hoot!

Unread 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM

6,646 posts, read 9,500,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

I once saw Leslie at Azul Tequlia in June wearing a Christmas stocking and a red skirt. What a hoot!
My primary memory of him was from a festival. It was a festival at town lake, not sure which one... might have even been the short lived "Road to Austin" free music fest. Anyway, I was standing in line at a vending stand, and my GF at the time was with me... and at one point, she kind of nudged me and told me to turn around. I did so, and was directly facing Leslie's backside. He was taking a picture with someone and I was right behind them. Anyway, didn't think to talk to him... but kinda wish I had. After that we saw him somewhat regularly in the South Lamar area on the street, and at some coffee shops. We'd always wave or say hi but that's it. One time I could have sworn I saw him in a parking garage in south Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) and wondered what he was doing there... but I could have been mistaken.

Anyway, a festival like Eeyores (Not corporate, no BatFest or Keep Austin Weird fest) in his honor just strikes me as a neat idea. Maybe to commemorate his birthday, or the day he moved to Austin, or one of the days he announced he'd run for mayor... something like that.

Unread 03-09-2012, 01:31 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,141,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Anyway, a festival like Eeyores (Not corporate, no BatFest or Keep Austin Weird fest) in his honor just strikes me as a neat idea. Maybe to commemorate his birthday, or the day he moved to Austin, or one of the days he announced he'd run for mayor... something like that.
Oh lord. What would be the dress code for that festival. I have pretty legs....but I am not going to shave them so I can get a pair of thigh highs on.

Unread 03-09-2012, 04:19 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,677,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
yeah, that would be awesome.

Unread 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM

4,504 posts, read 2,517,691 times
I read this post on a Texas sportsboard a little while ago - thought y'all would like to see it:

Quote:
True story posted on FB by my older brother who lives in Abilene:

Sad news - A gentle and original spirit. Leslie rode his bicycle, towing his refrigerator-box mobilehome, thru my Beer Barn back in the mid-nineties, wanting a warm 6pk of Guinness Stout. I told him, as a devout Texan, I only had cold beer, including Guinness. We visited and he told me he was going cross-country on his contraption of a hacienda, coming from Seattle, headed to Dallas and points east. He was dressed very smartly in a matching beige jacket & short skirt & tan heels, with that curly Leslie hair and scraggly Van Dyke beard. He would come by regularly as I was now keeping his 6 pk of Guinnes at room temp. He spent the night inside the drive-thru one night when we had a big snow, since his cardboard hut wasn't heated.

A few weeks later, after a hospital stay, caused by some Abilene punk who had hit him across the face with a 2x4, while Leslie was biking down the street, he came in to say goodbye. I told him he should head to Austin, which would be more to his liking than Dallas. I told him about all the live music, better weather, and a city that would be more in line with his creativity and originality. He decided to try Austin, and I guess he never left. I saw him on 6th Street several years later, he gave me a big hug and then mugged for the camera with me - it was good old Leslie, just being Leslie. You can't describe how he was or who he was on a tombstone, but he deserved to be treated with respect, and honored for his bold sense of humor and originality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin