Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 61,232 times

Advertisements

Took me 2 weeks to get in for a routine exam, and just got a call 30 minutes before my appointment that they needed to cancel my appointment because the Dr had to deliver a baby. What?? In my experience in that sort of situation doesn't another Dr. deliver the baby - when their current Dr has set appointments? Just wondering if this is normal or if that was completely rude? I am miffed. I called back and told them just to cancel my appointment all together. I travel for work so when they cancel appointments like this, it totally throws off my schedule, but hey, I guess the Dr's schedule is more important than anyone else's!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-07-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Consumer complaints not permitted per ToS as they present defamation issues w/o giving the other side of the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
Took me 2 weeks to get in for a routine exam, and just got a call 30 minutes before my appointment that they needed to cancel my appointment because the Dr had to deliver a baby. What?? In my experience in that sort of situation doesn't another Dr. deliver the baby - when their current Dr has set appointments? Just wondering if this is normal or if that was completely rude? I am miffed. I called back and told them just to cancel my appointment all together. I travel for work so when they cancel appointments like this, it totally throws off my schedule, but hey, I guess the Dr's schedule is more important than anyone else's!
I understand being frustrated, but let's look at it from her point of view.

Doctors cannot control when babies are born (usually). Babies come when they come. Dr. has been treating a woman for 9 months, doing her sonograms, forming a birthing plan, promising to be there for her patient when her baby came into the world.

So she gets a call and is told "your patient is going into labor!" and you expect her to go "So effing what, I have other appointments. Tell her to just squat the baby out on the side of the road".

It sounds to me that the attention and level of care that she gives to her other patients, something you want in a doctor, is why your appointment got cancelled. Why would you want to have an OB-GYN that you KNOW will skip the birth of your child if she has something else going on that day?

It's a one way street with doctors. They cancel appointments and that's that. You cancel, and you get charged. I know it's frustrating. But that's medicine. It's how doctors work. It sounds to me like this Dr. is very concerned about her patients welfare.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 03-07-2012 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: no specific names please - libel defamation

Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM

355 posts, read 923,206 times
If you don't want an OB, than just get a GYN. OBs deliver babies.

An expecting mother's needs, like a doctor who has been with her throughout her pregnancy to actually deliver her baby trumps all other patients in my book. I was so glad and grateful to have my OB actually deliver my children!

You sound like someone who hasn't actually delivered a baby, but you're calling yourself a 'mom' so I don't get it.

Find a practice that has several doctors or also uses a NP or a PA, they can do annual exams.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM

481 posts, read 2,416,920 times
That has happened to me. Seems par for the course with OB/GYN's

Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 AM

361 posts, read 1,163,902 times
What you experienced is completely normal. Put yourself in the delivering mother's shoes...a stranger is going to deliver her baby so her doc can do some routine exams?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Gee, I would think highly of that doctor, canceling a routine appt to go deliver.
Maybe you should look for a group of doctors, not just a single one so that one can cover for another.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
Took me 2 weeks to get in for a routine exam, and just got a call 30 minutes before my appointment that they needed to cancel my appointment because the Dr had to deliver a baby. What?? In my experience in that sort of situation doesn't another Dr. deliver the baby - when their current Dr has set appointments? Just wondering if this is normal or if that was completely rude?
From years of listening to my L&D nurse wife, it's the exact opposite... at least with the few OB/GYN groups that go to her hospital. The doctors priority is delivering their patient if on the clock. They typically only give the "other doctor" treatment in overnight or weekend on-call type situations.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gee, I would think highly of that doctor, canceling a routine appt to go deliver.
Maybe you should look for a group of doctors, not just a single one so that one can cover for another.
This. Definitely.

I go to Renaissance Woman's Group. They can usually fit me in with anyone.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Gee, I recognize this "rant" from Facebook! Is that really you?

When I had my first in Dallas (Richardson), the dr was about 5 minutes away. I went in at 8pm the night before, so he knew in the morning that he would probably be canceling appts. My second here in Austin, the dr was 12 minutes away. I went in at 5:30 in the morning. At 1pm, they thought he wouldn't come until late afternoon, and she only had appts until 3pm... well, baby boy came at 2:09. They called her at 1:45 and told her to get to the hospital.

However, there were three other doctors in her office, plus a PA, so appts were just shuffled, not canceled.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
However, there were three other doctors in her office, plus a PA, so appts were just shuffled, not canceled.
This. I can second the recommendation of The RWG. We had two babies with them as the OB source, and couldn't be happier. My wife had appts rescheduled on at least a couple of occasions, but it is in some ways nice to have a different person assess your situation from time to time - sort of a second opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin