U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM

773 posts, read 518,279 times
Stepped outside to retrieve the mail. Heard shouted by a neighbor: "HEY! You can't park there — it's reserved!"

Response from SXSW Parking Space Stalker: "But I'll only be here a few hours ..."

OH PLEASE MAKE THEM GO HOME.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM

709 posts, read 560,924 times
My favorite week of the year in Austin! =)

I really do love all the new people in town for SXSW. And I love all the excitement and energy. It is always fantastic. So many great new people to meet and so many great shows, events, talks and panels to enjoy.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM

228 posts, read 335,681 times
would love an interactive badge some year - but $600 is a lot to me.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM

10,877 posts, read 8,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormatt View Post
would love an interactive badge some year - but $600 is a lot to me.
That was just for early registration last September. The full-tilt walk-up rate was $950.

And 30,000 people registered for Interactive alone. It's become huge.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,661,390 times
Was riding into work today and saw SxSWers in my neighborhood sleeping in the back of cars. One person was in a sleeping bag on top of a U-haul trailer. Don't fall out of bed with that one - it's about a 10 foot drop!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

3,256 posts, read 2,304,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
OK, time for the curmudgeon hat, and certain disapproval.

IF SXSW disappeared from the face of the earth, my life would improve. I fly out almost every week. Last week, had to drive to SA since tickets from AUS were $700 higher. This week, $1100. Airport is packed for three weeks. We haven't hosted a NCAA first round BB game since '95, because of SXSW. There is serious talk about moving the UIL boys' BB tourney out since the hotels are filled well before the HS know who makes the finals. And don't even think about eating downtown for three weeks.

The problem is, we don't have the elasticity to handle the hordes of 250,000 for SXSW. We are a metro area of 1.7M, with an airport to match. SXSW attracts a national, even international audience, with attendant airline usage much higher than other events that cater more to a state or regional audience. There simply are not the seats to handle that, in addition to the normal commerce that justifies the airport to begin with. And it isn't just the airport - it is everything. Restaurants, streets, you name it. And unlike ACL, or the F1 race, it isn't ONE weekend - it is THREE friggin' weeks!

Maybe if there was some music for this I liked, I might feel different. Wrestling with the moral dilemma of whether or not to holler the N word back at Jay-Z isn't my idea of entertaining.

OK, I am sure several will point out my churlishness. I would point out that my daughter and son-in-law, who met while employed at Maverick Records, who have TONS of music industry friends in town every year, who only have to drive from DFW and could stay with us, don't have any desire. "Dad, there is no way I am getting in the middle of that!" Churlishness must be hereditary.
So SxSW should disappear from your life just to make your flight schedule easier? That's a tad bit selfish don't you think?

Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 AM

229 posts, read 175,448 times
Reading through this thread makes me kind of glad my move back to Austin didn't pan out. While I know a lot of people like SXSW and ACL, they would have driven me bonkers. And don't get me started on quiet neighborhoods that suddenly find themselves next to a club district, as one poster pointed out....

(In fact, this whole thread makes me feel kinda old -- I feel like I have to start every sentence with "Back when I lived in Austin, SXSW wasn't like this at all....")

Last edited by Jehjeh; 03-18-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:03 AM

229 posts, read 175,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
So SxSW should disappear from your life just to make your flight schedule easier? That's a tad bit selfish don't you think?
No, not really. Having to deal with a couple of weeks of a pain-in-the-***** people invasion year after year can lose its novelty rather quickly.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:39 AM

110 posts, read 153,873 times
stop trying to avoid sxsw and be a part of it. move out of Austin if you are that type of person that snarks when it is sxsw.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 AM

451 posts, read 562,207 times
Quote:
move out of Austin if you are that type of person that snarks when it is sxsw.
How about 'at least show some understanding to the people who live there 52 weeks a year when you are blowing up their town for two of those.'

I love that Austin has SXSW but it's foolish to pretend it isn't going to hugely inconvenience everyone who has to attend to business as usual (particularly if business as usual includes the airport or hotels). Given the amount of revenue and attention it brings to Austin, most people probably don't mind the trade, but come on...move out of Austin? How about 'don't come to Austin if you're the kind of person that snarks about people who actually live here.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin