Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:08 PM

343 posts, read 1,604,922 times

Advertisements

BTW, here are the only cities in the USA that can fairly compare with NYC...as follows..
Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington , Miami metro, Philadelphia,
Houston, Dallas metroplex, and Atlanta........that's it.........all other comparisons beg categorisation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Austin isn't Lake Tahoe, but it's not Newark either.

One of the classic lines of all time....said like the great borscht belt comedians in the catskills.Henny Youngman would be proud!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Come on now San Antonio has more than theme parks and the Riverwalk.San Antonio's economy is very diversified.Seven fortune 500 companies call it home.You probably can't name the two historic arts districts or it's world class cultural venues.How about the new Smithsonian downtown?If your an art buff San Antonio does have a respectable scene.I would say more so than Austin.The Riverwalk is being expanded for 12 miles, connecting inner city Suburbs,musuems,cultural venues,new housing,retail.The Riverwalk will be the largest urban linear park in the country.

It's great living in South Central Texas, you have San Antonio and Austin to enjoy.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm going back to south texas, supposedly to Austin, but you may have convinced me to check out SA instead. I like how it has major league sports, amusement parks, and an actual loop in their
interstate. Austin's freeways are like spaghetti strings with open ends, randomly all over, no rhyme or reason....also heard SA is even friendlier
than Austin, which is important to me.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 PM

44 posts, read 188,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Come on now San Antonio has more than theme parks and the Riverwalk.San Antonio's economy is very diversified.Seven fortune 500 companies call it home.You probably can't name the two historic arts districts or it's world class cultural venues.How about the new Smithsonian downtown?If your an art buff San Antonio does have a respectable scene.I would say more so than Austin.The Riverwalk is being expanded for 12 miles, connecting inner city Suburbs,musuems,cultural venues,new housing,retail.The Riverwalk will be the largest urban linear park in the country.

It's great living in South Central Texas, you have San Antonio and Austin to enjoy.
OK, you got me there.. When I was younger, (MUCH YOUNGER) I realized that, not only do they serve adult beverages in many establishments along the Riverwalk, but the undeniable, irresistible romantic ambiance of the Riverwalk at night was held in astronomically high regard by the ladies (all ladies). From that moment, I never really found it logical (quite silly in fact) to go anywhere else in SA. And, some years later when I had children (a natural result I suppose, of the affore mentioned thought process) I discovered that they had also had Sea World and Fiesta Texas, which were held in equally high regard by children (all children). Twas then that I discovered that I could kill two birds with one stone as it were... Hero to the kids, romantic devil to the wife. What could be better?

I'm sure that as you say, SA has many fine qualities and economic diversity and blah blah... However I believe it was Albert Einstein who once said "The definition of insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result". Ergo, when I go to San Antonio, I take the kids to Fiesta Texas and Sea World and they love me for a week in advance and a week afterward. We go to the Riverwalk for dinner, bring the (completely worn out..) kids back to our adjoining rooms at the Hotel (Marriot Courtyard is quite comfrtable and half the price of the Riverwalk Hotels. two rooms for the price on one ) put 'em to bed and park a hotel screened sitter with 'em, then we go back out where they still serve adult beverages and the ambiance is still held in astronomical regard by the the Mrs. and we're Newlyweds for a week in advance and a week afterward. (All I can handle in my advanced years)

In other words, although I do admit, that perhaps they have built other attractions in SA in recent years, I have discovered the formula that produces my desired result. I ain't gonna change it. That would be insane..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,622,466 times
I agree with wisemommaerts.

After a year in Austin, it is a comfortable big town disguised as a city.

It's just a pleasant place to live.
If it exists in Austin, it's a close drive and the activity is accessible (you can do it).

Austin has really grown on us.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:31 AM

12 posts, read 36,256 times
Default your list is meaningless

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
BTW, here are the only cities in the USA that can fairly compare with NYC...as follows..
Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington , Miami metro, Philadelphia,
Houston, Dallas metroplex, and Atlanta........that's it.........all other comparisons beg categorisation
Please enlighten me: how is a comparison of NYC and Dallas fair while a comparison of NYC and Phoenix requires categorisation?

Last edited by white rob; 10-23-2007 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: slightly less sarcastic

Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,324,903 times
~a small prayer~

Lord, please let Austin stay just like it is. I wouldn't want it to be a bit like NYC, or LA, or Miami, or any other town where the locals there feel it needs to change to be more like them.

Amen.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 58,974 times
buy a car. just go ahead and do it, even if you don't want to. get a cheap little used car. you won't see very much of austin if you ride the bus. you can very easily find a nice apartment to rent or condo or small house to buy for at or below $1000 a month. just try to be within 5 miles of where you work so your commute won't take more than 15 minutes.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,870,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
~a small prayer~

Lord, please let Austin stay just like it is. I wouldn't want it to be a bit like NYC, or LA, or Miami, or any other town where the locals there feel it needs to change to be more like them.

Amen.

No place stays "just like it is". That's simply unrealistic. Try to manage the change in a positive manner.

Your's truthfully,
Lord

Old 10-23-2007, 12:33 PM

90 posts, read 184,808 times
Yea when Mom2Feebs stated "please let Austin stay just like it is" I was thinking not today's Austin. I would have asked for Austin pre-1990 if I could make a wish and have it come true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin