U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM

7 posts, read 67,725 times
Post Austin experience: bore, expensive and ...

Hi,

I live in New York City. I had the opportunity to visit Austin for 2 days, possible job transfer. The job would be located in South East Austin, near E Oltorf Street. My experience of Austin is:

1) As compared to New York, found it quite boring, not much to see in downtown, there are many major department stores, museums, theaters in Manhattan, but couldn't find any except Whole Foods store. Even famous 6th street did not have much excitement.

2) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown is expensive(at least $1600 a month). I know it is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but I live in one of the borough of New York, and can 1 bedroom apartment in decent, elevator building for about $1300 per month, with subway within 1-3 blocks.

3) I was told by realtors in Austin that downtown apartments with elevator would cost at least 500K, which is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but in outer borough, can buy for about 250K, which would be roughly 20-30 minutes subway ride to Manhattan.

4) It is inconvenient. Need to drive, although can take bus, but would have to wait for at least 15 minutes in uncomfortable hot weather.

Can anyone comment on above, and suggest how to overcome above issues. If the job is going to be in South East Austin, is that a decent place to live(need an elevator building, but found only walkups). Also, did not see any houses/townhomes in that area to buy.

Last edited by vk999; 09-10-2007 at 06:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM

190 posts, read 15,288 times
Austin's certainly not boring - it may not be like New York, but there is a lot going on there. For a southern city, it is extremely progressive and even cosmopolitan.

Yes, it's expensive but that's the draw to down town living - it's in the center of all the action.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM

963 posts, read 1,861,937 times
You can get 1 bedrooms condos in the brand new highrises downtown starting at a little over 200k. 2 bedrooms can be had starting in the 300s.

If you truly are interested, look into the Monarch building which is starting their sales process right now and has prices in this range.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:04 PM

4,013 posts, read 6,105,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk999 View Post
Hi,

I live in New York City. I had the opportunity to visit Austin for 2 days, possible job transfer. The job would be located in South East Austin, near E Oltorf Street. My experience of Austin is:

1) As compared to New York, found it quite boring, not much to see in downtown, there are many major department stores, museums, theaters in Manhattan, but couldn't find any except Whole Foods store. Even famous 6th street did not have much excitement.

2) Renting a 1 bedroom apartment in downtown is expensive(at least $1600 a month). I know it is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but I live in one of the borough of New York, and can 1 bedroom apartment in decent, elevator building for about $1300 per month, with subway within 1-3 blocks.

3) I was told by realtors in Austin that downtown apartments with elevator would cost at least 500K, which is cheap as compared to Manhattan, but in outer borough, can buy for about 250K, which would be roughly 20-30 minutes subway ride to Manhattan.

4) It is inconvenient. Need to drive, although can take bus, but would have to wait for at least 15 minutes in uncomfortable hot weather.

Can anyone comment on above, and suggest how to overcome above issues. If the job is going to be in South East Austin, is that a decent place to live(need an elevator building, but found only walkups). Also, did not see any houses/townhomes in that area to buy.

If you are looking to try to compare new york to austin in the areas where new york is strong then of course austin cant even compare. Restaurants, night life, museums etc.

Austin is a small town so it has things that new york cant compete with like acreage properties, large houses, friendly people, low crime rate, great school systems, very little gang activity, cleanliness, lot's of outdoors activities etc.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM

791 posts, read 1,478,175 times
Downtown Austin Condo Projects

I guess the only alternative to waiting in the heat would be freezing in the cold.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM

8,629 posts, read 15,997,252 times
Austin97 said it better than I could.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:50 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,292,303 times
It's the people my friend, the people. Not saying New Yorkers are bad, but you pay for quality, not quantity .

Just welcome here. If you can enjoy no snow in the winter, then this place will feel like home.
In all honesty, that is not expensive. I am not sure, but IMHO anything East of Austin is pretty ruff, but getting better.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM

5,308 posts, read 8,813,547 times
You will not find NYC type amenities or culture in Austin. Not even close. To even compare the much larger and more sophisticated cities of Houston or Dallas to NYC would be a stretch.

Go to Austin for Austin, not because you expect something else. HTH

Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

8,629 posts, read 15,997,252 times
East Austin=rougher East OF Austin=just fine, only not as scenic or well to do as West.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:32 PM

55 posts, read 240,715 times
I don't even think you can compare Austin to NYC. They are both different, so you have to expect that there are going to be some major differences. Each have their own pros and cons and your decision to move here would be dependent on whether or not Austin's pros line up with what you are seeking in a place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin